Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 03:22:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallWaveform Kickstarter - Control a wave of light to save the galaxy!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Waveform Kickstarter - Control a wave of light to save the galaxy!  (Read 1234 times)
EdenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:29:03 AM »

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that my upcoming game Waveform currently has a Kickstarter project going on: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/499609193/waveform-indie-game-by-eden-industries

There's a lot of info there including a trailer of the game and a developer's diary with footage from numerous incarnations of the game during its development, so there's a lot of cool stuff to check out!

I'd love to hear any comments or feedback, whether about the game, the Kickstarter project, or anything else you can think of! This is my first indie game, so any and all comments and questions are welcome!

Thanks!

Ryan

Ryan Vandendyck - Founder - Eden Industries
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:47:45 PM »

It looks like a very unique idea.  You should try to make the music, or an underlying tone that goes with the music follow the waveform as it changes.

PS  Calling yourself a "CEO" is kinda lame.  (your signature)
EdenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »

Thanks CowBoyDan! I do have some ideas on more tightly integrating the music with the gameplay, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience with audio programming. I'm a gameplay programmer at heart, so even programming the engine and the rendering was a bit of a challenge. But I am planning something along the lines of what you're saying for an expansion pack after the game is released, when I have more time to investigate audio programming.

P.S.: Good call. I don't want to be lame! I changed it to founder, does that seem better?

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 07:40:52 PM »

yes it is.

I'm not much of a sound guy myself either, but you could probably get away with a nice musical tone/note/arp and use the wave from your game as a modulating input for it, or perhaps playing a recorded note (from something cool sounding that fits with your music) at the apex of the wave, and just pick the note based on the wave magnitude. 
EdenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »

Well there are already a couple things in the game that I think are similar to what you're saying.

As you collect the orbs of light, their vertical position affects the pitch as if they were notes on sheet music. And as you trace the waves up and down, the pitch of the sound that loops as you trace them goes up and down as you move up and down as well.

So I know it's not quite what you're saying, but I tried to include a few elements that modify the audio based on how the wave is interacting with objects in the world.

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:32:33 AM »

Sounds cool :-)
EdenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 08:04:11 AM »

Glad you think so! Also if anyone likes the trailer music, I put it up for download! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/499609193/waveform-indie-game-by-eden-industries/posts/139216

Let me know what you think!

EdenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:52:13 PM »

Hey we were just featured on Kotaku, which is incredible! http://kotaku.com/5862025/fund-waveform-for-a-innovative-type-of-rail-shooter

Check it out and spread the word!

Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic