Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:38:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPost-mortem of my first commercial project - Rune Masters
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Post-mortem of my first commercial project - Rune Masters  (Read 1779 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »

http://codedaemons.com/rune-masters-post-mortem/

A few ppl were asking so I decided to write it

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 05:21:20 AM »

Were your artists getting paid? Or working for profit cuts?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 05:58:46 AM »

Thanks for writing this up! Sorry things didn't go better for you, but hopefully you've learned lots of stuff which will be useful for future projects.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »

Were your artists getting paid? Or working for profit cuts?
The latter

@beteleur: I guess I'm more experienced now and hope to not make the same mistakes twice, thanks Smiley

Eatingburger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:12:35 AM »

Why did the campaign being terribly designed force you to re-design your gameplay? You hadn't thought to include elements of progression at that point?

I made 2 small and pretty crappy to be honest (because of my collaborator’s attitude) flash games
Blaming bad work on your work partner with no evidence or reasoning to back it up seems pretty petty.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:22:07 AM by Eatingburger » Logged
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »

campaign's gameplay*

"because of my collaborator’s attitude" - he wanted them to be crappy

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:34:03 AM »

Nice of you to post this writeup, even when things went bad. Next project will be better, I'm sure.

I thought puzzle games (this case, match 3) had their fierce audience, but I was mistaken, obviously.

Good luck in the future. Smiley

Yeah.
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 05:38:02 AM »

thanks Smiley

Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »

Oh my, ANtY, a nice post mortem, well written. It would even be funny if it wasn't that tragic.

Funny thing is: I can see a lot of similarities with my current projects. I had projects I did music for which never got finished. So I spent great amount of time and finally nothing came of it. Also, we had some pretty strange people on our current project, Son of Nor, there's a lot of discussing going on in our private forums sometimes. So getting the right people is always key! And we also had a brilliant Polish concept artist that suddenly disappeared. His name was not Toxotes, lol, but he disappeared one day. No emails helped, he didn't update his DA profiles anymore, never seen on Skype again... He was sooooooo brilliant as an artist... Oh well. It cost us a lot of time but I think we got 2 new great concept artists on board to fill the gap. It set us back a few weeks, though.

But it's nice to read we're not the only ones. Sometimes I'd just like to take a hot bath and cry. Well. We indies have to stick together Wink Thanks for this great article, I really enjoyed it.

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 03:00:02 AM »

Hey, glad you liked it!

Yeah, it's always a shame when you spend a lot of your time on something and you like it a lot and because of someone else you can't finish it, worst feels in the world.

I forgot to write about it in the pm but there were a lot of artists willing to jump into the project with a lot of ideas and everything was great until they had to start actually doing anything, so yeah, random new ppl are in most of cases a bad idea.

So, the lesson is that to team up with the right ppl is the most important thing I guess.

And yes, sometimes communicating with other ppl that view things differently than you might be awful, depressing even.

And good luck with Son of Nor, I heard of it before (from this forum and RPS I think) and looks more than promising, also concept arts are awesome! Hoping to see this released at some point Smiley

Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 03:14:47 AM »

I forgot to write about it in the pm but there were a lot of artists willing to jump into the project with a lot of ideas and everything was great until they had to start actually doing anything, so yeah, random new ppl are in most of cases a bad idea.

I heard you brother. It's really interesting. It seems there are people out there that jump onto a driving car because they think they can just roll over the finishing line, doing nothing, but then reaping the fruits and be part of a great success. We certainly had our share of that Wink And we probably will continue having them. It's just a constant in the universe I guess. I'm happy we have the people we have, they stick with the project. Not everybody can commit a lot of time all the time, but they try hard and I appreciate that.

So, the lesson is that to team up with the right ppl is the most important thing I guess.

A very important learning we learned the hard way, too. And we're not immune to getting unmotivated people. We have to stay vigilant.

And good luck with Son of Nor, I heard of it before (from this forum and RPS I think) and looks more than promising, also concept arts are awesome! Hoping to see this released at some point Smiley

Thanks, yeah, finishing it is still a huge amount of work. But we try to keep at it. At least 2 people, me and the guy that started it all, are on the project almost full time. Living off of thin air at the moment. Smiley Thanks for the encouragement, we can use all we can get. We'll see how it goes.

Speak to you later, best, Chris

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic