Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 11:34:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsiShrink for iOS. Casual Atari-esque Psychiatric RPG / Text Adventure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: iShrink for iOS. Casual Atari-esque Psychiatric RPG / Text Adventure  (Read 781 times)
Little Nando
Level 1

Working on Tough Coded Project

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2014, 05:27:55 AM »

iShrink for iOS
by Little Nando

I'm guessing this is the result of playing Organ Trail on my iPad while watching HBO's In Treatment on the background.

I was playing around with the idea of making an RPG of my own for some time... plus, I´m a big fan of text adventures... So I came up with this idea of a very simple, casual game, for mobile, where you play a very idiotic, slim-witted Dr/Psychiatrist, who must treat random patients. One each day, just like the show In Treatment on HBO. A patient monday, another Tuesday, etc.etc. And each of these patients would feel like a bad dude you must "kill" on any ordinary old school JRPG. The only difference is that instead of KILLING him/her, you must get to his "core" thoughts, his/her inner mind...

The way to do this is by using TOPICS. You start with one Topic: Childhood. Which is the most stupid and basic of them all. In the game you play Dr. Stubbonworth, the worst psychiatrist ever. And the way to get to your patients is by learning from *other* patients. Each new patient that comes in talks about a new TOPIC, say, WEATHER, DEATH, BROTHERS, BOSS, ZOOPHILIA, what have you... and this is a new topic you acquire at the end of each treatment.

With new topics you can achieve combinations that would help you GET to certain patients minds... so it´s sort of a card game, where you must know/experiment which TOPIC wins what...

Same patient comes every day of the week until you finally treat it and "heal" him or her. When that happens a new patient starts coming that day.

At the end of every treatment/session, you get payed, and you can use this money to do seminars.

I plan on filling the game of animated pixel cut-scenes and the sorts, close-ups and situations, like the psychologist going back home on the subway, or taking a cab ride and psychoanalyzing the cab driver. All done with this horrible, E.T. Atari like graphics, which ...for some reason... I pretty much love.

INSPIRATION:

In Treatment

Organ Trail

Also I'm taking inspiration from this horrible, horrible game, which depicts humans in a most.... bizarre, horrible way:

I´m kinda struggling with the type for now, trying to select one that suits the style of the game. Atari games had pratically no text, for their resolution, and text adventures for that console used to have very little text and GIGANTIC fonts... which wouldn´t work here. So am currently working on that.

The idea is to create some early prototypes for Windows and upload them here in a few days. Any feedback very much welcome! :3

Coffee

Little Nando / Twitter / Blog
foreignsubstances
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 02:22:32 PM »

Any plans to continue on this? I like the idea.

16soft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »

Holy necromancing Batman, how did you find this post?

It's an awesome post, but I think the dev gave up on this, and again, how did you find this?
foreignsubstances
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 06:37:44 PM »

I was searching around for text adventure, and it came up. There's not many of those on these forums. I'm working on a game that will have visuals but involves a lot of text and player choice, so I'm trying to find like-minded projects. Too bad it appears to be a zombie!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic