Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 06:15:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDesiderium (A Not-So-Zelda-like Game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Desiderium (A Not-So-Zelda-like Game)  (Read 1989 times)
JWK5
« on: May 12, 2015, 05:52:14 PM »

Initially I was going to make a Zelda fan game, I had some ideas and asked Gimmy for suggestions. It has since mutated into something else entirely. Rather than continue to bombard him with design notes I decided to take his suggestion and start this Devlog. In the past I tried to make my Devlogs nice and neat, and easy to follow along with. I decided with this Devlog I am just going to carpet bomb it with ideas, doodles, misc. notes and all the insanity that I usually generate whilst working on a project. I think what killed my momentum in the past is trying to exercise restraint, this time I am just opening the floodgates. Maybe there is something that can be learned from my approach, or maybe it might be interesting to see how rapidly my ideas mutate, I don't know. It's worth giving it a go, though. So on that note, let's get this party started.

These are a few of the initial ideas when it was still supposed to be a Zelda fan game (I always work fast and sloppy when dumping ideas, so forgive the primive art here):
MAP: Originally all the locations were to be an homage to the series as a whole.

LINK: As suggested by Gimmy, Link was going to be a black female character.

GAME PLAY: I have already started the engine in Game Maker Studio, these were some design notes I whipped up. Note that I am very impulsive so I basically put thought to paper immediately and cram them in there any way they'll fit.

DUNGEON ITEM: An idea for a dungeon item that would tie into the dark world setup.

CONTROLS/Etc.: The idea was to have a 3 hit combo system based more around positioning than button-spamming.

And now, on to the current idea (moving away from the Zelda roots):

"Desiderium" is latin for desire, or an ardent longing, as for something lost. The general idea with the relationship between Adesola and Azlyn is that in the waking world you are Azlyn's protector, but in the dream world (Phantasmagoria) Azlyn is quite powerful. The things you do in the waking world impact the Phantasmagoria and vice versa. For example, shedding blood in front of Azlyn leads her to manifest nightmares in the Phantasmagoria, and dealing with the nightmares of NPCs in the Phantasmagoria can impact the way they behave in the waking world.

In any case, I will update as I go and put up an engine demo as soon as I have one ready. Feel free to ask or suggest. Thanks for taking your time to give this a look over, it means a lot to me. Smiley

An extra, super special thanks goes out to Gimmy for taking the time to let me bounce ideas off of him and give feedbacck, you're awesome!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:13:57 PM by JWK5 » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »

I didn't suggested a black character XD He use influence from my black chick zelda, I said nothing Tongue

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:03:30 PM »

Let's dump the original idea from the link wall

Initially I was going to make a Zelda fan game,

These are a few of the initial ideas when it was still supposed to be a Zelda fan game (I always work fast and sloppy when dumping ideas, so forgive the primive art here):

MAP: Originally all the locations were to be an homage to the series as a whole.

LINK: As suggested by Gimmy, Link was going to be a black female character.

GAME PLAY: I have already started the engine in Game Maker Studio, these were some design notes I whipped up. Note that I am very impulsive so I basically put thought to paper immediately and cram them in there any way they'll fit.

DUNGEON ITEM: An idea for a dungeon item that would tie into the dark world setup.

CONTROLS/Etc.: The idea was to have a 3 hit combo system based more around positioning than button-spamming.

JWK5
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 06:06:34 PM »

I didn't suggested a black character XD He use influence from my black chick zelda, I said nothing Tongue
Hrrmmmm... for some reason I thought you had (apparently I misunderstood what you said). Oh well, I did anyways, so thanks for the influence, I guess. I like the character so it is all good (and since it is no longer Link you don't have to worry about me riding your coattail).

In any case, some combat ideas:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:58:35 PM by JWK5 » Logged
JWK5
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 06:13:38 PM »

More notes, work in progress. Fleshing out the setting and story.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 02:26:00 AM »

I want to see this happen.

Yeah.
Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 02:28:17 AM »

Nice concepts hehe. I like the deep thinking that goes into this already. I always dive head first in the graphics before I even know what game I want to make xD
Good job so far!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »

"Kingdom-State of Lost Somnia"

I'm pretty sure I've visited that place Tired
JWK5
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 05:52:51 PM »

Thanks, all! Smiley I hit a slump this month and things got hectic but today I pulled out of the nose dive and eager to get back into the creative state of mind. Coffee

"Kingdom-State of Lost Somnia"

I'm pretty sure I've visited that place Tired
I am pretty sure that is where I was born and raised, lol.
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »

Yessssssss get out of that slump and make this REAL!!!!! Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Battlefrog
Level 0

Broc W.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 07:55:50 AM »

I want this to happen. JUST DO IT.  Mock Anger
foreignsubstances
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 11:37:55 AM »

Word I second that.

Pages: [1]