Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 12:59:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1449343 times)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3160 on: March 07, 2015, 11:16:21 AM »

Concurred. To be honest I'm not sure if an entire new map/region is worth the hassle right now. Though flooding in a dark level probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement. We already know slugcats don't swim, after all.

Another option for limited-visibility level would be actual fog or steam from still-running machines.
But even if there was flooding, it would probably be like the rain. The Game Over, the looming threat that drives you back to a den, not something that impacts the gameplay in a mechanical or technical way.

And regarding swimming:

Something with multiple eyes sounds nice. Not sure about the angler idea. Maybe have bioluminescent plants; something you could pick and carry with you like a lamp. Possibly the creature that inhabits this realm could be momentarily "stunned" by the light, offering some kind of defense to you? Also, maybe some kind of restriction on carrying the plant above ground; it dies when exposed to daylight? The creature could be light sensitive as well. Catacombs sounds like a good idea, maybe have strange dysfunctional machines laying around. Maybe even some neon lights that still work.

While im on the subject, you guys already have a "suburban" region. Any plans for an "urban" one? I.e., skyscrapers? That could be a good place for most of the creatures to come Into contact.
Yes, that sounds so good. That would tie in with the idea Joar had, special items you could carry around.  For example, a vulture skull covering would repel lizards
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:21:57 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: March 07, 2015, 11:20:45 AM »

Concurred. To be honest I'm not sure if an entire new map/region is worth the hassle right now. Though flooding in a dark level probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement. We already know slugcats don't swim, after all.

Another option for limited-visibility level would be actual fog or steam from still-running machines.
But even if there was flooding, it would probably be like the rain. The Game Over, the looming threat that drives you back to a den, not something that impacts the gameplay in a mechanical or technical way.

And regarding swimming:

Something with multiple eyes sounds nice. Not sure about the angler idea. Maybe have bioluminescent plants; something you could pick and carry with you like a lamp. Possibly the creature that inhabits this realm could be momentarily "stunned" by the light, offering some kind of defense to you? Also, maybe some kind of restriction on carrying the plant above ground; it dies when exposed to daylight? The creature could be light sensitive as well. Catacombs sounds like a good idea, maybe have strange dysfunctional machines laying around. Maybe even some neon lights that still work.

While im on the subject, you guys already have a "suburban" region. Any plans for an "urban" one? I.e., skyscrapers? That could be a good place for most of the creatures to come Into contact.
Yes, that sounds so good. That would tie in with the thing Joar was working on, special items you could carry around.  For example, a vulture skull covering would repel lizards
Psst, try dropping a snail in the water first Smiley

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: March 07, 2015, 12:03:45 PM »

Honestly though, I really think another slugcat action is needed. For many uses.

For example, I killed a Lizard yesterday by spearing it, super cool, felt awesome, until I realized I had killed it over the only exit in the room. With another Lizard in the room as well. And I couldn't nudge the Lizard off the tunnel with my body because the Lizard's tail was partially in the tunnel itself. So, quite quickly, the other Lizard scurried over to me and eventually killed me.

So, and I think I said this a while back in the Devlog, a third action that the slugcat should be able to do is Claw Objects- with a few other uses.

It would be the 'c' key on the keyboard (which would be perfect b/c ZXC), and pressing it would do three of the following things:

1) Claw, or 'scratch' at Lizards and Vultures. Whichever direction you're facing, pressing C would have that arm extend and, like it had claws extended from its fingers, scratch/swipe at the enemies, very briefly stunning them. Like you scraped their noses and they do a knee-jerk reaction to get away. It would be momentary pain for them, but just enough time to try another attempt at escape.

2) Further use with Lizards, if a Lizard is dead, then pressing C would have slugcat grab the limp body with both arms and slowly, but effectively, move the body a few lizard-lengths, before tiring out.
----I know we currently can 'walk' into a dead Lizard body and it will nudge until it hits a wall, but in my case up above I really wish I had a way of moving the body to get the tail out of the tunnel.

(((ooh, cool idea here- maybe also have slugcat be able to press C and 'ride' a Lizard like a cowboy??? :D You could hurt the Lizard a little bit, but very quickly it would fling you off its back. This one is more just a crazy idea, not something I'm actually asking be added)))

3) Pressing C, while being covered in many leeches, would claw at/wipe off leeches while underwater, giving you a slight chance of getting out of the water alive, though still out of breath.

----------
I'm not suggesting this new action as a way to make the game easier. In fact, I think it would make it harder in the fact that you would now have many options to choose from. Finding the perfectly effective method would be better in the end, but you would have to wager instinctual key-pressing (C) that isn't as effective as the other methods of surviving, over the more strategical playing like it is right now.

----
Just my two cents. Am definitely wondering what your guys' thoughts on are on this, especially the Alpha players right now.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3163 on: March 07, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »

Definitely would like to be able to drag corpses, I've had that same issue of dead lizards and vultures blocking vent entrances.

Perhaps rather than a claw swipe, I'd like to be able to stab with a spear and hit with a rock/brick/etc. Those attacks would only stun and only slightly hurt creatures, but not cause enough damage to seriously hurt them. Not really sold on a claw swipe, I kind of like being defenseless while unarmed. Adds to the cat-and-mouse tension, and makes it more satisfying when you do get some tools and can turn the tables

Regarding paw swipes, I wish lizards used their feet offensively, rather than only biting and thrashing. Like when lizards are fighting dominance, would be cool to see them clawing at eachother. Or a lizard clawing at a vulture when it's held in the vuiture's mandibles

Haven't encounted any moments yet where I felt that the need to remove leeches was necessary.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: March 07, 2015, 12:24:40 PM »

Definitely would like to be able to drag corpses, I've had that same issue of dead lizards and vultures blocking vent entrances.

Perhaps rather than a claw swipe, I'd like to be able to stab with a spear and hit with a rock/brick/etc. Those attacks would only stun and only slightly hurt creatures, but not cause enough damage to seriously hurt them. Not really sold on a claw swipe, I kind of like being defenseless while unarmed. Adds to the cat-and-mouse tension, and makes it more satisfying when you do get some tools and can turn the tables

Regarding paw swipes, I wish lizards used their feet offensively, rather than only biting and thrashing. Like when lizards are fighting dominance, would be cool to see them clawing at eachother. Or a lizard clawing at a vulture when it's held in the vuiture's mandibles
Had to read that twice to get it. You mean Stab, but not throw, a spear or brick/rock. Yeah that seems good too.

You jab the spear at a charging Lizard, it gets stunned for a few seconds, and you get to scurry away without having to retrieve the spear.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3165 on: March 07, 2015, 12:44:54 PM »

Had to read that twice to get it. You mean Stab, but not throw, a spear or brick/rock. Yeah that seems good too.

You jab the spear at a charging Lizard, it gets stunned for a few seconds, and you get to scurry away without having to retrieve the spear.
That was kind of overly wordy, Yes, I meant stabbing with a spear. I think that would be a useful move. Also would let you get free of white and blue lizards without having to lose your spear
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:10:19 PM by Christian » Logged

theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: March 07, 2015, 02:11:47 PM »

2) Further use with Lizards, if a Lizard is dead, then pressing C would have slugcat grab the limp body with both arms and slowly, but effectively, move the body a few lizard-lengths, before tiring out.
----I know we currently can 'walk' into a dead Lizard body and it will nudge until it hits a wall, but in my case up above I really wish I had a way of moving the body to get the tail out of the tunnel.

3) Pressing C, while being covered in many leeches, would claw at/wipe off leeches while underwater, giving you a slight chance of getting out of the water alive, though still out of breath.

Just my two cents. Am definitely wondering what your guys' thoughts on are on this, especially the Alpha players right now.

I don't really like the idea of number 3. I think the idea of the leeches being extremely deadly is epic. Besides, you can't possibly have the coordination, (even as a slugcat), to both claw them off AND swim while in the water. I do like the "C" key as a hand, (paw?) action however. The "spear stab" is a good idea, you have no idea how much I have wanted to do this.

I don't really see this. If they are like crocodiles, then I would imagine that their main weapons are their jaws and head. Their legs aren't really long enough to be a primary weapon. It would be nice as a side addition, say for lizard vs. lizard fights.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3167 on: March 07, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »

You articulated pretty much what I was thinking about leeches. They're this scary danger in an element completely alien to the slugcat. Even lizards are scared of water and for good reason.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: March 07, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »

This epitomizes every play-through I've ever had on the Canopy...

NOTE: The 2nd vulture on the ground, seemingly killed by the vulture that swoops me up.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3169 on: March 07, 2015, 03:50:02 PM »

This epitomizes every play-through I've ever had on the Canopy...

NOTE: The 2nd vulture on the ground, seemingly killed by the vulture that swoops me up.
Never gets old seeing the vulture in motion

Should have dropped down and ran for the vent on the right instead of trying to outrun it
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:26:43 PM by Christian » Logged

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3170 on: March 07, 2015, 05:22:53 PM »

I really enjoyed meeting and talking with you guys today. Very excited about Rain World!

It's incredible scrolling through the pages and seeing how this developed over time.
Great stuff! Inspiring; keep up the good work.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: March 07, 2015, 06:22:09 PM »

oh, that reminds me.

@James and Joar, how is it going at PAX? Any footage we can see?  Well, hello there!
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3172 on: March 07, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »

entschuldigung, wen is release game ?

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: March 07, 2015, 08:24:29 PM »

Hehe, meant to say that they don't breathe underwater. Slugcats sure are deft swimmers.

oh, that reminds me.

@James and Joar, how is it going at PAX? Any footage we can see?  Well, hello there!

Check their twitter feed and the adult swim one.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3174 on: March 07, 2015, 11:21:06 PM »

Hehe, meant to say that they don't breathe underwater. Slugcats sure are deft swimmers.

oh, that reminds me.

Who's who again? Last time I saw you guys talk was PAX 2014 interview videos

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: March 07, 2015, 11:28:58 PM »

oh, that reminds me.

Who's who again? Last time I saw you guys talk was PAX 2014 interview videos
Left is Joar. Crazy hair James Tongue

akryl9296
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: March 08, 2015, 01:35:59 AM »

When do we get the new build AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 Facepalm

RainWorld alpha map: 141220
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3177 on: March 08, 2015, 04:33:58 AM »

Facepalm
Wow, that map you made is excellent! I hadn't seen it before. Thanks for putting it together
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:12:55 AM by Christian » Logged

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: March 08, 2015, 08:30:16 AM »

Facepalm
Go to the Humble store and resend your key.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3179 on: March 08, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »

Lizard plushies?!

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic