Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 02:17:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRush to Adventure
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Rush to Adventure  (Read 12097 times)
OhMyNugget
Level 0

I make some youtube videos now and again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »

Magnus when you release another version with more content let me know, i'd loved to play through it again Smiley
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 10:38:11 AM »

Blaze06h:
Thanks Smiley It's a bit outside of my comfort zone. This was probably the easiest background to do. I am still thinking about how to do the others. This one is also not done yet as I want to generate different looking ones and add some parallax effects.

OhMyNugget:
Thanks, will do Smiley Not sure when that will be. I am slowly working on the backgrounds and my new level editor. Then I got a big list of things for improving the game itself.

Follow me on Twitter @M_Esko
mrBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 01:09:29 PM »

I'm loving what I see, but wish that the game looked a bit better.

Any chance of re-releasing the game with updated art?

The game looks great as is, however.

Dev Log: Lejendary Dev Log
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 11:12:25 PM »

Hey, you've got a pretty solid game here. I can see it's still in the works, but the level of polish is quite nice.

Some thoughts:

• The music is great! Really like this aspect of the game. You should consider releasing it as a separate soundtrack when the game is done.
  • For the forest levels, the green background can make it a little difficult to see the foreground enemies, especially with the green turtles, green mushrooms, and plants. Perhaps adding some kind of texture or pattern to the background?
  • I can't really tell if it's there, but have you thought of adding a smoothing function of some sort to the jump movement? It feels a little stiff (perhaps that's intentional), but I'd personally love it if there could be a little bounce after you land, or a small crouch just before you leap. Those would be nice touches.

Anyway, great job on the game. Looking forward to future developments.  Beer!

Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »

Thanks guys Smiley

mrBlack:
I am at my graphical limit. Unless I devote a whole lot more time on improving the art. Which I currently do not have. I would love to work with a good pixel artist. That's more likely to happen on my next project, at least that's what I am currently planning. What that next project will be depends on the success of this one.

WillyChyr:
You can already buy the soundtrack. There's a clickable link to it in the credits. Chris have kindly offered me to use his amazing music in my game.

In the forest levels. Are you referring to the actual background or the bushes? The background will receive a change. I might sill alter the color of the bushes, nothing is final.

I want the jump to be instant, so no initiating crouch. But perhaps on the landing. That could look nice. It's not common for this type of game but I'll look into it. There are other gameplay tweaks coming in the alpha as well.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 06:29:05 PM »

In the forest levels. Are you referring to the actual background or the bushes? The background will receive a change. I might sill alter the color of the bushes, nothing is final.

Looking at it again, it's the color of the bushes. Right now, it's just a little too close to the color of the green turtles. If you're scanning the scene quickly, you can miss them.

Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 08:47:13 AM »

level editor.
Woah! Level editor! Now this is what I was looking for, a big leap.
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 02:00:37 PM »

WillyChyr:
I have tried to alter the colors of the bushes, but it's hard to get them right and still look like bushes.

Blaze06h:
I plan to include the editor with the PC and Mac versions. It's quite good looking and easy to use. Just not fully working yet. I have a simple editor already that I've used to create the current levels. But I want something more powerful. I have considered a cross platform level sharing and rating feature. Perhaps as a stretchgoal for crowdfunding. But this project needs far more interest before I attempt crowdfunding it to boost development.

Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 01:47:18 AM »

I haven't had a lot of time to work on RTA the last couple of weeks, a few hours every weekend. I have finally completed the new editor and will start working on towards the alpha. I got a long list of updates and I am looking forward to getting everything working. Here are some shots to show off what the editor can do.

Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2013, 12:41:05 AM »

Whoah! It's... it's.. beautiful! :')
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »

Thanks! Maybe not exactly the response I was expecting Smiley
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:00:06 AM by Digital Awakening » Logged

Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 01:00:49 AM »

Here's a look at the new tower background. I think it turned out quite nice. Still have 2 more backgrounds to go. I think I know how I want to do the cave but not sure on the forest.

I started working on the alpha this week. The coins bob up and down and when you touch them they fly up and fade away. Water and lava are now animated. I have increased the movement speed by 15%, so the game feels a little less sluggish. I have also increased the jumping power (and gravity) so you now jump 1 tile higher and 1 tile longer. This is manly to increase the possibilitis for level design. Should also make the jump feel less floaty. Enemies are now slowed slightly on hit, depending on the weight of your sword. Blocking melee attacks with the (upcoming) iron shield also slows the enemy.

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »

I just played the PC version and it's pretty sweet!

I agree with everyone that the music is great and that the art is cool too. I love games with switchable gear as well as action platformers, so this is right up my alley.

I found it to be surprisingly difficult, specifically due to the range of my attack. I noticed it doesn't quite match the space that enemies move, which makes for me awkwardly trying to space myself close enough to hit them in the small window before they would move towards me. This would be more fun if it wasn't for the stiff movement which makes it hard to precisely space myself and get away quickly.

Regardless, I enjoyed playing it and look forward to the full alpha!
Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 11:24:21 PM »

I found it to be surprisingly difficult, specifically due to the range of my attack. I noticed it doesn't quite match the space that enemies move, which makes for me awkwardly trying to space myself close enough to hit them in the small window before they would move towards me. This would be more fun if it wasn't for the stiff movement which makes it hard to precisely space myself and get away quickly.
Totally agreed. Maybe make him move a bit forward when he attacks with his sword(it happens in many games), it would be better. Or atleast make the range longer.
Other than that, a run button would be cool, or make him increase his speed if you hold a direction button.
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 12:01:47 AM »

8Points:
Thanks Smiley

This game is pretty much about landing precise hits and avoid getting hit. Once you get the timing right it's not so hard. You can also attack most of the current enemies safely from behind. The speed of the enemies changes depending on the difficulty and I balance the game on hard. The attack range is also slightly longer than your sword.

Having S-ranked every level on hard, playing on normal is no challenge for me. I sometimes pull off some cool jumping stunts on hard. I really enjoy those moments and I don't want to change that. The current gameplay has a certain depth to it that other games doesn't have.

With stiff movement do you mean the lack of acceleration/deceleration or the movement speed? The precise movement something I prefer. Like with all platformers, you need to play a little to get used to the controls. The movement speed has already been increased for the alpha.

Blaze06h:
If he moved forward while hitting you would get further into the range of the enemy you are trying to hit. For example: The red crawler takes 3 hits. With good timing you can easily land 2 and run away. If you moved forward with each attack you would get too close to be able to escape.

Dashing is one of the special moves you will be able to unlock. I have yet to code it but it's planned for the alpha. It's a suggestion by the reviewer at IndieGames.com. It won't use a separate key but a double tap in one direction to activate. This will deplete your energy but allow you to run, jump longer and also preform sliding attacks, where you will move forward a bit while holding the sword out.

Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 02:44:38 AM »

It won't use a separate key but a double tap in one direction to activate.
Then it would make it hard to use, if that's what you want. Like when you want to quickly run (away), double tapping would take more time.
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 06:58:42 AM »

It's not meant as a means to run away but rather to jump longer and to speedrun. It will do more damage than the regular attack so it can be used offensively as well. You are already faster than all the monsters so running away is not a problem. It should not be too easy to pull off. Double-tapping is a common way to activate running in games.

A run button would also not be suitable for a mobile. I already intend for a button to use special attacks. And that's one button more than the ideal 4 buttons.

Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 09:44:53 AM »

I should perhaps add some history to this as well, regarding development before releasing the pre-alpha on this forum. Attack range has been extended once, on my own volition. This IIRC the first time anyone has mentioned it.

Difficulty has also been lowered on a few occasions, after watching new players play the game. The current normal was previously easy and the current hard was previously normal. The game is intended to not be too easy, there are many games out there that are way harder. If normal is too difficult just play on easy, it's what it's there for.

You don't have to kill every monster or collect every coin to complete a level. Most are very easy to avoid. And you can always return to previous levels later, once you have leveled up.

Gameplay is a matter of taste. I am making a game I want to play myself. Any suggestion that I like or doesn't alter the core gameplay, I will try to add to the game. And I have made many such changes. I can't please every one. There are people who, like me, loves the game just the way it is. Making changes to a game just to make it more like other games is not a good idea. A game should be unique to stand out.

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »

With stiff movement do you mean the lack of acceleration/deceleration or the movement speed?

I mean that when I need to move just a couple pixels I move more than I intended and when I try to correct it I wind up fucking up even worse. Sure it may just be that I suck at your game, and I'm not saying I shouldn't have to get better to play through it, I just think it handles a bit awkward. I do enjoy the conceit of getting in and getting out quickly I just don't think the movement enables that as well as it could.

Also, I'm well aware of how "Gameplay is a matter of taste", but what did you put your game up here for if not to get feedback?
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »

The movement is instant, so to move a little you just tap the button. As soon as you press it you have full speed and as soon as you release it you make a full stop. This is sometimes referred to as twitchy controls. I like this a lot myself, which is why I choose this method. If you are not used to it then it takes a bit of playing to get it. Just like it takes a bit of time to get used to having acceleration, if you're not used to it. I am not totally against adding some of that. I have thought about it, especially now that I have increased the movement speed in the alpha. I could definitely take a look at it. It's not hard to add and it doesn't affect the core gameplay.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic