Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 01:27:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSpelunky XBLA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: Spelunky XBLA  (Read 55994 times)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2012, 06:21:47 PM »

BEES!

hi
Ashkin
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »

I do hope you'll actually get to throw pugs.
iffi
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »

Unleash them on the shopkeepers!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2012, 04:51:12 AM »

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2012, 06:41:31 AM »

Kiss

I can die happy now.

NO! Wait, I actually have to play it first.
st33d
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2012, 07:53:15 AM »

Any future plans for this to go to Mac or PC?

Cave Story+ I thought was a very welcome upgrade over playing the translation I tried ages ago.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2012, 08:04:36 AM »

Dear Derek, how would you rate the likelihood of SpelunkyHD being released for PC, or Mac, at some point in the future?
[ ] Definitely Tears of Joy
[ ] Highly likely Grin
[ ] Hopefully Smiley
[ ] 50/50 Concerned
[ ] It will be difficult Sad
[ ] Most unlikely Apoplectic
[ ] Never Cry
Please select the most appropriate option.

saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

Wait, so is there more definitive release date? The link Derek provided just says that it's "slated for a 2012 release."
Ashkin
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »

I love you so much <3
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »

There is no weapon I would choose over throwable pug.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »

I am more sad about the ducky

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »

Looking really wicked!! Smiley

Although the part about minimizing chance seems almost deconstructive in a way; each run always provides scoring potential in *some* manner or another (saves, loot, speedrunning, kills, etc.); part of the fun is realizing what each run is best suited for. Perhaps a better alternative would be to allow an optional 2-retries attempt at each level set, which will kick you back to the start, but with the same level set pregenerated for the session.

I say optional, because inevitably, turning the option off is where expert players will eventually end up.

Uykered
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »

I hope the "tunnel man" isn't this one! I didn't like having to skip levels and pay him all the time. It seems to be a compromise on the "permanent death" system, where you have to grind for gold in order to unlock the checkpoint system.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »

Tunnel Man is in the game, but he's being tweaked to not be much less "grindy", as that aspect is unpleasant for new players, too.

Using the shortcuts has always significantly hurt your ability to thrive in Spelunky, though - it's optimal to play from the beginning because you're better stocked in the later levels (not to mention scoring potential and the major secrets that are unavailable if you checkpoint).

However, he's still helpful for new players and players who just want to practice a particular level (maybe for speedrunning, or whatever).
Headless Man
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2012, 07:15:42 PM »

Are ropes going to be more useful this time out?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »

Oh man this looks awesome, sounds awesome, and has multiplayer, omg! The water looks really cool too.

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »

Well, now if you deploy a rope downward it will set off arrow traps below you. But they don't have any other new abilities. They are quite useful in Deathmatch however, since you can hit players directly over you with them.

Oh, and they wiggle now too. Well, hello there!

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »

Oh, and they wiggle now too.

You wiggle.

st33d
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2012, 02:09:46 AM »

Tunnel Man is in the game, but he's being tweaked to not be much less "grindy", as that aspect is unpleasant for new players, too.

Using the shortcuts has always significantly hurt your ability to thrive in Spelunky, though - it's optimal to play from the beginning because you're better stocked in the later levels (not to mention scoring potential and the major secrets that are unavailable if you checkpoint).

However, he's still helpful for new players and players who just want to practice a particular level (maybe for speedrunning, or whatever).

I didn't warm to that guy much. I think by the time you've saved enough cash to buy one shortcut you've realised that you'll miss the easiest part of the game to get decent items. They keep offering me shortcuts in Shiren the Wanderer as well. I'm like, "are you serious? I'll get killed by the first monster I so much as doff my hat to!"
Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2012, 03:43:02 PM »

I've not had a PC for a few years and had never heard of this game until I saw the preview in the latest issue of EDGE magazine.
I've not been this excited since the last Advance Wars and am expecting this to be my game of the year.
Most of the excitement is down to how much I enjoyed Shiren on the DS (my first roguelike).
I have a phobia of paying full price, but this'll be a day one purchase for me..... It's 400 msp, right?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic