Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 11:40:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSpectrum Boy [Final Release]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Spectrum Boy [Final Release]  (Read 3189 times)
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:26:12 AM »

Hey all.

I've fixed a few bugs since my beta release earlier this week. Unfortunately I didn't get any feedback so there may still be bugs and / or compatibility problems but I'm considering this finished. It's a pretty simple puzzle platformer where managing colours is the core mechanic. The game autosaves so if you quit, it will restart you back in the same spot the next time you play. Cheers!

Youtube Video

(Poor Youtube compression)

Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 04:38:31 AM »

Run perfectly on my computer (seven x64), and I really enjoyed playing it !
I hope a sequel, maybe a little more difficult :p
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:43:03 AM by Geoffrey » Logged

Ape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 09:45:20 PM »

Initially I liked the game play, art style, and music. Great animated background really adds life to the game. Reminicent of Braid.

However, I simply could not get used to the game play. I thought it was confusing and I never really fully understood how to organize the flames. I'm sure this can be made to be simpler for the player, without sacrificing how complex, challenging, and fun the puzzles could get. Consider adding another instruction sign above the first door.

Spectrum Boy ran very smooth on the Window 7 x64 computer I tried it on. Is Spectrum Boy rendered with OpenGL?
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:05:45 AM »

Works fine with wine on mac os x Smiley
Thanks to ghe i guess.
Game mechanics is very nice. Puzzles are not too difficult (at least yet), and not too easy.
I don't know if it's some artifact on mac, but character looks a little blurry,
while most other graphics is very crisp. Actually character, doors and do not cross line are blurry.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:42:24 AM »

It perfectly runs on my computer (another Seven 64 bit). It's very fun, compliments! I agree with previous comments, so I don't repeat. But one more thing: is it possible to play in fullscreen mode? However, again, compliments, it's so cool!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:30:10 AM by yaio » Logged

Epic Blueberry
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:05:19 AM »

Nice puzzle game. I really enjoyed playing it.
The music was also awesome.

The world is so much better!
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 08:24:24 AM »

Wow thanks for the comments guys! I'd almost forgotten about this thread since no-one's replied in so long. Some answers

Run perfectly on my computer (seven x64), and I really enjoyed playing it !
I hope a sequel, maybe a little more difficult :p

Thanks for being the first person to say something nice about my first game. Unfortunately there most likely won't be a sequel  Grin

Initially I liked the game play, art style, and music. Great animated background really adds life to the game. Reminicent of Braid.

However, I simply could not get used to the game play. I thought it was confusing and I never really fully understood how to organize the flames. I'm sure this can be made to be simpler for the player, without sacrificing how complex, challenging, and fun the puzzles could get. Consider adding another instruction sign above the first door.

Did you find the puzzles confusing or the mechanics confusing? I went for the minimalist approach regarding tutorials but here are all the rules in case you still don't understand the gameplay.

• You can only collide with objects of the same colour as your CURRENT flame. This includes beneficial objects such as bricks, as well as dangerous objects such as the cars. The exception is GREY which can always be collided with.
  • You can store a maximum of 3 flames at once. If you walk over additional flames you simply won't interact with them.
  • Pressing 'E' removes the current flame, replacing it with the previous one in your stack.
  • The key to solving the puzzles is to collect and remove the flames in the correct order.
  • To complete a room you need to collect all the baseballs.
  • To complete a floor you need to finish all the rooms. The lift activates which takes you up to the next floor.
  • Each floor introduces a new sub-mechanic.
    • Floor 1 = Introductory gameplay
    • Floor 2 = Enemies
    • Floor 3 = Teleporters
    • Floor 4 = Colour explosion

Spectrum Boy ran very smooth on the Window 7 x64 computer I tried it on. Is Spectrum Boy rendered with OpenGL?

To be honest with you I'm not sure about the underlying tech behind HGE. But that's the beauty of using an engine...you don't really need to know any low level stuff. I will plug it though and say that it was really straight forward to use.

Works fine with wine on mac os x Smiley
Thanks to ghe i guess.
Game mechanics is very nice. Puzzles are not too difficult (at least yet), and not too easy.
I don't know if it's some artifact on mac, but character looks a little blurry,
while most other graphics is very crisp. Actually character, doors and do not cross line are blurry.

Great to hear it works on the Mac!

As for the blurriness, that's not just you. I did all the art myself...but I simply could not do the character. So I searched for free sprite sheets and that was the only one I found that was both free and legal. I scaled, stretched and butchered it so that's why it doesn't look great...but hey you gotta work with what ya got right? The door...that was just laziness on my part. I created that image really early on with the intention of replacing it but in the end I just couldn't be bothered.

It perfectly runs on my computer (another Seven 64 bit). It's very fun, compliments! I agree with previous comments, so I don't repeat. But one more thing: is it possible to play in fullscreen mode? However, again, compliments, it's so cool!

Full screen yes! Open the following file...

Data\ConfigFiles\GameConfig.txt

And set the property WINDOWED_MODE = 0. That should do it

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:14:51 AM by G-Factor » Logged

Ataraxic
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:38:11 AM »

I have played this game, and it is fantastic.
mintpuffs.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:40:43 AM »

I loved this. ^^
Clever puzzles and the graphics and music were very nice as well.
Ataraxic
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 12:20:03 PM »

NOOO. I've found myself into a spot where I cannot escape!

This is after I learned splosions. I made my way around here using an explosion to turn the wall to my left into stairs, though, now I'm stuck. I cannot move right and the wall is too tall to jump over.
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 05:54:03 PM »

NOOO. I've found myself into a spot where I cannot escape!
This is after I learned splosions. I made my way around here using an explosion to turn the wall to my left into stairs, though, now I'm stuck. I cannot move right and the wall is too tall to jump over.

Ah!!! That's obviously a bug. You're all the first people to play this game and give me feedback so I apologize for stuff like this. You're not supposed to blast through that huge brick wall...that's not how you solve this puzzle. I'll fix the bug soon and re-upload the game. For now, if you just exit the game and restart it, it should start you back in the same room at the door.

Thanks for reporting this  Smiley

Ataraxic
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 08:34:11 PM »

Glad to help. I found something else:

This is in the same level area as the last one. You can use the red flame to cause the stairs to become red for 10 seconds. That is more than enough time to run back and grab the red flame again to be able to climb them and get the ball. I do not believe the puzzle was intended to be solved this way.
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »

Glad to help. I found something else:

This is in the same level area as the last one. You can use the red flame to cause the stairs to become red for 10 seconds. That is more than enough time to run back and grab the red flame again to be able to climb them and get the ball. I do not believe the puzzle was intended to be solved this way.

You're absolutely right, I'll try to fix that too! Excellent stuff buddy Grin

No bugs in the previous levels?

Ataraxic
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 08:22:09 AM »

You're absolutely right, I'll try to fix that too! Excellent stuff buddy Grin

No bugs in the previous levels?

I didn't find any.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic