Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411642 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 06:22:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 906603 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7440 on: September 26, 2015, 04:35:55 PM »

Oh also despite its age, SS1 still manages to be atmospheric and immersive, just like SS2. Those narrow winding corridors and tiny rooms everywhere do a great job at inducing a feeling of paranoia (tho it has to be said, the 2nd game is even better at that). honestly the biggest mistake in bioshock was going from that to setpiece arena fights. Soundtrack is dope too and i like the color choices for the environments (enemy sprites look like ass tho).

oh also this game is *trve kvlt 3D* unlike doom's 2d heightmap. Ofc this also makes it much slower to play because like i said, awkward pre-mouselook interface. You actually have to click in a panel to look up and down.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 04:53:00 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: September 26, 2015, 04:40:43 PM »

Well that's where the audiolog thingy come from, the shock's series.

Btw, fun fact: the first two elder scrolls games were basically ultima underworld (also by looking glass) with a lot more content. bethesda even copied the interface verbatim.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: September 26, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »

SS has the honour of being the only first person shooter to give me motion sickness which is one of the reason why I prefer the sequel. The combination of hideous textures, a framerate lower than sixty* and controlling a character who has a spring for a neck really does me in, I can't take more than twenty minutes before I have to take a break.

*I don't have that problem with DooM if you were wondering.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: September 26, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »

oh also this game is *trve kvlt 3D* unlike doom's 2d heightmap. Ofc this also makes it much slower to play because like i said, awkward pre-mouselook interface. You actually have to click in a panel to look up and down.

Actually no, it's a heightmap like tomb raider 1, you can't have room on top of each other. Delver use it. Basically it's an array of value with ceiling + floor height, and slope data for each. I would argue is closer to true 3D because no tiling and direct shapes.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: September 26, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »

SS has the honour of being the only first person shooter to give me motion sickness which is one of the reason why I prefer the sequel. The combination of hideous textures, a framerate lower than sixty* and controlling a character who has a spring for a neck really does me in, I can't take more than twenty minutes before I have to take a break.

*I don't have that problem with DooM if you were wondering.

i have never gotten motion sickness from any game ever. i get a weird vertigo-like feeling from top down 3d games with a lot of verticality sometimes tho. thankfully top down is not a very popular perspective, especially for 3d games, so i rarely have to deal with it.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7445 on: September 26, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »

Getting farther in The Real Texas. I've just gone through Garbadge Mine, and although the bats were pretty obnoxious at first, I found a way to make them a lot less threatening. The tiki traps were more of a problem, but it turns out I was also dealing with them the wrong way.

Combat is definitely the weakest point of the game. It's pretty heavy on positive feedback loops, where if you take one hit, it makes it way more likely you'll keep on getting hit and die. I think I might enjoy it more if everything were a one-hit kill, because getting stunned is more frustrating than just dying.

Now I have to figure out where/how I can plant carrot seeds...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: September 27, 2015, 01:23:52 AM »

Actually no, it's a heightmap like tomb raider 1, you can't have room on top of each other. Delver use it. Basically it's an array of value with ceiling + floor height, and slope data for each. I would argue is closer to true 3D because no tiling and direct shapes.

i could have sworn there were rooms on top of other rooms in system shock. there are definitely objects on top of other objects tho. there are bridges over rooms for instance which don't exist in doom

also delver is another ultima underworld-like so it makes sense that it would use the same system
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:30:32 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: September 27, 2015, 02:23:01 AM »

another thing about system shock i just discovered: not only can you take notes on your minimap (kinda necessary seeing as how complex the levels are) you can also see them ingame as green wireframe pyramids. insane how many features this game has that would only become commonplace much later.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:33:17 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: September 27, 2015, 02:35:40 AM »

System Shock is true 3D, if it wasn't then the Cyberspace aspect would have to have been different than what it is.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: September 27, 2015, 07:54:16 AM »

also impressive how almost no modern FPS/RPG hybrids do things system shock didn't already do in 94. it's like the entire genre is already fully formed in this gam, all later games did was streamline and improve (or remove) certain aspects.

it's also one of the earliest games with a player "respawn" mechanic ive played, but it's probably not the first lol.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: September 27, 2015, 12:35:40 PM »

i could have sworn there were rooms on top of other rooms in system shock. there are definitely objects on top of other objects tho. there are bridges over rooms for instance which don't exist in doom

also delver is another ultima underworld-like so it makes sense that it would use the same system

I think they use special tile for bridge, megaman legend use the same system. Objects (meshes) are separate problem from the map itself (you can have mesh that tries to pass as "map" object, like platform). And there is an inordinate amount of trickery to create illusion too. I should look for the level, I just verified into the source data (I looked at it when delver said that). https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=2073.0

What's true 3D is arguable, Is it the storage, the presentation, the data? I said doom map was "more 3D" simply because it's mostly vectorial as storage and data (effectively storing xyz). System shock use tile array as storage and data (xyz of vertices are implied). Both are true 3D once rendered.

But that's pointless semantique for you and splitting hair. It's literally bullshit (from a literal and non contextual perspective) I'm spouting now and should not be taken TOO seriously, outside the description (if I'm not wrong on the details, never implemented them). This disclaimer is important for people who are too serioused Shrug

/geeking

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: September 27, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »

but in actual gameplay terms SS1 is more 3d. doom has very little meaningful interaction on the z axis. Tongue

OK ENOUGH OF THIS

anyway the level design in this game is excellent. shame the enemy AI is so broken tho.

sorry for gushing but i just wouldn't have expected to actually enjoy some oldass DOS game that much. usually i just check these gams out to see what they were like and then put them down again. but SS1 has actually captivated me and im still playing. currently on the 2nd level (science deck?).
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: September 27, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »

You did won though, z axis took the helm Sad

@enjoyment
Says the guy who enjoy roguelike's asscii

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: September 27, 2015, 04:09:47 PM »

yea but i grew up with those, so its not a problem. im not sure if i even played videogames in 94 and my family didnt have a computer until like 2002. besides i kinda stopped playing the super inaccessible roguelikes like nethack and ADOM. the main roguelike i play these days (dungeon crawl stone soup) has a decent mouse interface.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: September 28, 2015, 02:53:11 AM »

Undertale has some great boss fights - the progression of the enemy attacks is fantastic. The music is great all around. Lots of hilarious moments and fourth-wall breaking creepiness, and an overarching message of power of friendship and kindness. Lots of little secrets to discover. It's pretty deserving of all the praise it is getting.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7455 on: September 28, 2015, 03:04:46 AM »

go to undertale thread you hoodlungs Hand Shake Left Apoplectic
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: September 28, 2015, 06:10:46 AM »

Finally found the couch co-op game I've been looking for. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. So fun!!
JWK5
« Reply #7457 on: September 28, 2015, 01:49:29 PM »

I am taking the plunge... downloading Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires for the PS3. It was cheap and I've yet to play a DW game (though I did really like the Kessen games for the PS2) so I figured I'd give it a go. I've heard it is a mixed bag and a lot of mindless hack-and-lash, but sometimes mindless hack-and-slash (or similarly basic repetitive gameplay) is good for when you're up with late night bouts of insomnia.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: September 28, 2015, 01:51:37 PM »

the games get deeper when u play them on higher difficulties apparently. theyre also fun co-op gams.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7459 on: September 29, 2015, 12:32:29 AM »

Right? As soon as I'm not cripplingly broke, Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime and Undertale are on my must-fap-to list.

Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic