Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 04:50:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesStreets Of Rage Remake
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Streets Of Rage Remake  (Read 16135 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »

This project has been well-known for a while now. If Sega was going to send C&D letters, they should have done it early on, not after 8 years of work.

I can't say I'm terribly surprised, though. This is why I would not recommend putting any real effort into fan games, unless you have permission from the IP holders (like we do for Indie Brawl). Or if you make them bootleg-style.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »

the real issue is that sega need to go fuck themselves for not doing anything with the property except that cellphone game
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »

The smug, condescending tone towards fangames in the comments is sort of irritating.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 04:21:28 PM »

btw:
Quick, before Sega sees it!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »

shig
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 08:40:30 PM »

Playing as Max is really hard and playing as Zan is really boring. But if you play co-op as Zan and Max wonderful things happen.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »

streets of rage is the best and final fight is bad
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 06:12:45 AM »

Thanks for that. Downloading now.

I can't fathom why SEGA wants to protect copyrights that it's not even using. They haven't taken down Sonic Fan Remix, and it's gotten way more press and it's using their sacred cow.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 06:41:58 AM »

Thanks!

I hate SEGA  Angry

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 08:14:01 AM »

I can't fathom why SEGA wants to protect copyrights that it's not even using.
Well, in recent years SEGA sold Streets of Rage for many different systems, partly in various collections. So, I guess they have every right to "protect" a game they are still making money off. Of course, it's always a bit sad to see a fan project like this shot down, but I guess anyone who wants to download it can and will always be able to do so easily, so it's not like the work goes to waste.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 08:23:05 AM »

I highly doubt anyone's going to stop buying official SoR games because of this though.

Sure Sega has the right to "protect" their IP but being legally entitled to do something and being a douchebag are two separate things.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:07:02 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »

Thanks for that. Downloading now.

I can't fathom why SEGA wants to protect copyrights that it's not even using. They haven't taken down Sonic Fan Remix, and it's gotten way more press and it's using their sacred cow.

Wait till it's done!

I think they like when people suffer.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2011, 09:19:35 AM »

If anything, this would raise the hype for a SoR..

It's SEGA's right to defend their own property, but they should have done that 8 years ago. Shutting down a fan project of this size, after it's done is a real dick move! Sad

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »

I kinda get SEGA's position.  They need to defend their copyright on SOR or else lose it.  Marvel was *kinda* forced into a lawsuit against CoH by their lawyers for the same reasons.

Of course this is a free fanproject, which means SEGA has overzealous/bored attorneys.  However, there is a much simpler solution that isn't a PR nightmare:  sanction the fanproject. 

Whatever, I'm still out.  Yakuza 4 is out now, and I was definitely buying it.  But now I'm sticking to my guns.  I'm not buying another SEGA product for a good long while.

(I pulled the same thing with Blizzard over the Starcraft mod, but they shamed me the very next day by sanctioning the project.  So SEGA is one of the few companies that *doesn't* get it.)

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 10:23:45 AM »

Well, at the moment it seems like Sega's lawyers are both short-sighted, and lazy. They are short-sighted for not coming up with a compromise that would leverage this fan remake properly. They are lazy for not having jumped on this fan remake until after it had already been released. (as well as not responding to the earlier inquiries by the creators)

I would once again point to the example set by Activision over "Sarien." A fan produced an in-browser emulator for playing classic Sierra adventure games. It became popular and started getting press. Activision initially sent a Cease and Desist. But then they got in touch with the creator, and took a better look at what had been done. They offered a compromise that would provide them with some free advertising, and the creator eagerly accepted their terms. Now anyone can play the initial entries in several classic Sierra adventure game series with the express permission of the licence holder.

An arrangement along those lines would be beneficial to Sega. They could have the remake creators link interested players to stores where they can buy copies of the original Streets of Rage games. They could also use the remake as a means of promoting interest in the series, in preparation for a new title, or even a new collection. Or if they really wanted to, they could pay the remake creators for their efforts, and actually port their project to whatever platform they want to sell it on. It would be such a shame for it to end with the remake being blocked for no good reason.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »

Good job whoever, I just downloaded this game that I would never have downloaded otherwise Huh?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »

Same. I just don't know when I'll start playing it.

Also, SoR is a Final Fight fangame.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »

Also, SoR is a Final Fight fangame.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »

What's a final fight? Huh?