Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411704 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: roeyskatt

May 20, 2024, 04:35:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIs Google Dying?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Is Google Dying?  (Read 6169 times)
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2024, 08:16:45 AM »

I feel bad for the kind of hippie university types who when helping building the foundations of the internet had a much more idealistic view of what they were building. It would have been nice to have that kind of free information space.

Parts of the old style of web still exist as those independent sites that link to each other, it's just kind of sad the people made it a game and "science" to exploit the algorithm to maximize the visibility of their sites of what was supposed to be the gateway to those sites with little to reach from

I know there are good people out there firsthand. I had to dig and dig on the algorithm which wanted to show me spammers and all kinds of regurgitated memes instead of cool people who want to make friends. Sadly, good people get marginalized because they are not cost effective. "Let's spend more resources getting it right even though it cuts into the profit margin" is a death sentence. And a lot of the well-meaning hippy politics has been co-opted into a form of bullying.

KingOfDecoupage
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2024, 02:29:59 PM »

Yeah, I assumed that was a large part of it. Profits get in the way of social responsibility. Then become really dangerous when a service becomes the lens in which people see the world.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic