Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 06:40:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMaster of Magic clone
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Master of Magic clone  (Read 1168 times)
loogie
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:56:52 AM »

Hey guys, I've been looking to try my hand at games for a long time, and I think I've finally found a project that I could possibly do...

How many of you guys have played the game Master(s?) of Magic? It was an old dos game that was basically Civ 2 with wizards spells and fantasy creatures... The combat was tactic's like, similar to a might and magic heroes kind of style (but no unit stacking)...

I've decided to attempt a clone of the game, starting with the combat system... it has a finite map, units, and options, and yet should delve into some of the more useful side of game design... I'm going to be using C# and XNA... I've got a friend who is going to be helping me when he's finished school (hopefully).

I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the original game, and if you think it'd be a good project to take on? I'll give you a screenshot of what I've got so far.. basically an isometric map with units that you can click on to move them one direction...

Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »

One of my favorite games of all time.  I have it on my computer now and played it recently. 
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:15:01 PM »

OLD MAN, YOU SEEK THE SPELL OF MASTERY

I literally played that game until the CD exploded in my disc drive.

The original game offered a lot depth via spells, combat units, and NPC events that it could be a lot of fun. The concept was relatively simple since everything was turn based. You could easily start off recreating the basic game mechanics for exploration, combat, and city building and then start creating your own original spells and creatures.

The hard part will be balancing everything at the end. There will be a lot of polish required before it turns the corner and becomes independently playable. It's still a good choice for a first project, though.
loogie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:22:18 AM »

thanks for the replies.. we figured (my friend is going to help me.. eventually.. hopefully Tongue) that combat would be a good start.. The map is a fixed size, a small number of units to keep track of, and actions few and simple...  balancing would definitly take some doing.. but it's worth a try!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic