Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:34:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNo one ain't got nuffin' on Björn
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: No one ain't got nuffin' on Björn  (Read 6844 times)
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2011, 03:30:31 AM »

Hi there!

MagnoB (lol, I just found out nob is in the abbreviation Tongue) is a game I'm working on. The idea is that Mario doesn't want to come up North so Björn is going to have to clean the sewers himself. Luckily Björn is ten times as awesome as Mario so he has no trouble doing so at all.

In terms of gameplay it's an arena brawler with a neat combo mechanic. Just play it, you'll find out. Smiley

There will be three levels, each with a set of 3 different enemies. But at the moment only level 1 is done.

This is a quick project of mine, which I hope to finish in under a month. Wish me luck! Crazy

Facts about Björn:
  • Björn eats Mario for breakfast. Luckily for Mario Björn's breakfast is only an annual occasion.
  • Björn can always see you. In fact, he has never disengaged in any staring competition he has ever started...
  • It is important to balance your triceps' and biceps' muscle mass. Luckily for Björn ∞/∞ is still 1.
  • Björn once played a saxophone duet with the Epic Sax Guy. Sergey Stepanov couldn't keep up...
  • Björn lives further up North than Santa Claus does.
  • Pokémon can only say their own name. Björn can only hear is own name.
  • Lucky Luke can shoot faster than his shadow. Björn doesn't even have a shadow.

please tell me: is it fun to play?, does the tutorial work?, is it too ugly? WTF

Cheers,

Maxim

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:21:27 AM by Maxim Schoemaker » Logged

dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:27:21 AM »

The engine feels nice for what I could experience. However, I was unable to actually play the game due to not having a QWERTY keyboard. In central europe, QWERTZ Hand Any Key is used alot. There are many other layouts with Z and Y swapped, so maybe you should try to find a way to ensure maximum user-friendliness Smiley Apart from that, it looked very fluid when i pressed Z. I'd be glad to give it another try if you manage to fix it.

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 01:52:32 AM »

Is there anyone who's keyboard doesn't have A and S next to each other? Cause that's what I'm gonna change it to now

Thank you dek0! Gentleman

Edit:
Done!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:04:08 AM by Maxim Schoemaker » Logged

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 02:40:54 AM »

Björn and Bjørn are BFF Forever. And if you were wondering... Yes, forever forever is indeed quadratically more forever than ordinary forever.

dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »

Nice. I was able to play it and it was quite fun  Smiley I like the dynamic gameplay and the "combo move". If you want some more input from me: Dont seperate movement keys to different hands. Like, in most shooters or arcade games, movement is WASD+Space, CTRL, etc. One hand. I would change the jump key to the UP(arrow) key, so you move with the right hand, and do actions with the left hand.
Apart from that, I experienced some performance drops when ALOT of enemies spawned. By that, I dont mean FPS drops, but input latency. The character would not move instantly anymore, but move quite a bit after I press a movement key, and stop the movement some time after I release the key. I dont think its a big issue, most likely just a minor code flaw that can be fixed by changing something in your main game loop.

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 01:38:47 AM »

@dek0
Thanks for the feedback! The performance looks like it's going to be a pain in the butt. Flash is all happy and nice, until you put more than 20 object in the scene and than it drops you like a brick... Optimizing the code won't really work. The problem is really that flash says there are too many sprites to draw... Sad I'm looking into decreasing the amount of enemies and finding a different way to increase the difficulty.

About the separation between movement and actions. I fully agree that jump seems more logical as a direction key and initially it was that way. But my plan is to learn Björn 2 additional moves in the coming levels (and up and a down attack). The up attack requires you to hold up + attack. So if I also put jump on up then you'd always need to jump in order to do the attack. It just didn't really work when I tried it back then. But when I finish the second level I'll let you guys try out both control schemes and see which one works best. But that's for later.

Thanks again! Gentleman

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 01:52:05 AM »

There are sound effects now! Smiley

I decided to go with 8-bit sfxr sound effects, because finding sound effects somewhere else (or even making them myself) is just too much of a hassle... I found these awesome dudes called Arrowhead Audio who make sound effects and I'd love to buy a sound effects pack from them one day, but right now they only have a Squelch, Squish and Splat pack. And I'm looking for more like a Hit, Bash, Smash pack Tongue.

I am having a lot of trouble figuring out what kind of music I want, though. I Usually make the music myself. But to be honest, I'm not really that good at it Huh?. One of my thought's was to have Björn fight whilst listening to classical music like

but I'm not sure if that's allowed (or fun anyways). While working on this game I often listen to stuff on the 8bc like this chiptune here, which I guess would fit pretty well, except that I don't own the song and then I'll have to pay the dude and I don't really have that much money. In fact I'm making this game to earn money in stead of doing a boring ordinary job. So I guess I'd better find a way of getting music for free Shrug I could still try to use my own awesome klezmer chiptune songs but I don't think they fit very well...

What kind of music do you guys think would work well with MagnoB? (don't you just love alliteration?)

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 04:54:27 AM »

Telomere Research ain't got nuffin' on Björn:

Björn tried to die once. It just didn't work out...True story

chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 05:27:09 AM »

Is there anyone who's keyboard doesn't have A and S next to each other? Cause that's what I'm gonna change it to now

Yes, there's AZERTY keyboards. X and C seems to be the preferred choice that works for everyone.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 05:30:55 AM »

Yes, there's AZERTY keyboards. X and C seems to be the preferred choice that works for everyone.

Damn French...Lips Sealed Allright, I'll change it to X and C Gentleman

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 08:32:52 AM »

Damn French...Lips Sealed Allright, I'll change it to X and C Gentleman
Don't the French have QWERTZ?

Also, don't forget about the DVORAK users, or the users of Greek or Cyrillic, or other non-Latin, keyboards, for that matter. Why not just use 1 and 2 (not the numpad ones, since not everyone has a numpad either)?

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 09:53:25 AM »

Customizable controls ftw.

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 07:10:43 AM »

Customizable controls ftw.

Ever so right :3

I made a small menu so now you can choose your attack and jump key yourself. Standard is Z and X again, because I like those the best myself ^^

Second thing I changed is I took away the possibility for 3 (or 2) enemies to spawn at the same time. It doesn't add any difficulty, cause taking 1 out would mean the other would follow in combo. And 3 enemies at once in stead of 1 does fill up the screen a lot fast and thus screw up the FPS a lot earlier. Also, when the enemies are spread more the game becomes more difficult, because there is less space for you to safely stand. So, the game is a little harder now and it effects the FPS less. Hooray! Smiley

Still, I have no idea what to do with the music Sad

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 06:33:14 AM »

You're gonna love this dude, I'm sure Smiley

Introducing you to the first enemy of level 2 Gentleman

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 03:27:46 AM »

Allright, I'm back again! I just graduated from highschool (do you call that graduating, I dunno...) so I went on a holiday afterwards and then to this awesome music festival were I saw frickin' Deadmau5 and The Bloody Beatroots (omg omg omg Crazy). Anyways, I'm back and I've recommenced working on this project!

Things that are new:
  • Start of level 2 -> first enemy is done and so is the room (maybe not the colours Tongue)
  • New collision system, so I don't need to rely on the flash's crappy collision system (phew)
  • Some small graphical changes, like a double font for the score and combos, some better particles and some new cloud particles Smiley
  • General bugfixes (and lot's of it Tongue)

I've been putting it off, but now I'm going to concentrate on level 2's second enemy Gentleman

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 05:34:25 AM »

I noticed that after a short while only left facing enemies spawn in the first level.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 07:00:56 AM »

I noticed that after a short while only left facing enemies spawn in the first level.

Thx ^^ it's fixed now :3

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 03:23:34 AM »

Hi there,

It's time for an:

I've finished all 3 enemies of level 2, go check em out! They all just spawn at the same time now, but that's just for testing. Now I have to make a tutorial because in level 2 you can use an up attack -> Attack + Up.
Hope you like it Gentleman

Cheers,

Maxim Schoemaker

Ps. Damnit it! I still have no idea what to do with the music... Sad

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 07:45:35 AM »

Allright! Level 2 is now an actual level =D it's got a tutorial to show you how to do an uppercut and it's got enemy progression and stuff, like level 1 already had.

Cheers,

Maxim

Edit: I've also just added the Björnipedia, with actual commentary by Björn himself! Go check it out! Gentleman
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:39:33 PM by Maxim Schoemaker » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »

Please rename your file bjoern.php... Sad

Anyway. Tried the first level. I didn't beat it. It beat me. Is it possible to beat it if I don't suck, or does it go on for ever? I guess it doesn't, since there is a second level, so for how long does it go on? I need to estimate my chances here. Ninja

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic