Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411611 Posts in 69389 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 01:41:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions[YMTR] Jellyfish Reincarnation
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [YMTR] Jellyfish Reincarnation  (Read 4908 times)
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:10:20 PM »

I have some contract work I have to get done by Sunday so this could hold me up.  I think I'll probably be able to do the drawing when my coding brain is dead for the day and hopefully I'll be able to get a day for programming.

Anyway so far the game is this.  Your a jellyfish attempting to collect karma.  When you finally do succumb to your jellyfish enemies if you have enough karma you'll be reincarnated.  I still have a lot of details to hash out but reincarnation if you have collected enough karma will be a part.

Anyway here's the art style I'm going for...

As far as rules, here's the current pallete I'm using...
http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/804674/mai?widths=0
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »

OK I have fleshed out a lot more of the game.  You are a jellyfish protecting all other fish.  You let yourself get caught on a hook and when you shoot out at the surface you fire your jellyfish lighting at as many fisherman as possible.  If you take them all out you continue to the next level.  If you don't you die and if you have enough karma are reincarnated to try the level again.  When you are reincarnated you get to upgrade your body though.

As for rules I'm ignoring the no 4th wall rule
Here is some more art...

Kriechgebuesch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »

I quite like the artstyle so far! I wonder how it'll look with movement though. Do you plan on animating the jellyfish with a couple of frames or something ?  Grin
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:52:28 PM »

I quite like the artstyle so far!

Thanks I'm still working on my art a lot so I'm glad someone likes it Smiley

I plan on animating the jellyfish but for the version released on friday I may just have a couple of lame tween style animations.  Afterwards I'll probably be able to hand draw animations for stuff.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »

Here's a mock up of the actual screen or gameplay...

I'm in this weird state where I need to program this if I want to get it done but I just keep drawing.  I don't program it because I feel like if I'm programming anything it should be the thing I'm getting paid for which needs to be done by monday.  And I don't want to program that anymore because it's boring/mostly done.  Therefore the only thing I can do is keep drawing...  Lips Sealed
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:34:23 PM »

My gf saw the pictures here (over my should) and wanted me to tell you she thinks your style would be great for kids books. (high compliment)
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »

My gf saw the pictures here (over my should) and wanted me to tell you she thinks your style would be great for kids books. (high compliment)

Thanks!  I actually have always been interested in doing kids books/programs type things and have written two just for fun with some illustrations so this is a nice compliment to get.  Never got around to actually doing anything with them though.

About the actual game as is probably obvious I stopped work on it.  I got it to a prototype stage and it just wasn't any fun Sad .  Oh well I do really like the art so I want to use it for something else sometime Smiley
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 05:52:37 AM »

I am in such the opposite boat that you're in right now. I've got coding on the mind, but I'm stuck between struggling to devise art assets, and procrastinating that by playing and pushing through some 20-odd catch-up games I have yet to really embrace fully. And even though I'm pixelling roughs, it's mostly because I suck at computer illustration as a whole, and it's kind of a temporary/lazy copout of making fleshed-out looking stuff like this.

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 06:05:06 AM »

Your results may differ, but I have found it easier to model things in 3d than to draw/pixel them.  The 'hard part' is learning to use a tool in the first place (blender, max, what have you).  there's still texture painting to consider, but some of that can be accomplished with generated textures or splattering of color.  (still getting the hand of it myself, but I find it easier to say, model a space ship than to art one).  Assuming your stuff is 2d, you could render the 3d models to image and use those.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »

I am in such the opposite boat that you're in right now. I've got coding on the mind, but I'm stuck between struggling to devise art assets, and procrastinating that by playing and pushing through some 20-odd catch-up games I have yet to really embrace fully. And even though I'm pixelling roughs, it's mostly because I suck at computer illustration as a whole, and it's kind of a temporary/lazy copout of making fleshed-out looking stuff like this.

Ahh yeah well I know the feeling.  I'm mostly a coder and just over the past year have gotten a lot better at art (I still have a long way to go).  Buying a cheap tablet and forcing myself to do the art for all my games has helped me out a lot in that regard I think.  I have a bunch of game ideas I want to get done (as I'm sure we all do) but at the moment I'm doing some coding work for someone which needs to be finished so that I can get payed  Smiley

Your results may differ, but I have found it easier to model things in 3d than to draw/pixel them.  The 'hard part' is learning to use a tool in the first place (blender, max, what have you).  there's still texture painting to consider, but some of that can be accomplished with generated textures or splattering of color.  (still getting the hand of it myself, but I find it easier to say, model a space ship than to art one).  Assuming your stuff is 2d, you could render the 3d models to image and use those.

I've always kinda been interested in 3d modeling stuff.  I've never heard anyone say it was easier though, I always figured it was way hard.  I guess I'll have to try sometime.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic