Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 04:00:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAftertile
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Aftertile  (Read 35688 times)
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2016, 07:33:16 AM »

Wow I've been lurking on this for a while but apparently never commented. I love checking this thread. Warm fuzzies every time  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2017, 04:51:17 AM »

Awwwwww. Cuteness overload. Kiss

Thank you!

Wow I've been lurking on this for a while but apparently never commented. I love checking this thread. Warm fuzzies every time  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Thank you! I'm working on the story, so I'll bring extra warm fuzzies on the next posts.

Ah, that's even better! I absolutely would like to see the original editor files (especially if I can afford the program  Coffee).

As promised, I've recently made a few adjustments to my Patreon. Now +$4 patrons will receive .ase files of the public domain assets I make.

sinclairstrange
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2017, 01:51:58 PM »

Oh jeez I utterly adore the art in this game. It's stunning it's the style I completely love, that cute pixel art with a nice pastel-ish palette. Gameplay looks interesting too, going to have to keep my eye on this one! :D

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2017, 02:03:25 PM »

I read the log, it's really nice. It's already been said, but my goodness, sweet art and concept art. Your game is looking terrific!

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2017, 04:37:20 AM »

Oh jeez I utterly adore the art in this game. It's stunning it's the style I completely love, that cute pixel art with a nice pastel-ish palette. Gameplay looks interesting too, going to have to keep my eye on this one! :D

Thank you!! It's being crafted with lots of love, passion and research! Can't wait to show you guys Ghosty doing his stuff.

I read the log, it's really nice. It's already been said, but my goodness, sweet art and concept art. Your game is looking terrific!

Thank you! Knowing that makes us very happy!!!

Kinda rushing this month with a lot of stuff (design of other levels, quests, story, dialogue), many of them not in a showable state.
I'm adding new characters to rest a bit:

And I just realized I hadn't posted this one here. It's the first effect I made ever :D It'll be used in the teleport animation

Both were posted on our Patreon as well.

BTW, is anyone here using Mastodon? I am, [email protected]

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2017, 04:18:46 PM »

Our newest update: crystal torches

Soon I'll be posting another devlog and updating the front post! We have good news :D

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2017, 11:16:30 AM »

Hey guys! I updated the front post with the most recent gifs and with new info: we have a new musician (Dustin)!

Very soon I'll be posting a devlog entry. Smiley

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »

Your newest Screenshot Saturday is goooooorgeousss!  Kiss

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2017, 11:53:36 PM »

Yep. Some amazing pixel art in this game. ε:

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »

Your newest Screenshot Saturday is goooooorgeousss!  Kiss

Yep. Some amazing pixel art in this game. ε:

Thanks, guys!!

I've done lots of things! I'm trying to wrap up some info for a devlog, but if we decide to participate on the ld #38, it will have to wait just a little bit more.
Also, previously I wanted to talk about the bodhitiles on this next devlog entry, but maybe I'll do a shrine maiden part II. Not sure.

For now, gifs!!

j-swan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2017, 06:14:39 PM »

So much great art. I'm curious what the gameplay is like? It's like castlevania?

ChemiKhazi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »

Been following this project on various social media sites, great to see a more indepth devlog here!

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2017, 10:07:56 AM »

Great, fluid spirit world you've got going. I especially like the mushroom and rock stacks in your most recently posted GIFs. Smiley I actually like the floppy pancake mushrooms more than the flatter, more detailed ones, although it's cute that they have the rope on top. Smiley Good luck!

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2017, 02:01:52 AM »

Your assets are the best. I love the organic forms.  Shocked

Sadly, the background can not keep up with it, in my opinion. The grid logic is pretty obvious and contradicts the beautiful foreground work. I'd love to see more loose background work without that grid limitation.

In contrast to the background, i don't mind if the foreground is blocky at all, because it's tied to the game logic.

(Also, i don't think you need the cyan outline around the foreground tiles.)

P.S.: I saw the Bard Shrine Maiden over at Twitter... just WOW!
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »

Even though I agree that the art assets are great, my impression is almost the opposite.  The background image that Zorg mentioned looks like it has enough variety that it doesn't look like tiles but for me the foreground tiles don't seem to fit the rest.  Maybe it isn't because those are tiles but I can see the repetition that might be the actual issue with tiles.  But this is just one those subjective issues, so you'll have to go with what works best for you! Smiley

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »

Hi guys!
Your assets are the best. I love the organic forms.  Shocked

Sadly, the background can not keep up with it, in my opinion. The grid logic is pretty obvious and contradicts the beautiful foreground work. I'd love to see more loose background work without that grid limitation.

In contrast to the background, i don't mind if the foreground is blocky at all, because it's tied to the game logic.

(Also, i don't think you need the cyan outline around the foreground tiles.)

P.S.: I saw the Bard Shrine Maiden over at Twitter... just WOW!

Thank you!! I've animated the bard shrine maiden, as you can see in the devlog below. About the tiles, I see what you mean, but I don't see the grid logic as being too obvious.
I'm a bit unsure of changing the background structure on this stage and making it deviate from the other stages. Also, it can be time consuming and there are lots of other assets I need to work on still. Let's see how things develop and how I can manage production.

Even though I agree that the art assets are great, my impression is almost the opposite.  The background image that Zorg mentioned looks like it has enough variety that it doesn't look like tiles but for me the foreground tiles don't seem to fit the rest.  Maybe it isn't because those are tiles but I can see the repetition that might be the actual issue with tiles.  But this is just one those subjective issues, so you'll have to go with what works best for you! Smiley

The foreground look like tiles... hm... Maybe they do. It's been a while since I've tweaked them. I think it's necessary to play a little bit the game and see how relevant and noticeable the tile logic is in actual gameplay.

It's been a while since I've written any formal devlog, so here it is:

I’d like to introduce, and welcome once again, LOSTALLOY’S newest member: Dustin Van Wyk. Dustin is our musician and friend, and he will be part of our gamedev journey from now on.

Here's one of the first tracks he composed for the game: Shamans

Now, it’s time to talk about the shrine maidens. Once more.

I’d initially planned to write this devlog about the bodhitiles, but as I continued working on the game, the shrine maidens kept growing and developing almost organically. I can’t stop them!

As they initially were only the save system of the game, they grew to be an essential and integrating part of the game’s story and world. They have a village, they populate the game’s world, they interact with ghosts and they maintain the order of the Comet.

One thing that contributed a lot to this deepening was one of Dustin’s compositions, “Shamans”. I had a few ideas of how I wanted the shrine maiden village theme to be, and upon showing him the references (that varied from “I am Setsuna” to an obscure game named “YAS”) he came back with the most enchanting tune! The bustling chip sounds and the constant and smooth beat gave the feeling of a very welcoming place that is full of life, and full of people doing things and going on about their business while still caring for others.

In short, the shrine maidens are all sisters, they are all Guanyin’s descendants, protectors of the Ever-Floating Comet and guides for those who live there. They are also good company, entertainers, researchers, creators, and so on and so forth.

That’s why now Aftertile’s songs are all performed by Soft Hugs, an all-girls all-shrine maidens band that make music with traditional Japanese instruments.

And here's the teaser:

Each of them were named after the instrument they play, all which were chosen upon careful consideration (both the instruments and the names):

Ryuuko (dragon flute)

Tsuko (tsuzumi)

Shako (shamisen)

Yuuko (kokyuu)

I don’t want to spoil too much, but I can say that I have big plans for their presence in game.

Currently, I’m satisfied with how things are progressing, and with how I’m being able to develop the characters and maintain the consistency among them.

The next devlog will be about rules and bodhitiles, as promised. Unless the mikos hijack my writing. They are pretty hardcore.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2017, 11:34:02 AM »

Already noticed them on twitter, they are absolutely adorable. Kiss
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2017, 08:23:40 AM »

I LOVE the Soft Hugs! I just finally played the prototype you have which I had gotten from the big charity bundle on itch. Although it was simple, it did get me a bit enthused, both with the floatiness, and the basic soundtrack I thought had a good vibe for a -Vania type game.

But yeah, been following on Patreon and loving all the art and whatnot.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »

Already noticed them on twitter, they are absolutely adorable. Kiss

Thank you!!
I LOVE the Soft Hugs! I just finally played the prototype you have which I had gotten from the big charity bundle on itch. Although it was simple, it did get me a bit enthused, both with the floatiness, and the basic soundtrack I thought had a good vibe for a -Vania type game.

But yeah, been following on Patreon and loving all the art and whatnot.

Thank you for your kind words! We are really keen to keeping it with the same floaty vibe. Have you listened to "Shamans"? How did you like it?

Game here to share:
Gaming Miko

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2017, 01:59:47 PM »

Hi everyone!

We've released another teaser video!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to: