Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411674 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 05:56:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe_Upside_Down_Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The_Upside_Down_Game  (Read 2309 times)
bequick
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »

10 level platformer game where your world is upside down...see more at http://www.kongregate.com/games/bequick/the-upside-down-game
bicilotti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:27:20 AM »

Nice idea, but a bit crude in its execution.

slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 05:52:00 AM »

Very trippy. I liked the cheesy storyline. The all powerful button!

I got as far as the level with the invisible blocks... That's just way too hard without any visual feedback. You have to find the platforms by trial and error and there isn't enough detail in the scene to remember where they are.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
bequick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:32:42 AM »

I know a lot of people complained about that level...just press SPACE+ENTER to skip it :D
kenesque
Level 1

mover of pixels

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 12:05:01 PM »

That was pretty much an exercise in lazy, frustrating game design. If that was your goal, bravo. Wasn't very fun or interesting, it just felt like every bad gimmick ever used in the universe.
SimonLarsen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 12:45:04 PM »

That was pretty much an exercise in lazy, frustrating game design. If that was your goal, bravo. Wasn't very fun or interesting, it just felt like every bad gimmick ever used in the universe.

Hey, have som class. There's criticism and there's being a douche bag.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »

That intro text made me rage like a grammar nazi.
Otherwise, good work. I'm hoping for many things from the sequel, including animated sprites, and even more crazy levels.
It should be called The_Sideways_Game.
bequick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 02:31:06 AM »

Hahaha.....great idea...i will give it a try :D
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »

Nice little game!
Level where some force pulls you is like WTF at first Smiley
Labbed
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 06:41:29 AM »

I walked left instead of right at the title screen. I was blocked, but then I jumped! I jumped over whatever was in my way, and I fell forever...

Same thing with the other rooms except that I died and got to restart.

The purpose of Hadoukens is to block other Hadoukens.
LabChirp! | SASOD!
bequick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 09:43:06 AM »

Yeah i see your point...but i did not think that anybody would go left.Thanks for the tip :D
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 02:42:17 AM »

Not great, but not horribly bad. I enjoyed the mechanic quite a bit. After a few levels though I barely noticed that I was upside down. Maybe in the sequel you can change it up a bit. Like some levels are upside down, some levels are sideways, some levels have weird gravity shifts, etc. Keep up the good work, I hope to see more from you Smiley
mirosurabu
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 05:34:44 AM »

I think these kinds of comments are killing the old good spirit of TIGSource ):

On-topic,
Solid first-timer, as you already know.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 11:10:34 PM »

I don't want to come off as harsh, but I really didn't think this game was good at all. You've started with a game mechanic which, frankly, seems to me to be inherently not fun. Then, in each level you introduce another inherently un-fun mechanic, creating a sort of museum of poor game design. Seriously, has anyone ever enjoyed a level featuring invisible blocks, or wind? Also, at a lower level, the player physics felt extremely clumsy, the jumping was unresponsive, and the hitboxes for the enemies were too big.

Nevertheless, well done for completing a game, and I hope you go on to make more in the future.

mirosurabu
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 11:46:46 PM »

The invisible blocks, yeah, I wouldn't call them fun either. It's a cheesy little touch ("What you see isn't what you get") but the problem is it's the type of challenge with no reward but a lot of frustration.

Hitboxes too. The 'bastards' level. Hitboxes should be much smaller.
bequick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 01:38:49 AM »

Yes a lot of people have complained about that level...but i didn't try to make it frustrating,i just wanted to something new in each level which will make it more fun but obliviously i failed in doing that...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic