Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411731 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: Sergei

May 22, 2024, 02:08:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioString sounds from Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: String sounds from Zelda: Ocarina of Time  (Read 5302 times)
Kekskiller
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:33:55 AM »

Hey fellows,

I listened to my Zelda: Ocarina of Time soundtrack once again and wondered how Koji Kondo achieved his awesome string sounds. You know, the first parts in "Kokiri forest" or several other tunes. It's not only the string sound, I would like to get into orchestral synthesis for my game. I was always stunned by how well Kondo did it the two N64 Zelda games. I'm not sure whether the sounds are synthesized or sampled. It sounds like a quality MIDI synth or antialiased sampler for me...

Does anyone know how to synthesize such strings? I want to recreate them on my DS-10, so there are lots of possibilities for me to synth 'em Gentleman
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 08:16:39 AM »

So...the very beginning part that isn't pizzicato? It just sounds like straightforward wavetable MIDI to me (all of it does, actually). You can probably get sounds like that from a soft synth.

rogerlevy
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 12:05:45 PM »

It's just basic General MIDI.  Nothing noteworthy.  I read somewhere that to save space most music on the N64 used samples stored in a table in ROM on the console, which couldn't have been very large, maybe no more than 2MB.  So the strings in OOT are probably the same ones used in Super Mario 64 and Starfox 64.   Yawn
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »

Not that this answers the question of how to synthesize them, but you can download the Ocarina of Time soundfont here:
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/soundfont.html
Kekskiller
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 11:25:27 PM »

Not that this answers the question of how to synthesize them,

Sad

but you can download the Ocarina of Time soundfont here:
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/soundfont.html

Hand Shake LeftGrin:handshakeR:
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic