Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 08:25:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioSoundscapes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Soundscapes  (Read 1084 times)
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:50:59 AM »

Im attending a Sound course in school this semester.
Assignment 1 was to make an audio file using only sounds and noises.
I had to use 2 of 6 types of noise.

The theme was "Futuristic Ideals"
I made a zombie apoclypse themed soundscape, you can listen via the link below.

Zombie MADT Audio Track
Leave any comments of what you think, I've never made one of these before.

TYPES OF NOISE
Apparently these are the different categories of noises.

Rumbles
Roars
Explosions
Crashes
Splashes
Booms

Whistles
Hisses
Snorts

Whispers
Murmurs
Mumbles
Grumbles
Gurgles

Screeches
Creaks
Rumbles
Buzzes
Crackles
Scrapes    

Noises obtained by percussion on metal, wood, skin, stone, tarracotta, etc.    

Voices of animals and men:
Shouts
Screams
Groans
Shrieks
Howls
Laughs
Weezes
Sobs
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:42:42 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »

i like soundscapes but it seems as if there are things which don't fall into those categories. for instance, what about the sound of rain? or the sound of ocean waves? where would they fall under?

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 09:57:19 AM »

I didn't make the categories, I just copy and pasted them from the website my teacher sent me to.
(beware of the terrible red background and black font)

http://www.unknown.nu/futurism/noises.html

But if I was to categorize them I would place them with Percussion since it's a sound that only occurs via collision based on what it hits, metal, wood, cement, ground.
Rain makes noise when it hits the ground, not when it's in the air.
Water makes noise when it moves around and splashes on it's self.

Though I guess water in any form such as; body of water, or drop of water would be covered by "Splashes"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:05:14 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »

Maybe it's under "hisses," just any continuous 1kHz+ ambiance.

leonelc29
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »

hey, it's the same assignment that given to me 3 year ago Shocked

it really nice, but the duration for walking at the front half is long and he seems very calm while there's zombie around him(at 1.03 to 1.30). i don't understand why after he say something(at about 1.30), fired a round, then run.

i do like the ambient sound for the walking part, like how the fire fade in and fade out and the dog bark is panned, it almost like i'm there, or i'm that person, which i believe is something you wan. and i also like the last part, it's really creepy Crazy
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »

Really? The same assignment, neat. :B
Do you have the audio file still?

Hey thanks for the crit, I do agree with you the walking at the beginning is a bit extended.
Trying to think of what other sounds I could squeeze in there, maybe some rats squeaking I couldn't manage to find a sound for newspaper blowing in the wind or I would have used that.

As for the first zombie interaction, I kind of imagined it like he saw the zombie coming, and just stopped to take aim at the zombie and let it get a bit closer.

After the gun shot I figured someone would want to get away from where ever the shot was fired. I know I wouldn't stick around if I just shot a gun in the Apocalypse.
Also the running, and adrenaline of shooting someone is what helps the heartbeat seem a bit more plausible.

But yea I was really aiming for a very first person experience so I'm happy I somewhat achieved that.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 04:34:02 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

leonelc29
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 08:36:31 PM »

i don't think i still have the audio file as the old computer's harddisk i edit and store in gone haywire. might have to salvage from that disk. it's about consequence of vandalism, which the 2 guy end up being caught.

you might get a good mark with this one, and i think the listener can get better experience if he/she is wearing a headphone.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:23:48 PM »

I disagree with Leonelc about the time dedicated to footsteps in the first minute.

I think it appropriately matches my own (over the top heroic, comic book) response to that situation.  Without knowing what any of those sounds mean why would I assume they were the product of some undead man-beast?

On the other hand I don't like the children sounds at all.  They just don't fit my personal perception of the environment.  If you were telling a story through only your sounds you only brought the demon children in in the last chapter with no foreshadowing.  I did hear a door open before the child voices showed up, along with the (fantastic) gore noises, but there was no hinting at that as a finale, no build up to it, no suspense for the listener.

Given what you had to work with though it was a lot of fun to listen to.  I enjoyed it and again, these are personal opinions.  I don't have any kind of professional experience in audio editing so take as you will.
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 10:31:10 AM »

Thanks Leonelc.

@oyog
I was using the first minute to really immerse the person trying to sync up their breathing to get a good sense of where they are.

Your in a city, you jump a fence and begin to enter a random home; you don't know whats inside the laughter and the footsteps is my foreshadowing. It foreshadows that the character is in in trouble.

I added a few more sounds to the beginning, made a creepy cat part.
- Streetlight buzzing
- The first zombie gets more foreshadowing with the kitty
- There is more of a struggle at the end now, with some crashes and a fail to reload the shotgun.
http://soundcloud.com/punkythepenguin/madt-proj1-futuristic-ideals

Here is the final touched up version.

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic