Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 01:41:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 150085 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: December 29, 2012, 04:47:10 AM »

I can answer that. He's helping out with programming right now but seeing his artistic skills I wouldn't blink an eye if he offered to help in that aspect too. Though I think I can manage graphics right now, plus getting our art styles to match might be difficult.

claudiom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 29, 2012, 05:15:24 AM »

I had the pleasure to work with Joshua (Unicorrida and Indie Speed Run) and I'm pretty sure that he'll give an incredible contribution to this project which I think it's awesome.

I'm looking forward for this project, it's very interesting.

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: December 29, 2012, 10:33:55 AM »

Yep, I'm actually a programmer on this project. Honestly, it is a nice change of pace. I think Eigen is doing a great job on the art, so I'll let him worry about that. I get to flex my C++ muscles.  Cheesy

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 30, 2012, 02:37:05 AM »

Great to hear Eigen found someone willing to help! Here's to hoping the collaboration will produce something greater than the sum of it's parts.  Coffee
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: December 30, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »

This is fantastic news. Cheers to all involved!  Beer!
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: January 13, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »

Still kind of a mockup but this is how the camp (and eventually ship) details will be displayed. Simply showing a window with some labels and the item grid didn't feel right. This I feel fits the style of the game better.

I'm not terribly happy with the trees, they are too noisy. Plus this may be too hi-res for me to pull off properly but I'm not giving up yet. Gotta practice some more. I like the tent, I think it turned out nice. I wasn't sure how shade it so it wouldn't look crap so I didn't.

Still just 4 colors Smiley

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 13, 2013, 09:15:40 PM »

Still kind of a mockup but this is how the camp (and eventually ship) details will be displayed. Simply showing a window with some labels and the item grid didn't feel right. This I feel fits the style of the game better.

I'm not terribly happy with the trees, they are too noisy. Plus this may be too hi-res for me to pull off properly but I'm not giving up yet. Gotta practice some more.

I kinda like the trees the way they are :-) I think you did a fantastic job.

I like the tent, I think it turned out nice. I wasn't sure how shade it so it wouldn't look crap so I didn't.

The tent looks superrr cool indeed!

Still just 4 colors Smiley

Amazing!! Still!
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: January 14, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »

-Campsite-

Gadzooks!  My Word!
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: January 14, 2013, 07:11:50 PM »

I'm not terribly happy with the trees, they are too noisy.

This looks great as is but if you want my thoughts on the trees:

The nearest line of trees are both too flat and too round at the same time. Too flat because each branch is shaded the same in isolation and the overall cone shape of the tree doesn't come out. Too round because I think a background element should have less shading effects overall with fewer details and highlights.

I'm still in awe of what you're able to do with those 4 colors.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: January 14, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »

awesome work dude

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:57 PM »

Thanks guys! Smiley

I posted an improved version in the pixel art thread last night. Here it is:

Removing the middle layer of trees improves readability a lot, I think. The logs and stones are now properly pixeled too, no more spray tool sillyness. When I get a chance I'm going to try playing with the trees too but I'm quite happy the way it's now. Gotta move on.

I now need a similar graphic piece for the ship Hand Pencil Screamy Hand Pencil

Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 15, 2013, 01:44:33 AM »

Removing the middle layer of trees improves readability a lot, I think.

I much preferred it with the middle layer of trees. But I do like the added details on the ground and the new fireplace... good job Eigen Hand Thumbs Up Right
kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 15, 2013, 12:34:51 PM »

I much preferred it with the middle layer of trees. But I do like the added details on the ground and the new fireplace... good job Eigen Hand Thumbs Up Right

I didn't mind the middle layer either, but I can see the point about making it less detailed so that they make the tent stand out more. Originally I found the tent to be a bit too tall in comparison with the trees but I guess it depends on your expectation of the height of a tree. :-)

The logs look much better now, great improvement! But I find the new ring of stones to look a bit silly - they're way too similar and evenly placed.

Also, it seems unlikely that there's a tent, a fireplace and everything else is perfect nature. You know what I mean? No gear lying around, no kettle over the fire, no footsteps between the tent and the fireplace etc.

Nevertheless, these are things one can tweak until the cows come home, so I think your decision to move on for now is probably right.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: January 18, 2013, 04:49:12 AM »

Removing the middle layer of trees killed the depth, and much of the forest feeling. Now it's just a flat line of trees.

But, I don't think it's the large graphics you have to worry about in this game, with this limited palette. Rather, it's the small icons and symbols...

For example, in that inventory, axe, sword, bow... then a pile of dirt? And I guess a water flask (though it could be more detailed)... and last... a pile of dust? Or a napkin?

You see? I wouldn't prioritize the large graphics, it's fluff anyway. You have a big enough challenge just making the UI readable.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: January 18, 2013, 05:30:56 AM »

Thanks. I see what you mean. I'll work on the trees some more, maybe redraw them completely with a little less noise.

The fourth item is supposed to be flint but I see now it should be more white instead. Drawing the items is actually more difficult, you're right. Using correct colors would help a lot.

Here are all the items I have right now. Guys, see how many you can guess and tell me what's not identifiable at all. I'm guess most of the nature-y stuff. Bows and axes oughta be clear enough. Highlight the answer below.

Row 1: Bow, binoculars, biscuits, axe, bread, crossbow, dried meat, fishing rod, flask
Row 2: Flint, knife, machete, musket, pickaxe, treebark, berries, fur, herbs
Roe 3: Meat, stone, wood, saw, shovel, tobacco, barrels (of water), sword, tent

Of course you'll get a label telling what's what but improving readability of the icons is definitely a priority.

An additional problem is scale I think. Tent as large as a loaf of bread definitely doesn't help. Gah, the more I think about it the worse it gets.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:55:22 AM by Eigen » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 18, 2013, 06:03:03 AM »

You could go with the "detailed zoomed in art box next to the inventory" approach, where the art matches the item you are hovering over. Not retro at all, but very effective.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 18, 2013, 07:50:11 AM »

Row 1: Bow, binoculars, biscuits, axe, bread, crossbow, dried meat, fishing rod, flask
Row 2: Flint, knife, machete, musket, pickaxe, treebark, berries, fur, herbs
Roe 3: Meat, stone, wood, saw, shovel, tobacco, barrels (of water), sword, tent

I mistook the biscuits for mushrooms, the flint for a sea shell, musket for a sword, bread for a side of meat, and the flask for a jug (close enough). The non-weapons/tools I didn't get at all.

Where the tools and weapons excel is clarity, and much of that can be attributed to three things: you only show one of them, you show them in profile, and you draw them with almost cartoon-like simplicity. Where the other stuff becomes illegible is in groupings, perspective, and too much detail.
solkar
Level 0

One chili to bind them into hotness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: January 18, 2013, 01:12:13 PM »

Everything that is not a man made tool was impossible to identify for me: food, stones, fur, etc.

Besides the musket looks to me more like a knife employed in some sort of satanic rite Shocked
and I thought the last item was a rice nigiri  Hand Knife Right

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: January 18, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »

Hah Cheesy

Okay, this seriously needs some work. Actually I kind of expected it when I was making these. Even I can't always tell what's what especially when I haven't looked at these for a while. I guess I need to take more cartoony take on things. It would probably help with some of the items but not all. Stuff like "herbs" or "fur.

Here are some real-life counterparts I based the stuff on:

* For the musket I used this as a reference. I know it's only a small part that's visible but I can't fit the whole thing in there.

* Tobacco leaves. The leaves come right after the shovel and there is a little resembelence but then again I had no idea what tobacco leaves looked like before I Googled it.

To be honest, there isn't a moment in game right now where you have to guess what everything is just by looking. There's always a label displaying the name. After a while you probably start to remember. Looking at the inventory items in Minecraft I too only recognize some of the items.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: January 19, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »

After a while you probably start to remember.

Yeh I agree with this totally, you probably don't need to change the icons at all as this association will build up. And for those who don't know, they have the label to look at.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic