Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 02:41:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignany games like this?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: any games like this?  (Read 1680 times)
jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2011, 06:43:03 AM »

Hi Guys,

I'm brainstorming a multiplayer co-op action game and am wondering if there are any games out there similar to what I'm thinking of. I think it'd help me a lot if I could play something like the game I have in mind to get a feel for its potential.

What I'm looking for is a co-op game where each player has only one or two unique abilities, but players use their abilities in tandem to help each other get through the level and solve puzzles.

For instance, maybe one player can create platforms, that all the other players could then walk across.
Or one player can climb walls, and the other players have to hang onto him while he carries them somewhere on the wall.

So like, real substantial abilities that the players use cooperatively to overcome challenges. Also, preferably it would be in 2D.

What I'm not looking for is games where you cast your magic ability at the same time to do extra damage or something.

If you can think of a game that has mechanics like these or similar, I would really appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks

P.S. I don't know if LBP falls into this category. I'm really talking about players having unique abilities that they help each other with.

floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:56:58 AM »

the LEGO (star wars, batman, etc..) games do this kinda stuff... but if you're just playing on your own you can switch character.
Retrogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:57:57 AM »

Legend of Zelda: Four Swords and Four Swords Adventure had similar gameplay. Each player controlled their own Link and had to work together to overcome puzzles, usually based on which ever tool the player had picked up (i.e. the player with the Fire Rod needs to light torches, the one with the bow needs to shoot distant switches, etc.).

It also added a semi-competitive mode; when not working together, you could beat on each other to steal rupees. At the end of the level the player with the most rupees was awarded, but you still needed all 4 players to finish so it was sort of a friendly competition mode.

Also, not sure if it counts, but Phantasy Star Online's challenge mode required 4 players to work together and, because combat was a heavy element in said game, each player really had to carefully use their class' primary function rather than dabble in all three aspects (melee, ranged, magic) as they would in the core game. There were lots of puzzles, but none that players solved by virtue of any specific skill or ability their class had.

- Will Armstrong IV -
Level One Game Designer
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:00:27 AM »

Take a look at Trine.

I think its fits your description perfectly.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:07:27 AM »

The ur-example of this is the classic Lost Vikings. But it wasn't a co-op game. Still it has the same basis: making use of multiple characters to solve multiple problems in sequence.

It's not an overdone concept, so long as you don't do exactly what the previous games did (eg.jumper/attacker/defender in Lost Vikings). There's still lots of possibilities in the concept.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:12:08 AM »

@sugarbeard

Wow, I didn't realize Trine had co-op. You're right, that's exactly what I was talking about. Gonna go get it on Steam right now.

I didn't specify this, but what I have in mind is faster-paced stuff in closer quarters WHILE in combat. Are there any parts of Trine like that?

Thanks everyone else for the comments.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 07:21:27 AM »

There is Hunted: The Demons Forge comnig out soon, but i'm not entirely sure this is what you mean. Both characters have different abilities, but they aren't a requirement of the other player completing the level.

Another is Splinter Cell: Chaos theory, but again this doesn't fit what you have described exactly. Both players have the same abilities, but sometimes require each other to proceed. For example, standing on eachothers heads to place a bomb.

I think Lost Vikings is probably the best example of characters having different abilities, but needing to work together to overcome obstacles. Though there is probably some game out there that i don't know about!

jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 07:50:54 AM »

The Lost Vikings 2 coop looks kinda close, too. Thanks Nugsy.
Kurai
Level 0

Game Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 08:06:02 AM »

The last isometric Lara Croft and the guardians of light is like that in two player mode

Federico Fasce
http://kurai.eu
Urustar
http://urustar.net
"I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams."
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 04:08:57 PM »

Team Fortress 2 is a lot like this as well.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 04:34:50 AM »

itt: class-based games and coop games that might feature puzzles

I was gonna say Trine, but yeah, thunder already stolen. Smiley
Drum
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 06:34:14 AM »

Goof Troop for SNES:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goof_Troop_%28video_game%29
One of Shinji Mikami's early games.

Goonies for C64:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1i19dbMjdI
Isn't exactly what you're looking for, but each player has very distinct roles, if not abilities.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic