Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 12:36:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioKeeping those ideas.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Keeping those ideas.  (Read 2622 times)
Biggerfish
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:34:15 AM »

I'm sure it's happened to most people, you have that time where you get a kickass song playing in your head, whether it's a catchy melody or a full on improvised symphonic rock masterpiece. You have the song sounding strong in your head, all the parts going at once, if you could just copy and paste it from your head into your DAW you'd have a brilliant song.

Too bad you're in the shower at a friends place, 30km's from your broken computer.

What are some techniques you can use to get that song out of your head in that little while it's going full force, somewhere you can at least rememeber what your were thinking before it gets messed up by others songs, sounds and ideas. Hell, just in general, what are some tips for getting a song down somewhere so it doesn't get forgotten in the process of writing or transposing it?

Lucky for me I have a keyboard that record what I play, so there's an easy way for me to quickly store any melody ideas I have. Rhythms I find that I can tap out until it's stuck in my head and memorising them is a good way to keep it fresh. I still have the problem of losing ideas when I hear another song or sit down and start to put stuff in.

So what are some other tips to stop the ideas falling out your ears?
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »

Just contantly think about it, I guess.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:31:05 AM »

Carry a tape recorder and practice humming or whistling the tune into it. A capella it until you get to a proper recording or composing implement.

I have no idea if that would work.

Currently brainstorming for a project
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:09:46 AM »

Happened to me once in bed... but I was about to sleep, so I couldn't bother getting up and composing Sad
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »

I once had an idea for a song that I didn't want to forget about on the bus home from school, so I blocked everything else out and played the song in my head all of the way home. It was over 10 years ago, but I remember it to this day.

These days I have a portable recorder, but I don't really carry it around with me often enough for it to be useful for that. In a pinch, I could always record an idea on my phone, I guess.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 04:25:10 PM »

I actually don't make music, but I love making little ditties and themes and songs while working on my game ideas. They are usually pretty good, but I never have found a way to make them.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 04:28:52 PM »

Damn, I experience this every day of my life. It's almost heart breaking when I completely forget that awesome melody I'd thought up earlier in the day.

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 04:38:15 PM »

Damn, I experience this every day of my life. It's almost heart breaking when I completely forget that awesome melody I'd thought up earlier in the day.
I know how you feel. By the way, you have the best name ever.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 06:09:07 PM »

I know how you feel. By the way, you have the best name ever.
I agree.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Biggerfish
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 07:18:07 PM »

Carry a tape recorder and practice humming or whistling the tune into it. A capella it until you get to a proper recording or composing implement.

I have no idea if that would work.
If it's just a melody and I'm near my keyboard it's the same thing as recording it, with the added bonus of being able to get any sound you can make with your mouth / surroundings.

For times like that it helps to be able to sing the melody out in sol-fa so you don't have to remember how it sounds as much as a bunch of short words to tell you how it sounds. Alternatively you can attempt to transpose it straight from you head onto somewhere so you don't need to remember. The downside to this is that it's very hard and takes a lot of practise before you're able to write it straight out without something to check with.

Sort of related, but do people find they get the best melodies and improvisations while in the shower? Pretty much every day without fail, when I'm in the shower I get a bitching song playing in my head, most parts as well, but since I shower before bed or late at night, never convert it into an idea. It also happens that once I leave the bathroom and try to start recording the idea fades fast.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 09:52:16 PM »

Voice recorder. Either hum the melody or play it on a piano or whichever instrument. It's what I've done so far.

Kekskiller
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »

I avoid thinking about music in general. That's simply the most effective way.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic