Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 03:25:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1955967 times)
Jordan
Level 1

One time known as Flaming Pear.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2660 on: August 21, 2009, 12:07:28 AM »

Where to start? My name is Jordan Magnuson. I'm Swedish-American and tall. My parents raised me in North Africa. I like spicy foods that aren't pure evil demon ichor. I like to sit alone and think. I like to talk to people who like to sit alone and think, and sometimes I like to talk to other people too. I'm more philosophical than does me any good. I can't make decisions because I never properly understood the purpose of the pro-con list, and so I always balance all of mine perfectly. I live in Korea, I have a degree in physics, and I like elephants and camels and giraffes, because they're sweet. I love playing German board games with friends.

I also founded this website and ran it for a short time before Derek turned it into something really cool. I'm really interested in games as a medium, and I really want to get more involved with the indie community after taking some time away. To that end I am in fact taking the next year off to do nothing besides play, make, and write about games (yeah, um, isn't it great to have a wife who loves to work and make money, and understands your artistic drive? Actually, I will be doing a bit of web design to help butter the bread). I'm hoping to be involved in this forum, and take part in some of the super compos. Also, I've started a new game review site at www.necessarygames.com, dedicated to discussing meaning and significance in games. I'd love your feedback if you have any.

All of that out of the way, what got me into games? I never had any of the early consoles: my first video games were Duck Hunter and Number Crunchers on my dad's ancient black and white Apple machine, which I thought were pretty fun. Then in 1994 we got a new Power Macintosh with 256 colors, 8MB of RAM and a CD-Rom drive. Wow baby, those were the days. Rebel Assault, Power Pete, and the old Lucas Arts adventure games took up a lot of my time:

These were all flings though. Casual sex I guess you could say. My first (and perhaps only) true love was, without a doubt, SimCity 2000. When I first played that game I got so excited that my brain blew my eyes out of my head. I am a creator by instinct, and SimCity opened up a whole new world of what games could be.

Castles: Siege and Conquest also made a big impression on me:

At this point all I really wanted to do was make games. I started learning Pascal, but it left a bit to be desired; when I was 13 I finally got my hands on a copy of Multimedia Fusion and then it was show time.

I finished my first "real" game in high school:

You can download it here, but be warned that it is a multiplayer-on-one-keyboard game only. Initially I tried releasing it as shareware, which was a shoddy idea, but I did it as an experiment, not to be evil. Overall I consider Unga Bunga to have been a success, as I documented here.

I made another game after that, but it was miserable. I also discovered and played a lot of indie games during this time (late 90's I guess), including all of Derek's early efforts, which I thought were great

And that pretty much brings me to where I am now (late 90's to 2009 isn't a jump, is it?). I rarely find games fun these days, but I find the medium very exciting, I like the creative aspect, I'm interested in "art as play", and I'm not giving up (if you want to read a very academic paper explaining my interest in video games from an aesthetics perspective, you can get just such a paper here).

I love indie developers, and I think for the most part they're doing a lot of cool stuff. Some of my favorite indie titles include Dwarf Fortress, Braid, Eternal Daughter, Torus Trooper, N, Icy Tower... and this is really a futile list which I shouldn't have started, because I like a lot of indie games.

Oh, and here's what I look like when I'm coloring:

... and when I've made an impressively tall tower:

The end.

PS: I've been reading a lot of the introductions on this thread but, well, there's a lot of them, and I haven't quite made it all the way through yet. I do hope to interact and get to know all of you though. Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:05:25 AM by Jordan » Logged

tooj
Level 0

No Talent

View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: August 21, 2009, 04:16:54 AM »

Hey there! The name is Ty, I signed up a while ago and never got into the community, so here I am now! I basically have no talent in the development of games, but I still love to watch other  people develop them! About me in real life, I've studied culinary arts my whole life, and I plan on opening a small bakery soon enough in life, but for now I'm just baking for friends and family. My video game tastes are pretty odd, I love Animal Crossing(the original one only kthx), MLB PowerPros(google it!), and countless classical games. I still find myself playing the N64 often, and playing those first few Pokemon games. Anyways, that's about it. Smiley

Ha-hey!
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: August 21, 2009, 02:25:36 PM »

Hello, I go by lasttea999 on forums. I make games with Game Maker.

My friends and I haven't had much formal training in programming or computer graphics, but we've been working with Game Maker for a while now, and our ideas are top-notch!

As a little kid I liked SNES platformers... But I never got to play them until much later because I wasn't allowed to have console games until a few years back! These are some games I dearly wished to play then:

Super Mario World
Megaman 7
Donkey Kong Country

I can now buy most of the games I wanted to play then with the Virtual Console feature of the Wii. Smiley It's kind of ironic; I used to be allowed to have handheld games but not console games, and now, I'm allowed to have console games but not handheld games. So now I wish I had a DS...

I don't know if it's because of my early troubles with console games, but currently I am a stickler for SNES and GBA-style graphics (in other words, 16-bit graphics). My pixel art skills don't quite reach that bar...

My programming seems to be a bit better (relative to the pros) than my pixel art. For an example of my programming, please see these two engines for Game Maker that I made. Please feel free to use (and critique!) them:

Motion Engine (GMC link)
Tile-placement Engine (GMC link)

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:58:11 PM by lasttea999 » Logged

ElijahKatz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: August 22, 2009, 09:23:14 PM »

Hi!
My name is Elijah and I'm 15 years old...
I enjoy indie Noir games, reading, writing, and Go...
I make games in Flash, Game Maker, and ZZT...
Though none have been good enough to release to the general public Who, Me?
sqrrl
Level 0

I like epic things, and things of epic proportion

View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: August 22, 2009, 11:09:28 PM »

sup, my name is ALEISTER, and I like indiegames and 8-bit music
was that too general?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2665 on: August 22, 2009, 11:25:04 PM »

ALL HAIL THE FLAMING PEAR!  Hand Metal LeftTears of JoyHand Metal Right
Corpus
« Reply #2666 on: August 23, 2009, 01:45:41 AM »

Oh shit, the Flaming Pear of legend Epileptic

Welcome back. Necessary Games sounds like it could be a really useful/important website. I think there needs to be more non-bullshit analysis of games - appropriate games - on that level. I haven't had a chance to read much on the site so far, but it looks promising.

Welcome also to Ty, lasttea, Elijah and Aleister!
Urthen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: August 23, 2009, 08:47:27 AM »

Hi! Sorry for doing this in the wrong order, but better late than never, eh?  Embarrassed

I'm Michael Pratt. I just graduated from RPI where I studied a field I call Entertainment Design, because it's not limited just to game development. My love of gaming, however started a long time ago.

Back in 2nd grade, in fact, when I first learned how to program a computer, I didn't dilly dally away my precious childhood programming spreadsheets and scientific calculators. No, I developed games. I started with very simple, linear question-and-answer based games, then went on to a little more open ended text command based games, and finally graduated to graphical games when I got my hands on a copy of Visual Basic.

I'm ashamed to admit, however, that I didn't really quickly advance in coding from there. I spent a lot of time working on mods and edits of other games, mostly due to my well-loved copy of Neverwinter Nights. To this day I still made short levels for NWN2.

Towards the end of high school, I began getting into games at a slightly deeper level when I stated programming in Flash. I released a few games to the Newgrounds community, back when it was filled with a lot more indie developers and a lot less angry 12 year olds that downvote anything that isn't halo-3 quality. It wasn't really until college that I created my first game in C++ I actually began getting into really programming an entire game, however.

Now, I work mostly in Python (with pygame) and Flash, being two rapid-development platforms. I create primarily 2d games, given that those platforms are geared for it and that I have 2d art skills myself (so I don't need a partner, though I'm usually open to one!). I'm working on getting a job in the game development industry now, so I'll be slightly less indie obviously, but I'll still try and make games on my own on the side.

Anywho, thats ths two-minute history of Michael "Fritters" Pratt. Enjoy the game(s)!
G.I.L.
« Reply #2668 on: August 23, 2009, 09:01:24 AM »

Hi i'm Dude4k I come here to ask questions about stuff I don't understand(flash). I have made a few game maker games but most of them are bad and at least 2 years old. I can never seem to finish a decent game but I keep trying.
I was really introduced to indie games when I started playing jumper(1,2,3),Cactus's games.
yup thats it
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:17:19 PM by dude4k » Logged
shadow-worm
Level 0

Creature of the Mid-Afternoon

View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: August 25, 2009, 02:14:28 AM »

Pretty good, thanks.

I saw your little slip-up. Noir

How shameful. An honest mistake, I assure you.
Pocket
Level 0

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: August 25, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »

Hello, my name's Harold and I'm BFF's with Dailyman, he fixes my hair for me. My hair's very thick and long, making it the envy of my family, except for my dad, who is bald and likes it that way. Is Desert Cat here too? Everyone I know is here. That's cool. Is Nicky here?
I like games. Especially indie games. Have you guys played East? It's a good indie game. It's kind of repetitive but it's a solid game, for a second try. I prefer the game made before it, called Key To Adventure, it's pretty fun, but the guy who made it prefers East. I think he only likes it because it's graphics are better, but I like gameplay over graphics.
If you want I can learn to make pixel art. I am good at game concepts, but I have a Mac, which is a bad computer to make games on. I don't usually type like this but I don't know if this is a community that is intelligent, abuses memes, or has a bunch of inside jokes. I like you guys. I read some posts and they are cool. I can't wait to start indie gaming!

-Pocket
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: August 25, 2009, 03:09:46 PM »

Oh Harold, you dog you! Gentleman
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2672 on: August 25, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »

Epileptic

Pocket
Level 0

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: August 25, 2009, 05:26:02 PM »

Hi Yes! Wanna make a game together?

-Pocket
Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2674 on: August 25, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »

I can't allow this. Please leave.

Pocket
Level 0

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: August 25, 2009, 05:30:34 PM »

You can't just barge in and tell me to leave, I was here first. I can report you if you do that!

-Pocket
Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2676 on: August 25, 2009, 05:35:19 PM »

I don't think so. Let's not make a huge thing of this. Just leave this world and never come back.

Pocket
Level 0

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: August 25, 2009, 05:36:49 PM »

Can you please not hurt my feelings? One more time and I'll report you.

-Pocket
Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2678 on: August 25, 2009, 05:39:12 PM »

I'm sorry. It's just that in your introductory post you didn't mention that you had feelings. I try not to assume. So anyway...

PLEASE, just leave this world and never come back.

Pocket
Level 0

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: August 25, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »

No.

-Pocket
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic