Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411584 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:55:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Cinder is now live
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Cinder is now live  (Read 5178 times)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:58:07 PM »

LibCinder, The Barbarian Group's open source C++ library for creative coding and Robert Hodgin's weapon of choice just went live.

http://libcinder.org/

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:21:34 PM »

Thanks for the announce, I've been looking forward to this.

c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »

Whoa awesome! Perhaps I shall be moving on from SDL soon...

MrGando
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:29:09 PM »

This is beautiful,

I will try this library to make a University Project of making some augmented reality stuff this semester.

Can you apply OpenGL transforms easily with Cinder ?

( was going to go for SDL , but I don't see why I couldn't go for something new )  Beer!

Lead Programmer
Gando Games
Twitter
Zaphos
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:54:50 PM »

This looks quite nice Smiley

Can you apply OpenGL transforms easily with Cinder ?
Looks like there are a bunch of convenience functions for doing so, and of course you can still call the standard gl* functions, so, yes, I think so.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:20:47 PM »

So this is basically something like Processing, but in C++?

Interesting. This library just may get me into C++. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:28:10 PM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 03:01:33 AM »

This looks neat. Though I can't help but remark that C++, with its rigid edit-compile-link-run cycle and dog-slow compilation times, wouldn't be my first choice for what they call "creative coding". Fast, if possible even instantaneous feedback is what you want when you do this kind of experimentation.
MrGando
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 04:38:21 AM »

Yeah, it's something like processing but in C++, I don't know if it's the best thing to prototype games though, but still it shows a lot of power, different thing than SDL ( if we are talking about games here ).

What do you guys think about this for game prototyping ?

Lead Programmer
Gando Games
Twitter
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:30:44 AM »

Made to enhance C++ creativity and not available for Linux?
This is excrement of a male cow.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 08:17:18 AM »

This looks cool but kind of mystifies me that it wouldn't *use* SDL in the first place, hemmm... At any rate I was going to look at this but if it's not for linux that's kind of a deal killer for me. Still, this looks cool.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 08:24:10 AM »

Linux support is most likely coming. Platform availability is actually one of their priorities.

Remember it's their first release.
Zaphos
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »

This looks neat. Though I can't help but remark that C++, with its rigid edit-compile-link-run cycle and dog-slow compilation times, wouldn't be my first choice for what they call "creative coding". Fast, if possible even instantaneous feedback is what you want when you do this kind of experimentation.
Well, the group that made it also loves processing, which is in Java and has the properties you want.  But sometimes they needed to use C++ (apparently for music visualizer plugins) and so they wanted something similar to exist in C++.  They explain their thinking here: http://www.barbariangroup.com/posts/5484-cinder
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »

..not available for Linux?

I despise the typical Linux fanboy's insecurity and holier-than-thou attitude--I really do.

Hey, have you considered that perhaps they just released this and don't have any Linux developers on their team? Perhaps you should go do something more useful than ripping on free, open source software for daring to not support your OS of choice right off the bat. Maybe you could, I don't know, actually contribute and help make a Linux port?

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »

..not available for Linux?

I despise the typical Linux fanboy's insecurity and holier-than-thou attitude--I really do.

Hey, have you considered that perhaps they just released this and don't have any Linux developers on their team? Perhaps you should go do something more useful than ripping on free, open source software for daring to not support your OS of choice right off the bat. Maybe you could, I don't know, actually contribute and help make a Linux port?
I actually use Mac a lot more than Linux.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »

So you have even less to justify your attitude than I had originally thought.

I'll just consider myself trolled and go on with my day...

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »

I still consider Linux the ultimate programming environment (and Mac comes close, sharing so many similarities thanks to their common UNIX base, so that's why I have no problem using it almost exclusively; but I have two computers, and one runs Linux and one is a Mac).

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 01:17:07 PM »

I still consider Linux the ultimate programming environment (and Mac comes close, sharing so many similarities thanks to their common UNIX base, so that's why I have no problem using it almost exclusively; but I have two computers, and one runs Linux and one is a Mac).

"Wooosh" - the sound of arguments going over your head Wink Seriously, join 'em and help with a Linux port. I know I'd love for it to be ported.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
tapir
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 10:16:40 AM »

I, too, wish they used SDL for cross-platform window and input stuff. It would be easier to port it to other platforms. But from what I see they prefer non-(L)GPL licensed 3rd party libraries, that would explain their choice.
Indievelopper
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 01:26:21 PM »

Using SDL?

Well, i don't see why anyone would use SDL when librarys like SFML has been released, but... Using SDL as a "base" looks really weird to me, especially considering that fact that it's 10 time slower for certain operations than other library(yeah, still talking about SFML).

Weird. Take something slow and make it slower. Weird.
tapir
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »

Using SDL?

Well, i don't see why anyone would use SDL when librarys like SFML has been released, but... Using SDL as a "base" looks really weird to me, especially considering that fact that it's 10 time slower for certain operations than other library(yeah, still talking about SFML).

Weird. Take something slow and make it slower. Weird.

I'm sorry but you absolutely have no idea about what you're talking. SFML uses OpenGL for its 2D stuff whereas SDL is purely software based. That's probably what makes you think that SFML is faster. FYI, you can use OpenGL with SDL too.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic