Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:39:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1449463 times)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3140 on: March 06, 2015, 09:17:37 AM »

Ha, so I was playing on a computer on campus and someone stopped and watched for like ten minutes. Complimented the art style and animations.
I thought that was pretty cool
---
I find it odd that lizards can't swim, since crocs and all lot of other reptiles are good swimmers.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:23:05 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: March 06, 2015, 09:20:17 AM »

For rain signposting, I wonder if ambient wildlife might be a good way to go about letting you know how far away the rain is. I know that lizards are aware of the rain cycle and start heading home to their dens at a certain point, but perhaps there could be more stages than that, sort of like an environmental, biological timer. If 0 is the beginning, and 100 is the rain comes, then perhaps at 25 there's some sort of signal (anemone creatures start retracting, whatever), then at 50 (the point at which you should probably start heading home) there's another, and so forth.

I assume there will be audio cues for the rain. Like music turning to a higher tempo or a few distant thunders. Gradual biome reactions would definitely be great though.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3142 on: March 06, 2015, 09:36:01 AM »

Just in case you were wondering, yes, an unusually large swarm of leeches can even take down the mighty vulture

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: March 06, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »

I have a question/suggestion. Can you hunt leeches with a spear? If you can't already, I think that would be a neat addition.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3144 on: March 06, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »

I have a question/suggestion. Can you hunt leeches with a spear? If you can't already, I think that would be a neat addition.
You can't aim spear throws, only left and right throws, so hunting leeches with spears would be tough. And really getting in the water with them is a last resort, since it only takes a few to weigh you down till you drown.

theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: March 06, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »

Leech sushi!

Also, @Christian, I like the idea of the rain not being seen. Part of my draw to rain world is the raw emotional attachment to it. The rain is something that will kill you, and when it does it will be very dark. Then you will be in intense pain, and then you will be dead. Again, wholeheartedly agree with and support this idea.

The vulture being able to fit into vents makes absolutely no sense to me. It is an apex predator, and on top of that it can go wherever you go, even the den. Beyond the blatant breaking of the laws of physics, I think this is unfair.

Anyway, just my 2.5 cents for the day.
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: March 06, 2015, 12:18:18 PM »

I assume there will be audio cues for the rain. Like music turning to a higher tempo or a few distant thunders. Gradual biome reactions would definitely be great though.

That would also work. Though, since we were on the topic of accessible design earlier, it seems like it would be friendly to have visual cues for the deaf and hearing impaired.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3147 on: March 06, 2015, 01:52:23 PM »

That would also work. Though, since we were on the topic of accessible design earlier, it seems like it would be friendly to have visual cues for the deaf and hearing impaired.
Joar and James are already on the right track. The vulture's shadow and the way the world darkens and shakes as the rain approaches are two super-effective examples already in the game

Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: March 06, 2015, 02:29:15 PM »

The rain is something that will kill you, and when it does it will be very dark. Then you will be in intense pain, and then you will be dead.
If you lived there, how would you know that? You just know that something will kill (take?) you if you stay outside for too long, but you have no idea what it is, how it looks like and why it kills. Because it's not possible to see it and survive.

I think lack of visible rain on the "game over" screen can help to highlight this ambiguity.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:36:13 PM by Teod » Logged
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: March 06, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »

Joar and James are already on the right track. The vulture's shadow and the way the world darkens and shakes as the rain approaches are two super-effective examples already in the game

The vulture shadow is so incredibly perfect. Every time I see it, I get that small frightened animal feeling. So yeah, Joar and James are definitely on the right track - I just wanted to point out that a sonic solution for the rain timer wouldn't necessarily solve the problem for everyone.
RainWorldIsAwesome
Level 0

Rain

View Profile
« Reply #3150 on: March 06, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »

hey guys just wanted to point out that if you have a controller, (which i do but don't know how to use) and you go to the setup.txt file and change the player 2 line from "0" to "1" another slugcat spawns at the start, and its the same yellow one from way back, so now you can play with friends! it think... i don't know how screen scrolling would work though since i haven't tried it because i don't know how to use the remote Sad but im interested if anybody could try and post the results, also managed to kill two lizards. the first one quite brutally.. Evil http://i.imgur.com/06aHcT6s.jpg and the other image isnt wanting to download so ill post it later.

Felius Limax
Venator Lacertae
Woodledude
Level 0

What does this text field do?

View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: March 06, 2015, 06:19:21 PM »

I've been thinking about the whole issue with the vulture going through the shortcuts, and I had a thought... It would be interesting if the vultures could get their necks stuck in the pipes and have to force themselves back out, and were consequently just a little bit wary of the shortcuts. I think it would be neat to be able to trick a vulture into chasing you into one shortcut, then circle around and be able to do what you wish in the room as it struggled to get free.  Evil

Fledgling game designer. Be prepared for walls of text with little coherency and much rambling. Thank you for your time, and tell me what you think.
fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: March 06, 2015, 08:04:49 PM »

I've been thinking about the whole issue with the vulture going through the shortcuts, and I had a thought... It would be interesting if the vultures could get their necks stuck in the pipes and have to force themselves back out, and were consequently just a little bit wary of the shortcuts. I think it would be neat to be able to trick a vulture into chasing you into one shortcut, then circle around and be able to do what you wish in the room as it struggled to get free.  Evil

That's hilarious.

Also, vultures standing over/grabbing the entrance and trying to peck into the pipes would be a nice visual. Probably a pain to animate though.

Speaking of which... I just realized a huge part of the game is that the player can always see the whole map. It's something decided from the very beginning, but with creature interactions become more and more complex, it can feel a bit...unfair that our slugcat doesn't have to worry about running into a shortcut, only to emerge into a predator's mouth (or we realize the moment we get in the shortcut, anyway).

Rain World maps are probably structually too complex to force the player to have limited line of sight, but maybe inside pipe = fog of war over other creatures would be a nice compromise?

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: March 06, 2015, 08:28:30 PM »

For some reason (obvious) this is how I hear the raining approaching in my head

That won't be like that in rainworld I guess Big Laff

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3154 on: March 07, 2015, 05:16:50 AM »

Rain World maps are probably structually too complex to force the player to have limited line of sight, but maybe inside pipe = fog of war over other creatures would be a nice compromise?

we still have one game mechanic we'd like to explore that hasn't even begun to be implemented yet, and that's "darkness". the regions seen so far are all above ground or near surface subterranean where light is plentiful, but as you go much deeper into the ground the concept is similar to as you describe: a tighter, maze-like gameplay with limited visibility and lighting. BUT we haven't even tried it yet, so we'll see how it goes.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3155 on: March 07, 2015, 05:44:13 AM »

we still have one game mechanic we'd like to explore that hasn't even begun to be implemented yet, and that's "darkness". the regions seen so far are all above ground or near surface subterranean where light is plentiful, but as you go much deeper into the ground the concept is similar to as you describe: a tighter, maze-like gameplay with limited visibility and lighting. BUT we haven't even tried it yet, so we'll see how it goes.
Oh, man, just thinking of the weird subterranean creatures you guys could make...
A dark region has so much potential for creepy atmosphere, light and shadow, bioluminescence, etc.
Have you thought of what the region would be? Subway system? Catacombs? Catacombs could be cool because you could hint at the civilization before; Paris catacombs have everything from tombs to a Nazi bunker and an underground castle
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:00:48 AM by Christian » Logged

Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: March 07, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »

That would require a lot of mechanical changes. Even the main killing rain mechanic won't work well underground and has to be replaced with rapid flooding or something like that.
Visibility... For some reason I imagine it working like in cartoons: in the darkness you can only see the eyes. And there should be some multi-eyed predator to play on that. You walk slowly in the darkness, and then you see a whole bunch of eyes opening right in front of yours.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3157 on: March 07, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »

That would require a lot of mechanical changes. Even the main killing rain mechanic won't work well underground and has to be replaced with rapid flooding or something like that.
Visibility... For some reason I imagine it working like in cartoons: in the darkness you can only see the eyes. And there should be some multi-eyed predator to play on that. You walk slowly in the darkness, and then you see a whole bunch of eyes opening right in front of yours.
Which is why perhaps not seeing the rain would work best. It would sidestep that inconsistency of seeing the Game Over rainfall underground or even now in Drainage System. The world rumbling from the thunder and approaching rain would still make sense underground and then the flooding/killing rain is left to your imagination, save for the sound or something

I'd love to see some creature that works like an angler fish, a predator that attracts poor slugcats to their doom with a tail or lure that looks like bats in the dark

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: March 07, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »

Concurred. To be honest I'm not sure if an entire new map/region is worth the hassle right now. Though flooding in a dark level probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement. We already know slugcats don't swim, after all.

Another option for limited-visibility level would be actual fog or steam from still-running machines.

theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: March 07, 2015, 11:13:31 AM »

Something with multiple eyes sounds nice. Not sure about the angler idea. Maybe have bioluminescent plants; something you could pick and carry with you like a lamp. Possibly the creature that inhabits this realm could be momentarily "stunned" by the light, offering some kind of defense to you? Also, maybe some kind of restriction on carrying the plant above ground; it dies when exposed to daylight? The creature could be light sensitive as well. Catacombs sounds like a good idea, maybe have strange dysfunctional machines laying around. Maybe even some neon lights that still work.

While im on the subject, you guys already have a "suburban" region. Any plans for an "urban" one? I.e., skyscrapers? That could be a good place for most of the creatures to come Into contact.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic