Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 07:30:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBelfry Devisee
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Belfry Devisee  (Read 1300 times)
Abe Bly
Level 0

saepe fidelis

View Profile WWW
« on: June 03, 2014, 02:01:15 PM »

Platformer with Roguelike and Metroidvania influences. Jumping puzzles and one-on-one combat and some light exploration elements. The name refers to the protagonist, a young witch who must prove her mettle to inherit her warlock fathers' tower. A belfry is the part at the top of a tower where the bells are, and a devisee is someone who inherits property.

The latest video of the game in action (bugs ahoy):

-Why-
At the time I started working on this, I didn't think any roguelikes had done platforming justice yet. I grew up playing Crash Bandicoot and Donkey Kong Country, games with super tight platforming and interesting jumping puzzles. So I set out to see if such a thing could be recreated procedurally.

-How-
Game Maker: Studio, Adobe Illustrator and Spine, mostly. The game will feature five different worlds, or maps, for each run of the game. Each map consists of a number of interconnected rooms. Rooms can be one to three screens wide and one or two screens tall, and have zero to two doors on each side. For each room phenotype, a handful of templates exist to be picked from. Within each template are regions for platforming sections or enemies to fill in.

Example 2x2 room being constructed and tested:

To construct a map that the game will use, I create a list of rooms to be created in the order that they need to be. The starting room, check point rooms, puzzle rooms, mini boss, et cetera. Then I iterate through the list, snaking ever upward to create the tower, to create the critical path. Some of the rooms on the list branch off of the critical path, and this is accounted for. While setting up the path, I mark areas that can potentially branch off to irrelevant paths (for extra looting), then afterward I look for all of these and potentially stick another room or two onto them.

The content within each room is created when first visited by the player. This saves a few seconds at the beginning and only costs a frame or two when travelling to room.

Currently, I'm using music from abundant-music.com. I download the MIDI files, change the instruments, run them through SynthFont using the Titanic sound font, then export that. It's not great, and it's subject to change when I come into some more money, but it's good enough for now.

-Screenshots-

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic