Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 03:38:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 904876 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: April 07, 2015, 05:46:34 AM »

I've played BoxBoy for the first eight worlds so far. It's pretty good and the mechanic is definitely unique to me, but I find that it holds your hand just a bit too much by showing you your moves. I think it should have gone the Super Meat Boy kind of way of letting the player figure everything out. That being said, I'm sure the end game provides great depth to counter the easy nature of early levels. I also like the way it tells its story.

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: April 07, 2015, 07:03:44 AM »

I'm sure the end game provides great depth to counter the easy nature of early levels.

Oh definitely. Early-mid game is the least exciting, the mechanics aren't fresh, and the puzzles not too difficult, but a little later on, figuring out how to bypass obstacles, the different block configurations and how you use those block configurations to move you or enemies can really get at your brain. The last story world also showcases some worthy tricky puzzles, then, true to nintendo style, you get the best ones end-game, forcing you to use techniques/configurations you'd never thought of and think outside the box. I don't want to spoil it (you'll see it in the book of combos) but the last 2 worlds completely change your capabilities, and while it's not as hard as the other 3 end-game worlds, it is the most fun sets of levels in the game.

After you beat that, you get access to marathon mode where you optimize the boxes you use to get S-ranks

I also like the way it tells its story.

Same, it was confusingly depressing when the tall box does what it does
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6682 on: April 07, 2015, 09:16:46 AM »

boxboy owns. i agree with all of the comments/criticism above. it reminds me of super mario 3d land where a lot of the game is really easy (but still good) but the real meat of the game is after you "beat" it

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6683 on: April 08, 2015, 07:14:53 AM »

Here goes the list of games I've played this year - and I strongly recommend these :
- Dungeon of the endless
- Magicite
- FTL
- Legend of grimrock 2

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: April 08, 2015, 08:53:11 AM »

FTL is one of my favorite games of all time. It manages to emulate the thrill of a space adventure perfectly with great elegance and simplicity. I especially like how you can pick up missions on rare occasions to unlock achievements and bonus content.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6685 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »

imagine party babyz comes in tomorrow.

school's picking up (fuck the quarter system) so i haven't had much time to play anything other than mobile and handheld games.

i downloaded monsterbag from ps+ for vita today... it's weirdly terrible. i can't articulate how bad it is because it's bad in a really weird direction. it is all puzzles that are basically trial and error plus 1-dimensional stealth (you just move forward and backward from node to node) and then there's instant death boss-fights. the art is cute but also super gory and kind of fucked up out of nowhere. it's so... weird-bad. worth downloading if you have ps+ and a vita just to see how weird and bad it is, but don't pay money for it. tbh i'm curious to see what critical reception is, if any. just to see if i'm somehow totally off-base.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: April 09, 2015, 07:44:33 AM »

i keep hearing so many good things about cities skylines. i wanna play it but im broke at the moment. Sad
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6687 on: April 10, 2015, 12:57:02 PM »

im gonna buy axiom verge when i have the extra munz
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6688 on: April 10, 2015, 01:26:53 PM »

Kinda interesting concept, the glitch gun, but paradox at the same time. If it is an intended mechanic of the game it is not a glitch anymore, on this meta level. But from the story perspective in this bit and byte setting, I guess it makes sense.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: April 10, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »

IT'S NOT A BUG IT'S A FEATURE: THE VIDEOGAME
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6690 on: April 10, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »

lol reminds me of the ds2 durability "bug"
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6691 on: April 10, 2015, 01:40:59 PM »

IT'S NOT A BUG IT'S A FEATURE: THE VIDEOGAME
This is an excuse by incompetent devs, so the characteristic nature of bugs still remain, hehe. However if you implement a feature the nature of bugs is gone.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6692 on: April 10, 2015, 08:54:41 PM »

I've been playing a really charming platformer called Jump Teddy:

It's a little bit rough around the edges, but makes up for it with solid gameplay, great level design, and cuteness. Each level has Yoshi's-Island-esque collectibles hidden away, and it takes a bit of thinking if you want to get full completion. It's hard to articulate what it is that makes the game great, but it has that intangible quality of a labor of love.

It was submitted to me for a YouTube series I'm currently running, doing first impressions on newly released and in-development games. Here's the video I did on it:

You can get the game here if it's caught your interest: http://blockgamesinc.weebly.com/

DrFrankenstein
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6693 on: April 11, 2015, 04:34:13 AM »

I don't play a indie title at the moment, the game I play is Starcraft 2 Grin

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6694 on: April 11, 2015, 10:18:51 PM »

I'm having such a hard time finding a video game that doesn't feel like work.
Why can't games just be fun, enjoyable experiences?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:56:30 PM by Mittens » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: April 11, 2015, 11:25:06 PM »

I'm having such a hard time finding a video game that doesn't feel like work.
Why can't games just be fun, enjoyable experiences
play pokemon puzzle league with someone!!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6696 on: April 11, 2015, 11:56:14 PM »

I wish I had friends

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: April 12, 2015, 02:48:43 AM »

But this whole forum is made of friends! :D