Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58440 Members - Latest Member: WebMobril5645

May 02, 2024, 09:14:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA silly little RPG about a couple wishful monsters [dead topic]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: A silly little RPG about a couple wishful monsters [dead topic]  (Read 4643 times)
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 11:34:55 AM »

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
midoredomi
Level 0

Uhh

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 05:50:04 AM »

oh my, the character design looks lovely
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »

oh my, the character design looks lovely

Thank you!! December, the main character, has been a labor of love (and pain) for almost a year. I finally finalized her design back at the end of November, and now I'm putting the game together :D

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Mahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »

Very pretty character design, looking forward to hear more. What do you have in mind for a RPG/Platforming hybrid? Are these going to be separated (like, platforming for battles, top-down for maps) or intertwined? Either way I'm intrigued Smiley
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 04:21:15 PM »

Very pretty character design, looking forward to hear more. What do you have in mind for a RPG/Platforming hybrid? Are these going to be separated (like, platforming for battles, top-down for maps) or intertwined? Either way I'm intrigued Smiley

Thank you so much!

I will try to explain the relationship between top-down and platforming through the demo. It's kind of difficult to explain a system that doesn't really exist yet. What I hope to achieve is a seamless blend of different little games that add to the characters and the world over the course of the greater storyline. I'm taking a lot of influence from Undertale, so if you're familiar with it just think of all the things you do that aren't combat. Otherwise I hope to have an early prototype out next month which should start to make my game design a bit more clear.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »

It's not much but I got December's idle sprites into the engine now. Next I need to make walking animations and put those in, and I'll be well on my way to... having December walking around and then idling!

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Mahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »

Did you consider that you may need two sets of sprites? Looking at Decembers idle posse there, the platforming side scrolling sections are gonna need different sprites altogether, which I guess is going to be a ton of work.

Perhaps what you could do is have the top-down sections have a different angle, less like Undertale and more like maybe Sonic Battle, where characters moved in a 3D area but their sprites would work mostly fine in a side scrolling perspective. Dunno, just a random thought.
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 06:29:40 PM »

Did you consider that you may need two sets of sprites? Looking at Decembers idle posse there, the platforming side scrolling sections are gonna need different sprites altogether, which I guess is going to be a ton of work.

Perhaps what you could do is have the top-down sections have a different angle, less like Undertale and more like maybe Sonic Battle, where characters moved in a 3D area but their sprites would work mostly fine in a side scrolling perspective. Dunno, just a random thought.

I'm aware that I need to do a separate set of sprites for sidescrolling. I already have a mockup of that, though some things will be changing.

Most of my more detailed animations will be in the sidescrolling part of the game. Going with the Undertale reference, think of my top-down like Undertale's top-down, and my sidescrolling like Undertale's battle system. The animations in top-down will be much simpler. I can generally do one set of animations per character per day. So walking in all 4 directions top-down for December will take me roughly a day. I'm estimating I'll finish the game in about 3 years.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Mahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »

Ah you are more ahead than I thought, rock on then Smiley That side scrolling sprite is looking pretty too, looking forward to see more.
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 02:25:41 PM »

Ah you are more ahead than I thought, rock on then Smiley That side scrolling sprite is looking pretty too, looking forward to see more.

I'm about a year into design, iteration, failure, reiteration, more failure, and salvaging the greatest of my sea of ideas into a new, focused project with a clear goal and cute monsters Smiley

I just started serious production on the game earlier this month, hence the brand new topic, but the planning is pretty far along.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 02:34:27 PM by eidobunny » Logged

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
smokesomefrogs
Level 1

Small German Indie Game Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 02:55:18 PM »

I love the style of the sprite :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:02:07 PM by smokesomefrogs » Logged

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »

I love the style of the sprite :D

Thank you :D

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »

Lovely sprites!
(Also, please do bother me if you'll ever need help with the plot/dialogues/anything writing related.)

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 08:45:58 AM »

Lovely sprites!
(Also, please do bother me if you'll ever need help with the plot/dialogues/anything writing related.)

Thanks!

I'm horrified at the idea of spoiling some of the deeper parts of the story, but once playtesting begins you can let me know what you think of the writing and if you have any suggestions!!

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »

Guess she has somewhere to be.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
midoredomi
Level 0

Uhh

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 08:05:17 PM »

that's some serious cowlick flapping right there, it looks as though it's trying to come off of her head  Tongue
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 11:06:07 PM »

lol I'll probably have to tone it down. The animation in-game is faster so it looks even more ridiculous.

EDIT: Actually it looks better sped up, but maybe I'll tone it down anyway
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:09:26 AM by eidobunny » Logged

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 06:38:56 AM »

Hey there!
Your project seems very promising. Like everybody else said, I really liked your art. And I can't wait to see how you'll make the side scrolling/top-down bending.

My devlog:     My twitter:
Private Party      twitter
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »

Hey there!
Your project seems very promising. Like everybody else said, I really liked your art. And I can't wait to see how you'll make the side scrolling/top-down bending.

Thank you so much!

I dialed the hair bob back a little bit, too.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »

Made some additional adjustments, I like the feel now.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic