Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 04:11:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessKeep in touch, contact who?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Keep in touch, contact who?  (Read 1139 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »

Ok, so I have come to the realization that I need to contact press and other people and keep in touch with them even before I have a demo out.

Having a PC FPS game with online gameplay and maybe an Android\iOS port, who do you think I should try to contact?
Should I actually contact with these people right now?
What about fellow indie devs?

The indie scene seems to become so big there are tons of websites and people I am unfamiliar with...

Master of all trades.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »

PixelProspector has a lot of good stuff on this:
Check out this guide: http://www.pixelprospector.com/how-to-contact-press

And then at the end of that, there're a whole bunch of links that go to big lists of game sites in different categories.
Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:25:21 PM »

+1 PixelProspector

I'm exchanging emails with Simon of PixelProspector from time to time and he's a really great and helpful guy. His whole website is really a goldmine of links. How to contact the press, where do I get music or voice-over from, what software can I use to do X, Y or Z and muuuuch much more. Have a look there, the linked guide is really comprehensive and easy to follow!

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 05:35:32 PM »

Lol, I'll throw a lot of money at anyone who can figure out the right people to keep in touch with. No easy answer to it. The PixelProspector article is really good though. I think every indie games studio actually needs a 'media/business guy', once you get your line-up of artist/coders/etc.

Personally, I'd say keep in touch with whoever you're already following. What games inspire your game? If you're making a roguelike, hang around a roguelike community for a while. Ask them things in regards to your game, put your game in your sig, etc. There are a lot of really niche communities of every kind. They're the best, because they'll actively look for your game, form your hardcore fan base, and promote it elsewhere.

I'm not really fond of 'big' developer sites, because they're a little too big. I mean, look at the front page of TIGS. That's a very high bar. A lot of people will just scroll past it if the graphics aren't impressive enough.

And it's just really good business sense to maintain good relations with everyone, especially fellow indie devs. If you put me in some foreign country, with no friends, not knowing the language, I'd build a business from scratch just by doing favors for people.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic