Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 11:01:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationdropTD [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: dropTD [FINISHED]  (Read 42008 times)
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 09:57:41 PM »

Reminds me of Rampart! (That's a good thing. Wink )

Morusque
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »

Ok, I'll probably make a procedural soundtrack, but not random.

I added a stuff so that you can see "where" are the files on the screen. Don't worry, it's only an option, the actual game is a little less messy.

Here is the current demo of the game :
http://www.nurykabe.com/stockage/dtd/application.zip
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »

Your source code makes for a weird level :D

increpare
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »

Woah that's a fun game!
Dodomaster
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 07:25:16 AM »

I like it, some sounds would be nice tho Wink
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 10:00:53 AM »

Holy crap, Nurykabe! I love your music! (especially what you did for Knytt Stories...)

Just had to say it. Kiss

jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 02:22:39 AM »

I'm lovin it!  yes, sounds please. I din;t know you was a music man., :0  lookin forward to hearing the final ver.,  Could you add a fullscreen option ?? humm,. i guess not with the file dragin' buisness,. . perhaps a double size option?  or in fullscreen it could just give you random 'towers' as tetris or rampart do,. . great any way!  it does indeed give me the rampart feeling trying to fit all the walls together and get the cannons in the fort. sweet Smiley

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
Morusque
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »

Oh, thank you.  Grin 
The music of this game won't have a lot of things to do with Knytt though.

Ok, so I added sound.
Please, note that there's still an important thing to fix : when you stop the game, it still displays the last sound loop, you'll have to remove it manually with the KillSounds.bat file. Sorry for this.

Here's the demo :
http://www.nurykabe.com/stockage/dtd/dtd.zip

The rhythm is based on the file that makes the level, and adding towers changes the notes.
The pattern is quite small, and it could become quickly annoying unless you like minimalist electro stuff.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:23:48 AM by Nurykabe » Logged
medieval
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 05:41:40 AM »

This is awesome.
Morusque
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 05:35:48 AM »

Ok, it's time for me to think about a final version of my game.

So I updated the current one :

http://www.nurykabe.com/stockage/dtd/dtd.zip

Please tell me if you see some stuff I could fix until next week (like bugs or english mistakes).  Roll Eyes

I would like to solve this sound stopping problem, but unfortunately I didn't find any way to.

I also reduced the difficulty. The game still appears easy to me, but I know it's only because my computer doesn't run it at the normal speed.

edit >> ok, let's say it's finished.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:00:33 PM by Nurykabe » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 07:23:14 PM »

Finally tried this out. I really like the drag-and-drop-files mechanic, it's highly intuitive. The Tetris-style tower placement plus the fact that sticking lots of tower next to eachother is good gives it a nice puzzle feel. The game did have big performance issues, and the whole "you must use another program to kill the sound" should really be fixed. I liked the clean vector visuals as well.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Morusque
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 02:17:26 PM »

Oh yeah, I like what you're saying. I've often been fascinated by the idea of feeding a program with datas, from any pool, and not necessarily as what they are supposed to be.
So much datas are travelling everywhere these days, most of it are useless, corrupted, obsolete, sometimes we don't even know from where they're coming from and what their purpose are.
I've heard of dudes who publish real-time pseudo-random datas on the internet, taken from nuclear measurements or stuffs that are supposed to be more "random" than seeds or timer methods.
I'm sure there are great ways to "recycle" the information flows.

My game is doing it at a very low level, because the amount of bytes needed is small and the results are not easily predictables.
I would like to try someday, for example, to take weather reports at a given place, and then turn it into a synthesizer, streching one year into the note's frequency, and temperatures into pressure oscillations.
This way of using datas would be more "pertinent" because I hope the cyclic nature of weather would garantee a certain periodicity in sounds, the controls could even be made of geographic displacements.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 03:42:46 PM by Nurykabe » Logged
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 01:56:40 AM »

I approve of this game.

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 04:01:02 AM »

Quite cool! I've got no knowledge of programming, so this seems like Freaky Computer Magic to me. The game responds so quickly to new files, and they are indeed the same every time they're used! Care to give a quick "For Dummies" explanation? I'm fascinated.
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »

I would like to try someday, for example, to take weather reports at a given place, and then turn it into a synthesizer, streching one year into the note's frequency, and temperatures into pressure oscillations.

You could use weather data to determine all sorts of game play elements. I'm picturing myself watching the weather report, then running to the computer to see how a heatwave in california affects gameplay. The trouble with too much randomness is you can't formulate strategies around it. Your game is very cool, but it boils down to trial and error to find which files give you the best cannons. I think you need to be able to detect and learn patterns in the input data. Imagine being stuck on some boss fight, and desperately waiting for it to rain on Moscow so you can get the powerup you need to beat it.

Quite cool! I've got no knowledge of programming, so this seems like Freaky Computer Magic to me. The game responds so quickly to new files, and they are indeed the same every time they're used! Care to give a quick "For Dummies" explanation? I'm fascinated.

At the very simplest, he could be reading the first 9 bytes of the file, then using those for the 9 squares of a cannon tile. If it's 0 to 100 you get a blank, 101-200 you get a grey brick, 201-255 you get some flavor of cannon.

The maze generation seems more complicated, but probably along the same lines. Use the byte values to determine whether to go straight, turn left, turn right, or stop.
Pure speculation Smiley
Morusque
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 04:21:19 AM »

Yep, that's right. In fact, it loads the entire files and then make them fit to usefull values with divisions, modulos and stuffs.

I also agree with the "too much randomness" sentence. Some people who tested it dropped pictures in the window, hoping that the blocs would ressemble to the picture shapes, which obviously never happened.

Making a game based on real-time weather would be really fun, yes. So far I didn't find any easy to use weather table though.
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 09:46:55 PM »

So so awesome.  It's all the fun of Barcode Warriors/Monster Rancher/whatever but in a sort of bite-sized form.  I feel like it needs a file browser that remembers what block configuration a file generates after you try it the first time, then displays an image of that configuration next to the file from then on... and maybe an easy way to move files that you like to a "library" folder for easier reference.  Anything that would make it easier to be strategic with your files would be welcome.

+15 bonus points for doing the whole thing in Processing and puredata.  That is pretty bad ass.
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 06:05:56 PM »

Ye got a vote from me :D

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 09:05:52 PM »

A vote from me, too. I'd love to see this developed further, maybe into a proper TD game with multiple tower types and all that. Just a little more depth could turn this game into a real winner.
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »

My vote has been cast... for you!

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic