Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 02:08:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRip
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Rip  (Read 13805 times)
GIRakaCHEEZER
Level 0

Shining Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »

Been awhile since I've had something to post here.

We're planning on making the game 800x600 now, since the character sprites are a bit too large for the current resolution of 640x480.  Soon we will release a patch with the new resolution, as well as some minor updates for chapter 1.

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »

Hey!!! I'm a huge fan of Oneshot. Really looking forward to this game, the watercolor esq aesthetic reminds me a bit of Moon rpg. This game is really really really pretty.

Keep up the hard work.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 06:21:24 PM »

You're the first to complain about there being too much dialogue, but you're not the first to complain about not being about to get through the dialogue fast enough.  I'll look into making it so that you can go through dialogue events faster.

But Rip is very much planned to be a story-driven and plot-heavy game, so it may seem somewhat VN-ish or RPG-ish with the amounts of dialogue, yeah.

Well, the first issues the second (People will complain about dialog speed when they are not interested in reading it, and that happens when there's too much thus they ask you a way to skip it)
If you really want to make the dialog memorable, make it interactive, for example an illusion of choice (Give them control of the main character, so that they can respond to the others, but also make it so that every response will get you to the same dialog, for example:)
Chloe: Rip... There you are.. I've been looking all over for you!
Rip: Hey Chloe ...
Chloe: BlaBla has been imprisonned or whatever (I have no ideas sorry)
Rip:
Choice 1: What? leads: BadGuy123 took him to EvilPlace456
Choice 2: Whatever ... leads: Rip ... this is serious! Rip: Ok calm down so watup then leads to : BadGuy123 took him to EvilPlace456, space out the questions, you don't need every text to be a question but some of them so that the player doesn't get bored
Also, make it shorter so that the player will always look forward to funny jokes and stuff like that
Finally, art looks great
GIRakaCHEEZER
Level 0

Shining Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 11:15:25 PM »

Hey!!! I'm a huge fan of Oneshot. Really looking forward to this game, the watercolor esq aesthetic reminds me a bit of Moon rpg. This game is really really really pretty.

Keep up the hard work.

Thank you for your support!

You're the first to complain about there being too much dialogue, but you're not the first to complain about not being about to get through the dialogue fast enough.  I'll look into making it so that you can go through dialogue events faster.

But Rip is very much planned to be a story-driven and plot-heavy game, so it may seem somewhat VN-ish or RPG-ish with the amounts of dialogue, yeah.

Well, the first issues the second (People will complain about dialog speed when they are not interested in reading it, and that happens when there's too much thus they ask you a way to skip it)
If you really want to make the dialog memorable, make it interactive, for example an illusion of choice (Give them control of the main character, so that they can respond to the others, but also make it so that every response will get you to the same dialog, for example:)
Chloe: Rip... There you are.. I've been looking all over for you!
Rip: Hey Chloe ...
Chloe: BlaBla has been imprisonned or whatever (I have no ideas sorry)
Rip:
Choice 1: What? leads: BadGuy123 took him to EvilPlace456
Choice 2: Whatever ... leads: Rip ... this is serious! Rip: Ok calm down so watup then leads to : BadGuy123 took him to EvilPlace456, space out the questions, you don't need every text to be a question but some of them so that the player doesn't get bored
Also, make it shorter so that the player will always look forward to funny jokes and stuff like that
Finally, art looks great

Yeah the dialogue definitely needs some trimming or at least pacing right now.  We're looking into how to fix it.

Devlog update time:

The graphics engine has been reworked a bit to be faster and more optimized for performance.  These optimizations will benefit those with slower computers or laptops and those who want to record/stream footage of the game. 

Graphics performance is a bit hard to test I find, so I had the game generate some statistics for testing, those being a "busy rate" (how often the drawing thread is busy when a game-repaint request is issued) and a "success rate" (how many frames are actually drawn out of those requested).  Testing was performed on my laptop with the battery setting set to "Power saver", since it's the easiest way I can induce slow-down in the game.  With the new changes to the graphics engine, the busy rate dropped from 60-80% to 30-40%, and the success rate went up from being at 80% before to 95% now.  And even though I'm just throwing around numbers here, you could definitely feel the difference too as you played.  On other power settings besides power saver, the busy rate stays close to 0% and the success rate close to 100% most of the time, so differences in performance on these power settings was negligible.

We're planning on pushing out another demo once we polish up chapter 1 some more.

Nightmargin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 11:46:03 PM »

Greetings everyone I have returned with fresh art

Smiley
GIRakaCHEEZER
Level 0

Shining Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 11:18:38 PM »

Oh wow, it's sure been a long time since we've posted here, but...

Bless You, Rip Demo 0.110 released!

This update’s mainly just to bring the old demo up to speed with the new engine.  There’s no new or revised story content in this release, but there are tweaks to the game play.  And, of course, the switch to a resolution of 800x600 instead of 640x480 debuts in this demo, making the game less cramped.  (Full details on what’s been changed this version can be seen here)

So go grab it here if you wanna see the new engine!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »

Super pretty. Not sure if I think combat fits into something like this at all, but that's your choice.

That sepia flashback in the first post made me think of Jack Harkness and his brother in Torchwood / Dr. Who. Let's hope this brother is less angry!

And after clicking that link, bless you for building for Mac and Linux as well! Tears of Joy

You on Twitter?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:53:01 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 06:09:45 PM »

Character design is really cute, reminds me of a game I really like Cave Story
I haven't looked into much beyond these two pages but I hope the music is rather charming, I'll have to check out your demo if it's on here.
GIRakaCHEEZER
Level 0

Shining Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »

Super pretty. Not sure if I think combat fits into something like this at all, but that's your choice.

That sepia flashback in the first post made me think of Jack Harkness and his brother in Torchwood / Dr. Who. Let's hope this brother is less angry!

And after clicking that link, bless you for building for Mac and Linux as well! Tears of Joy

You on Twitter?

The current demo has a bit of a heavy focus on combat, but we're thinking of changing the game to be a bit more focused on puzzles and such.

We don't have a dedicated distribution for Mac and Linux (for windows we have a native executable launcher), but the game will still run if you run the jar file.

And yeah, I have a twitter: @GIRakaCHEEZER  (I've updated my forum signature with a link to the account as well).

Character design is really cute, reminds me of a game I really like Cave Story
I haven't looked into much beyond these two pages but I hope the music is rather charming, I'll have to check out your demo if it's on here.

We do have a demo, which can be downloaded here: http://www.axebunny.com/Download.html

GIRakaCHEEZER
Level 0

Shining Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »

Showing off the ability for the engine to have multiple mirrored surfaces, and a more proper implementation than the old one.  There’s 3 different mirrors in this gif alone.

The new mirror system was made specifically for this area, since this is the first place (and maybe the only place) where we'll need multiple mirrored surfaces.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic