Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 09:42:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTwinCat - Twin stick shooter/action-RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TwinCat - Twin stick shooter/action-RPG  (Read 788 times)
Fetthesten
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:55:19 AM »

So, this is my current project. "TwinCat" will probably not be the final name, though.

Eventually, this will be a hectic and deep action-RPG in the style of The Legend of Zelda, but with many elements from Western RPG games such as engaging quests and side-quests, a vast and exciting world, and a deep RPG system to explore and master.

Right now, however, all I have is this.

It does rather scream "exciting", doesn't it? It's just the start of a simple tile engine that can handle several layers of tiles, a large number of entities, and huge tile maps; all of that stuff is in the engine, but not really used in any way. The reason for that, is that I'm currently working on the game editor.

Yeah. It'll look a little better when it's done, but as for now, all I have is loading of tilemaps and tile painting (select tile with mouse wheel, paint with mouse button). Eventually, the editor will let me build complex, multi-layered tile maps, assign entities and scripts, and allow me to test maps directly in the editor.

I'm making this in C++ with SDL, using Visual Studio 2012 Express as my IDE. I'm still not very experienced with programming (even though I've been programming for many years, I haven't actually finished any large game projects), but I'm making good progress and seeing solutions and possibilities instead of obstacles in my current codebase. I'm really enjoying working on this, and I hope to have something playable to show off within the year. Wish me luck.

PS: In case you're wondering, all those tiles and the sprite are test art and won't be in the final game... or even the first alpha.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic