Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 02:52:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions[Game Jolt] Official Competition with indie(Function); music interpretation
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Game Jolt] Official Competition with indie(Function); music interpretation  (Read 4605 times)
roboguy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2011, 07:19:22 AM »

Game Jolt is hosting an official competition with indie(Function);!

The competition will be hosted at Game Jolt by the site and the recently popular indie(Function); organization. This competition's plan is to raise activity at Game Jolt and provide some fun for the community. This post is going to be short and to the point, we're not going to waste your time because you probably have already soiled yourself from excitement and need to change.

When is going to happen?!

AUGUST 20TH - SEPTEMBER 24TH

This competition will run for approximately a month! Yeah, this isn't just a weekend jam. This is a full blown competition! Generally, the longer it is, the more time developers have to come up with good game ideas and actually have time to perfect their work. Now, let's look at what prizes we have laying around:

The Theme:

- Music interpretation. You can choose any song to interpret.

The Prizes:

- Top 3 games featured on Game Jolt
- Top 3 games featured on indie(Magazine);
- Top 3 games featured on indie(Radio);
- And quite possibly a cash prize for the 1st place game!

MOAR INFORMATION:

The Rules:

- Your entry must be an original game created just for this contest.
- Your entry must relate to the chosen theme.
- Your entry must be playable on Windows.
- Collaborations are fine. Go for it with someone else! We like team work!
- Only one game submission per person/team.
- There are no restrictions on creation tools, libraries, file sizes or anything like that. We like diversity. Make it in Flash, make it in Construct, code it up from scratch yourself, we don't care.
- Pre-existing code bits are acceptable, but for this contest, we'd prefer you not to use premade game engines. Any code bits must have been made by you originally.

-(Some members didn't understand this, so here's an explination: Libraries such as FlashPunk and Flixel are fine. Game dev. tools like Game Maker, Unity, and Construct are also fine. Pre-made engines such as a platform engine, CryEngine, and other things that have pre-written code for you are not accepted.)

- No mandatory fullscreen or resolution changing. Can include a fullscreen/window switching option in-game. Games MUST start in a windowed mode.

- You're encouraged to place the contest poster in your game, although it's definitely not a requirement. [Coming soon]

How to Enter:

To enter your game into the contest, you must upload the game to the main site. After doing that, reply to this forum topic with the URL to your game.

Judges:

Here's the list of judges. Wanna win? I heard they like cookies...

- Jimmy
- Bretboy129
- UnknownGamer

In Closing:

Spread the news! Let all your game development buddies know so they can freak out with you! More information coming later this week.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:48:29 PM by roboguy » Logged
roboguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:41:14 AM »

- There are no restrictions on creation tools, libraries, file sizes or anything like that. We like diversity. Make it in Flash, make it in Construct, code it up from scratch yourself, we don't care.

- Pre-existing code bits are acceptable, but for this contest, we'd prefer you not to use premade game engines. Any code bits must have been made by you originally.

So FMod would be okay?
Yes.
Christoffer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »

The Prizes:

I don't like these prizes to be honest. It kind of implies that you won't feature other submissions and I feel like a good source of information about indie games would feature any game that they would like to recommend.

Just wanted to have that said, anyway good luck!

Amp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »

Depending on the theme, I just may enter 'cause I feel like it  Beer!
Of course, I wouldn't mind getting any prizes, certainly not some amount of money Toast LeftLips Sealed

Christoffer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 08:54:46 AM »

I don't care about prizes in a competition either. But since he chose to write it like that I felt like I should tell him how I feel. A feature is always super nice and if there were four amazing games made they should feature them all not just the three "winners".

He could just have written "There may be a cash prize or maybe not." and I would still enter if it's a competition + theme I like.

roboguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »

The Prizes:

I don't like these prizes to be honest. It kind of implies that you won't feature other submissions and I feel like a good source of information about indie games would feature any game that they would like to recommend.

Just wanted to have that said, anyway good luck!

In past compo's game jolt has given out "awards" the awards aren't made in advance but tend to characterize the game. Featuring every game would be impossible on the site and take up too much space in the magazine.
Supermini_man
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »

I'm in.  Cool
Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »

I'm interested any one need an artist to collab with?
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 04:27:33 PM »

Don't forget, winning a contest gives you exposure, which is its own reward. I'd say this is far more valuable than small to moderate amounts of money.

I might be interested, pending further information. I also need to get a feel for my schedule around those times.
Pocketninja
Level 0

Pocketninja - Kurt Waldowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 07:33:48 PM »

Id be down, the transition to college in the middle may be rough though. We'll see.

man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 12:25:41 AM »

Ah so many contests at once! But I do like GameJolt and the themes are usually good, I also have an unprecedented amount of spare time of current, so I'm tentatively in for this one.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
roboguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »

The theme will be announced this week on indie radio! indie radio
leonelc29
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »

and the theme is MUSIC INTERPRETATION...wow...that hard...
Supermini_man
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 05:52:33 AM »

At first I was kinda  Concerned with the theme, but I came up with an cool idea now.
I will start working on this when my current project is finished, which shouldn't take much longer now. Smiley
Jimmy273
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »

Just remember that the song you choose can inspire any aspect of the game, whether it's a gameplay mechanic, mood, story, or other. You also do not need to include the song in your game as you probably don't hold or can obtain the rights to the song, so a link to where the judges can listen to it accompanying your entry is quit sufficient Smiley
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »

Just remember that the song you choose can inspire any aspect of the game, whether it's a gameplay mechanic, mood, story, or other. You also do not need to include the song in your game as you probably don't hold or can obtain the rights to the song, so a link to where the judges can listen to it accompanying your entry is quit sufficient Smiley

Does this have to be based on the song's lyrics? Can we use instrumental music if we can tie it into our game in a way that is more unique than mood-setting (which happens in every game)? Not sure if I can think of a way to do that, just trying to determine the contest limitations. Plus instrumental music is more likely to be public domain, so it could be used in the game.
Jimmy273
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »

Instrumentals are allowed.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic