Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 12:59:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 477991 times)
patonki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 15, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »

Quote is also impossible to hit
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

They'r gonna have to glue you back together...

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 15, 2008, 10:44:20 AM »

HERE IT IS

BIG IMAGE

enjoy. Beer!

Hey MedO, what do you think?  Smiley

...IN HELL!!
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 15, 2008, 10:45:11 AM »

Do you ever plan on remaking this with a better program?
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 15, 2008, 10:49:35 AM »

What would be a good thing to make such a game with?
Something that isn't a mission to learn the entire programming language for.

I myself know a few people who can code in C++...but it would be no where near enough to make a game like this.

Any other game-dev programs that would be more appropriate?

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
patonki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 15, 2008, 10:51:28 AM »

Game Maker is quite flexible. Cactus makes his games with GM.
Rawrl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2008, 10:55:01 AM »

No individual on /v/ might think like that, but this is certainly what comes across if you read all the posts together and think about /v/ as one entity.

Well, there's your problem.
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2008, 10:56:48 AM »

No individual on /v/ might think like that, but this is certainly what comes across if you read all the posts together and think about /v/ as one entity.

Well, there's your problem.

you created an account few minutes ago just to say that?

...IN HELL!!
Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2008, 10:56:58 AM »

Rawrl:

Interesting to see what they have to say over there:

CRY SOME MORE
seriously, what huge fags. Someone voluntarily decompiles and fixes the game and they whine about AUTHOR'S RIGHTS!

What a charming "community".
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 15, 2008, 11:02:57 AM »

Hey MedO, what do you think?

It looks really great. But what I really think is that I can't keep up with everything here, go to my job every day and still keep what's left of my sanity. There's a lot of people here who post, but that means there are also a lot of people here to give feedback. Don't turn to me for everything, please?

I gave it a thought, but it would be a ton of work. If some people in the community would like to start a conversion project though, that would be great.
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 15, 2008, 11:08:06 AM »

[...]Don't turn to me for everything, please?

kk

...IN HELL!!
derp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 15, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »

Ugh, the last place you want this game to turn up on is 4chan. 4chan has a tendency for breeding assholes, and you can be sure this game'll be filled with them pretty quickly because of it.
You do know the goal of this game is to actually be played by people, right? Right now the 4chan people are mostly the sole population of this game. And they conribute. So I really don't know what exactly you are whining about.
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 15, 2008, 11:11:35 AM »

I gave it a thought, but it would be a ton of work. If some people in the community would like to start a conversion project though, that would be great.

I have plans to attempt some work on it, but I would like to request at first that we are given access to the exe that hosts the lobby.  Gentleman

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
Rawrl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 15, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »

you created an account few minutes ago just to say that?

Why yes, sir, I did.

Rawrl:

Interesting to see what they have to say over there:

CRY SOME MORE
seriously, what huge fags. Someone voluntarily decompiles and fixes the game and they whine about AUTHOR'S RIGHTS!

What a charming "community".

And that's just a single person, whose opinion doesn't reflect that of the community as a whole. If I were to do the same thing here based on Renton's posts, I'd assume you were all butthurt fags BAWWWing 'cause someone hacked up your game, instead of appreciating that they took the time to improve the gameplay, and that your game was popular enough to BE hacked up.

Obviously you guys aren't butthurt, judging by the positive comments regarding the mod, which is why I don't assume any of those things.

You can't judge a community, especially one as large as /v/, based on the opinions and actions of a few members, who may or may not be trolls. (Except for /b/, which is shit no matter how you slice it.)
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 15, 2008, 11:20:30 AM »

What would be a good thing to make such a game with?
Something that isn't a mission to learn the entire programming language for.

I myself know a few people who can code in C++...but it would be no where near enough to make a game like this.

Any other game-dev programs that would be more appropriate?

I haven't really worked with it, but Construct looks like a good program for making games.
roladka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 15, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »

I understand there's a competition going on. I'll hold my breath for GG2 to win!
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 15, 2008, 11:27:58 AM »

I have plans to attempt some work on it, but I would like to request at first that we are given access to the exe that hosts the lobby.

I can provide that (well, the runnable .jar file anyway), but it's a bit strange to request that as a precondition, in my opinion.

I don't know Construct, but if this has to have any chance of working you need a system where either the source code and resources are stored in external, seperate files (for collaborating via CVS or similar) or needs good built-in collaboration support.
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 15, 2008, 11:28:56 AM »

Stop with the massive quote pyramid.
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 15, 2008, 11:35:10 AM »

I have plans to attempt some work on it, but I would like to request at first that we are given access to the exe that hosts the lobby.

I can provide that (well, the runnable .jar file anyway), but it's a bit strange to request that as a precondition, in my opinion.

I don't know Construct, but if this has to have any chance of working you need a system where either the source code and resources are stored in external, separate files (for collaborating via CVS or similar) or needs good built-in collaboration support.

Agreed. The reason I was after the lobby, was for seeing what I can conjure up separately, and then introduce my changes to you.

I could of course use my edited version within the default lobby, but that could cause problems if I change the connection stuff etc....in hope to bring a reconstructed version of this game, that just requires more maps and no other additions.

By all means, I am not worried if I was to be working on this without a separate lobby, just thought it was an idea  Smiley

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 15, 2008, 11:37:47 AM »

And that's just a single person, whose opinion doesn't reflect that of the community as a whole.
From skimming the thread at 4chan, it definitely seemed that the majority shared his opinion. Helltrikky at first agreed with me, then he was berated for siding with the "butthurt fags", so he very quickly "changed his mind".

If I were to do the same thing here based on Renton's posts, I'd assume you were all butthurt fags BAWWWing 'cause someone hacked up your game, instead of appreciating that they took the time to improve the gameplay, and that your game was popular enough to BE hacked up.

Obviously you guys aren't butthurt, judging by the positive comments regarding the mod, which is why I don't assume any of those things.

I think you are completely missing the point. Whether the modifications are good or not is beside the question. The point is that decompiling someone else's game and uploading your own hacked version of it without the author's permission is rude. Didn't you notice that MedO himself has said that he doesn't agree with that practice? None of the 4chan people who have registered here now seem to grasp that. We just don't do business like that over here.

We also don't say "butthurt fags" over here.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 15, 2008, 11:39:01 AM »

[...]Don't turn to me for everything, please?

kk

I'll do my best to deal with people's requests, feedback, maps and stuff so that MedO can deal with the serious stuff.

And to start, can we calm down on the flaming and arguing in this thread, take it somewhere else. Let's leave this space for discussing game development issues. We still appreciate your feedback, suggestions, and contributions, but let's keep this a friendly place.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic