Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 07:12:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDoes truth sound bitter?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Does truth sound bitter?  (Read 1664 times)
QXD-me
Level 0

Give me but a modicum of anything

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:39:32 AM »

Hi, you might remember me from such threads as... well, I forget, but the point is I'm fairly sure I posted around a tiny bit at some point.

I've finally managed to finish something after spending far more time procrastinating than working. I used graphics and music from the Assemblee compotition but programmed/designed by myself. I used art from dbb and Ixis and music by smgorden. I took the name from a poem, although I forget which one.

I started out with a bigger game in mind but kept scaling it back, so it's fairly minimalistic. It somehow ended up playing a bit like a 2D version of The Path, which wasn't my intention, but I don't really mind. Also, lots of things are editable via the text files in the resource folder, should you be so inclined.

Here are two (bland) screenshots and a download link. Enjoy. (On the off-chance that someone was waitng for a linix build, it's not comming any time soon, linux is too much of a pain for me to get it to work in, even though the code should be perfectly cross-platform)

Huzzah!  Panda

http://www.mediafire.com/?zum33m0sv67u4v4
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:25:53 PM by QXD-me » Logged
bicilotti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:23:44 AM »

A couple of things:

1- zlib1.dll is missing. It is prolly my PC/OS which are very old, but I feel you should put that file in the game folder, just in case.

2- The main character is slow! painfully! even slower than my first-game-very-slow-character! Can you make him a bit faster?

QXD-me
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:43:40 AM »

1.) Thanks for letting me know, I've updated the link to include that. It must have already been on my computer somewhere.

2.) I see your point although I think he seems both too fast and too slow at the same time. I'm trying to get SDL to compile on linux with codeblocks at the moment, but once that's done I'll see if I can make the movement more 'optimal'.

Thank you for the feedback  Smiley
bicilotti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »

2.) I see your point although I think he seems both too fast and too slow at the same time.

Sorry I didn't understand this, can you explain?

QXD-me
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 11:52:50 AM »

Essentially, I both feel like he moves slow enough to make it a bit boring. But also that he looks like he's moving too fast so it seems like he's moving far faster than a person should.
bicilotti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 11:59:05 AM »

Just imagine what would happen to Zelda if Link moved that slow...  Facepalm

QXD-me
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 12:14:16 PM »

She'd be about 90 when he reached her? Then again, Link's a busy guy with long long distances to travel. This man, on the other hand, seems to have plenty of time to wonder around, what appears to be, a cave, whilst thinking thoughts in the form of text/mini-graphics.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic