Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 01:07:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAbsolute Drift
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Absolute Drift  (Read 2239 times)
Funselektor
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:26:03 PM »

The Pavement is Your Canvas, The Tires are Your Brush.

Absolute Drift is a Drifting and Gymkhana car game set in a visually minimal world. Sliding sideways while staying in control is the core-mechanic and it is a score-centric game with online leaderboards.

Progress through a series of worlds, unlocking more difficult levels and new cars.

The visuals of the game may lead you to believe that the controls are equally simple, but in fact they require quite a bit of finesse and patience to learn and eventually master.

There are 4 Game Modes:

• Drifting Tracks - 3 laps in a closed course.
  • Freestyle Drifting - 2 minutes in an open course to score drift points.
  • Gymkhana - 2 minutes in an open course to score points on Gymkhana obstacles.
  • Challenges - Different types of skill-testing challenges.

|Background
The proto-prototype of Absolute Drift was created at the 2014 GGJ and I kept working on it through my final term of programming school in Vancouver, Canada. It was heavily inspired by my fascination of Drifting and the Gymkhana video series by Ken Block.  I released a prototype demo on IndieDB and Gamejolt and received encouraging feedback on it and I decided to make it into a full game. A picture of the proto-prototype...

|Visual Style
The visual style aims to be simple, elegant, and clean- taking inspiration from games such as Hundreds and Mirror's Edge. It also draws on inspiration from flat/minimal design and typography. In this game RED = INTERACT.

|Current Status
I'm still developing some features and am focussing on getting release quality for the first half of the game. There is still quite a bit of work left for level design and level creation. Hoping to get a version out to Beta testers in late December and I am aiming for a release in Early 2015.

|More Info
Try out the prototype on the IndieDB page.
Website | Twitter | Facebook | IndieDB

|Coming Up
Check back for updates and milestones and don't be shy to leave feedback!

Thanks for reading!
Dune
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:24:42 PM by Funselektor » Logged
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 03:27:47 AM »

Awesome minimal aesthethic, very neat Hand Thumbs Up Right

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:16:33 AM »

Really nice! Is it based on an engine or are you doing everything?

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 04:55:57 AM »

Looks Unity-ish Wink

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:10:14 AM »

Hey, welcome to TIG! Been playing Absolute Drift for a few weeks now, really enjoying it. Can't wait to see what you have planned for the full game

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Savick
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »

Nice looking visual style! The image above "current status" isn't working for me.
Funselektor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »

Really nice! Is it based on an engine or are you doing everything?

Looks Unity-ish Wink

Netsu's got it, it's made in Unity.

Nice looking visual style! The image above "current status" isn't working for me.

Thanks, just fixed the link Smiley
Funselektor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 08:59:59 PM »

There have been a lot of changes in Absolute Drift since the last update in September. Back then I was hoping to have a Beta out by October, but it turns out there were a few unforeseen systems and design challenges. I also underwent shoulder surgery on my dominant arm and was in a sling for a month- and here we are in February.

I took a couple short breaks from Absolute Drift and created these two games:

Sky Dawgz (Playable Build)

Created in under 72 hours in the #indiesvspewdiepie Game Jam.

LIFT (unreleased)
My first local-multiplayer game, LIFT (working title). Basically a 2D minimal version of Sky-Dawgz. I may polish it up and include AI one day.

Anyways, back to Absolute Drift...

I'm actively working towards getting the game in shape for Beta and have set a deadline for the end of February to start sending Beta keys out to testers.

Pre-Game Screen
Shows global ranking and best score.

Leaderboard Screen

Working through the Steam servers, can filter results by All-Time & Friends-only.

The Overworld
This is basically like the playable menu in the Absolute Drift Prototype, where you drive around and go into levels- except that it's 50x bigger and contains a variety of challenges and themes. There are currently three worlds and you must complete challenges in a current world to unlock the next one.

The Driftkhana Game Mode

This was previously called Gymkhana, but I decided to change it to Driftkhana because the scoring system was changed to include drift points. And it also sounds cooler Smiley

To recap: The Driftkhana game mode is a two minute score-attack mode. Points are given for drifting and for performing skill-based maneuvers (I will try do a separate news post on these in the future).

The Drift Track Game Mode

The Drift Track game mode is a score-attack where you must complete three laps of a race track. There are bonuses such as the Clipping Point, which are obstacles that you must drift close to which give you points based on how proximity and speed. These are used in real drift competitions.

Sorry for the long post, it's been a long time since the last one, I'll try to update more frequently!
Funselektor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »

The game is finally out!

Trailer:

Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/320140

MurmuringDepths
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 04:53:51 PM »

Congratulations! The minimal aesthetics look quite amazing.

You should make Sky Dawgz into a full game, I like its look and gameplay.
Funselektor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »

Cheers! We'll see Wink
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 07:25:03 PM »

Congrats on finishing your project. Been following this on twitter for the past few months. Looking forward to playing it!

Currently developing Life Of Sundura. Website | Devblog | Twitter | Tumblr
MurmuringDepths
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 10:20:17 PM »

Cheers! We'll see Wink

Forgot to mention, with the tyre marks - have you considered ramping the transparency and brightness of them based on how hard the car is drifting? It looks somewhat unusual seeing them when the car is driving quite normally.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic