Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 04:13:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGRABBUS - Explore, GRAB, Throw, Merge, Shoot, Loot - Demo 2024!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GRABBUS - Explore, GRAB, Throw, Merge, Shoot, Loot - Demo 2024!  (Read 1285 times)
Onimwad
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2020, 10:00:10 AM »

Official Website! >>> Grabb.us

(Made in Game Maker Studio 2, NO Generative A.I. or ML tech is used in the making of Grabbus)
If you have questions about the game, I am available to answer them here! Soon, I will need the assistance of a sound effects artist. I'll put out a bulletin for such when ready! But if you would like to message me to show your portfolio for the job, feel free! I'm ready to shop around.

Status
(Updated as of April 2nd, 2024)
TREMENDOUS progress has been made!
I got a microchip fab job for two years to raise money while slowly working on the game in my free time.
Now I'm working on Grabbus full-time with the money I've saved up!
Some original music has also been commissioned, with more on the way.
A demo is planned to come out at the end of 2024!
The demo will focus on doing only delves as a way to test the main gameplay, without most worldmap features active. (Think "Arcade mode", rather than "Campaign mode")
The world map will still be seen in the screen between delves as a way to tease its graphics and generation capabilities Tongue

Features that are now in: Scrolling, sortable inventory, autotiling (1 tileset so far), physics, throwable items and enemies, stats and itemization, 3 elixirs that can be consumed for effects or mixed into weapons to give them special abilities, item-merging and shooting mechanics, enemy AI and merging system, 3 artifacts that mix to form 9 different passive relic items, dungeon generation, optimized world terrain generation, building menu, proprietary cutscene player and editor, working save files... and a bunch more little details and QoL features. Grabbus is currently at a "let's put the meat on the bones" stage. A foundation for something big to grow.

Dev Background
I'm Colin! I've been practicing programming, art, and animation in tandem since a very young age.
I've been working on Grabbus for over 5 years as of this writing.
There's a TON of projects under my belt, most of which didn't pan out, but that's how it can be! I'm not discouraged and look forward to improving! This time however, I am confident I'm onto something worth finishing! I'm in a place in my life now that is FAR more conducive to a big project, so I'm not letting go!
It is my hope that by sharing what I have so far, I can receive valuable feedback and promote things early enough to drum up interest in the upcoming demo. This is the sort of game that will need lots of testing!

Premise
You play as Morris, a rat that finds himself revived in a mysterious virtual world inhabited by other captured rats and strange metamorphic natives. Morris forms a symbiotic link with a lifeform he names Grabbus who guides and protects him in this odd place. Good thing he's there, for who knows what corrupted horrors or schemes lurk beneath the furthest reaches of the simulated wilderness...

Design and Gameplay
The major tenets of Grabbus' design are...
  • -Roguelite Delving with a Shoot-em-up Flavor
    The player moves Morris around the stage while also controlling Grabbus. Grabbus allows the player to shoot equipped weapons, use and store items, and manipulate the environment. Some objects have different context-sensitive actions that can be triggered by holding both grab buttons with the object clutched.
    The entire game world is procedurally-generated, from the world map, to the delves themselves, to the weapons and enemies you find. Exploring for random loot, and the mixing thereof, is an essential piece of the game.
    And by mixing, I mean mixing. Grabbus has a robust item-merging system that is the main mechanic. You may merge most items (within reason) and get various predictable results, even if you have started with random items. The strategy of what items to mix and when is essential to success. Enemies come with varying abilities, but also merge together like items! When this happens, their components are stacked and the enemy becomes harder to destroy. But the rewards... worth it. Better yet, if you manage to survive without your HP reaching zero, you can keep merging-up more powerful items without limit! No number caps! Yep. No caps. Have fun breaking the game! You are encouraged to absolutely destroy and exploit anything you can as the difficulty level climbs, earning you bigger, cooler rewards!

• -Characters and Story
    I've coded a somewhat unique cutscene engine and editor. I can quickly draw characters for this system and have them appear super emotive and talkative using tags in the script that activate effects and change sprites. The unique thing it does is how it analyzes the text and changes the timing of the word-scrolling and the lip-sync based on the letter combos to make it "feel" more like the text is being spoken by the on-screen character.

• -Building, Expansion, and Upgrades
    The world map. It's big. As big as your computer has space for the numbers. And you can build on it.
    Build stuff to upgrade Grabbus and Morris' abilities. Build roads to explore further out. Build stuff to make delves easier. Build stuff to make them harder. Build stuff that helps build other stuff. Build shops, then shop for more items, or buildings to build. Then have that shop get destroyed by a creep while you were in a dungeon. That's right, the world map is dynamic and keeps running turn-by-turn with each floor you complete in a delve. Hope nothing bad happens while you're away!
  • -Always a New Challenge
    Grabbus scales in difficulty and complexity (Not just HP and damage boosts!) as you venture further out in the world map. Stranger, more dangerous challenges or characters may appear. But the rewards are too great to ignore... Some say you may even gain the power to change the world as you see fit...
    My goal is to take advantage of procedural generation techniques I've developed over many years of experimentation to increase the variety of emergent gameplay possibilities and objectives. But I'll have more details on that as I come to it.
  • -Accessibility
    Grabbus is a game for everyone! So I'm open to feedback about new options and modes, and for avoiding insensitive content.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 09:03:43 AM by Dawmino » Logged
Onimwad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 12:23:32 PM »

Updated with a new video on the summary!!
Still hard at work!

There's lots of little things I have to add before I'm ready for the first downloadable demo.
My plan is to have a good number of buildings and building mechanics, smoother overworld movement, more enemy and item types, new weapon graphics, and a bunch more...
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 02:24:24 PM »

Well this looks interesting, especially the two different isometric perspectives. Following!
Onimwad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 08:32:38 AM »

Well this looks interesting, especially the two different isometric perspectives. Following!

Thanks for the kind words!
Onimwad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 09:36:59 PM »

Still working on it!
I just finished most of the randomly generated building stuff, so now you can upgrade Morris' abilities by finding random blueprints, fusing them to get bigger, more powerful ones, and placing them on the infinite world map.

Onimwad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 01:22:47 PM »

There's now an official website!
I'll update it later with more material, but I'm pretty glad about the url. It's simple!
Grabb.us

Besides that, I've still been hard at work on the game all this time, though not with as much time as I'd like.
But I've made great strides in the  last few weeks and months! More of the game is coming together as a nice vertical slice for the demo. With a concentrated final push I could get this ready for showing off!! Realistically that's probably a few more months away. But I'm not deterred! I'm more motivated than ever! I really am making a video game!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 01:04:14 AM »

Getting mild Simcity 2000 vibes from the last screenshots, except a lot more vibrant and colorful :D
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 01:14:01 AM »

I don't see halve of the key points in the screenshots that you named in the title :-) But the art style sure is nice! What does the player do in this game?

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Onimwad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 04:50:28 AM »

All of what's described there is already in the game in some form, but its either stuff that has an incomplete UI or still needs screenshots put up. I'll find the time when I can.

For instance there is a whole cutscene editor coded, but it needs more character art and functionality before it's usable for creating in-game scenes.
I still need to make new sprites for weapons, new buildings, items, enemies, etc.

So at the moment there's not a lot to look at or do, but as I finish up the systems underlying the game, more visual indications of it will appear as it becomes easier to add new content smoothly.
Onimwad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 08:36:23 AM »

Haven't posted in a while, but I've been working the whole time! And recently, progress has accelerated, since I quit my job!
(Don't worry, I've got plenty of money saved from work and support from my family and friends!)

Here are the major bits touched-on since last I posted (that I can remember):
  • -Vastly upgraded tileset system with more kinds of tiles, and better transitions between them, with new decoration fixtures too!
  • -New weapon sprites of 9 types, comprised of multiple colorized pieces
  • -New item types, artifacts and relics. Artifacts are inert, but can be mixed in any combo to make a relic which provides a passive buff or effect that scales with the relic's potency value
  • -New "threat" level shown on world map. Determines the difficulty/reward scaling of upcoming delves. Goes up a tiny flat amount as you succeed, but drops by a percentage when you perish. How high can you climb?
  • -Get bonus loot drops for picking up enough money past your wallet max!
  • -Hitshield status mechanic, prevents one instance of damage per hitshield, which is then consumed
  • -Enemy stun, grab, and throw! Items can also be thrown. Objects that go fast enough do "meteor" damage!
  • -Inventory rework: Sorting dial, infinite scroll, fusion recipe preview, gamepad-friendly, cooler look!
  • -World map rework and major optimizations: Bigger, faster, more beautiful, now with biome-mixing and tile cache
  • -Projectile graphics rework and optimization
  • -Enemy code and combat-calculation system rework (in prep for adding more enemies and combat mechanics)
  • -New original music commissioned, with more on the way!
  • -Improvements to delve generation stability, speed, and aesthetics
  • -A huge number of bug fixes and QoL additions to make things smooooth

The plan is to continue adding and polishing what I can to prepare for a demo at the end of this year!
The demo will mainly only include delve gameplay, with world map campaign building stuff coming after.
BUT you'll still get to see the world map between delves in a transition screen!

I'll try to get a new video up at some point of how the game looks now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 09:10:08 AM by Dawmino » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic