Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 09:38:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCold Vengeance - 90s Style 3D Run 'n' Gun [OUT NOW!]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
Author Topic: Cold Vengeance - 90s Style 3D Run 'n' Gun [OUT NOW!]  (Read 30377 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »

What are those flickering white squares supposed to be? I don't get it. The water looks nice.

They're supposed to be splashes of rushing whitewater.  I could probably make it more readable...

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »

Screenshot Saturday

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2016, 04:55:47 PM »

Jetpack Fight

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2016, 12:30:25 PM »

Uploaded some gameplay footage of the first stage of the game:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2016, 10:19:22 AM »

Work continues on the game.  This week I'm working on getting the last few levels that still have missing elements finished, or at least a rough pass on them finished.  I'm also working on the last optional mini-boss.  I don't want to give too much away about it (although if you look through the thread, you might find an early image of it somewhere...), but it's a fun one!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2016, 12:03:47 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: October 22, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »

Waterfall

gamesthatcouldbeworse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2016, 05:25:11 AM »

I like the fog. Reminds me of Turok 1.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »

Just finished the final cutscene of the game.  Just have a few loose ends to clean up and the game will be basically content-complete and playable from start to finish.

I'd also like to take a moment to announce that the official release date (barring unforeseen circumstances) will be January 11th, 2017.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2016, 09:03:34 AM »

Cold Vengeance is now available to Pre-Order from the Humble Store.  Preorder and get 33% off.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/cold-vengeance

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2016, 02:06:25 PM »

Decided to rework the appearance of explosions a bit

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2016, 11:01:55 AM »

Update 11/17/16

I've been whittling away at my ToDo list.  In the past month or so, it's gone down from around 10 pages to 4 pages to just about 2 pages.  Of course that list can also easily grow, and probably will with testing.  My hope is to have the game basically in a state by the end of the month where I would basically feel comfortable releasing it.  I will then spend December on last-minute gameplay tweaks, doing another pass on boss battles especially, and getting everything ready for Steam.

In the mean time, here's some Fern Animation

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2016, 08:55:21 PM »

Playing through the game to figure score and time rankings for each level (and, in the process, finding a bunch of small bugs to fix).

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2016, 01:12:10 PM »

My current task in working on Cold Vengeance is figuring out Score and Time rankings for each level.  It’s an interesting challenge for a few reasons.

When making games, it’s generally a safe assumption that you, the designer, are going to be significantly better at the game than most players.  Thus when you’re designing levels and such, if it feels like the right difficulty for you, it’s probably too hard for most people unless it’s the very end of the game or a special hard difficulty mode.

But, conversely, as the designer, you’re not necessarily a master at playing your own game, and your own skill ceiling comes into play.  So if you’re making an optional challenge for skilled players, it can be difficult to figure out what a good challenge level is.  And the problem if you’re making something that is too difficult for yourself to accomplish, you still need to know that it’s possible to accomplish.

In Cold Vengeance, an A-Rank score is generally obtained by killing most of the enemies you run into, choosing an enemy rich path, and (most importantly) maintaining your combo as much as possible.  An A-Rank time should basically involve maintaining forward movement as much as possible and quickly clearing out locked-areas.  It also needs to be possible to get an A-Rank in both Score and Time in the same run of a level, so an A-Rank time has to allow enough time for the player to defeat most of the enemies they come across rather than avoiding/running past them (which leads to some situations where there are levels where it would be somewhat trivial to get an A-Rank in Time if you don’t care about your score, but that’s kind of built into the game, so oh well).

These are pretty easy for me to figure out for early levels, where I can basically run through each level without getting hit, but for the later levels has proved (quite rightly so) a challenge.  I’ve never really designed anything before for theoretical players who are better at my own game than I am, so this is new territory.  My options are to retry the levels until I can get a really good score/time and use that as the A-Rank, or make myself invincible to simulate high-level play.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: November 30, 2016, 09:20:31 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: December 02, 2016, 11:51:48 AM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2016, 12:53:19 PM »

The two main types of homing projectiles: Rockets and Missiles

Rockets have a (mostly) constant forward direction and velocity, but can, in addition to that, move left/right and up/down in towards the player.

Missiles, on the other hand, actually turn towards the player.  Missiles also usually have an initial velocity which then goes down to zero, before speeding up again towards the player. 

Missiles then are subdivided into a number of other projectile types, which function on the same basic logic, but differ in various ways such as speed, friction/acceleration, and whether or not they can be destroyed by player projectiles.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2016, 12:59:45 PM »

Bug Testing

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic