Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 07:21:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestinglooking for feedback for my game sailboatboatboat
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: looking for feedback for my game sailboatboatboat  (Read 849 times)
prettymuchbryce
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2012, 08:30:51 PM »

Hey guys. I prototyped this game called sailboatboatboat a few weeks ago. I am trying to think of ways to make it better or more interesting. Obviously visuals are at the top of the list. I would love to hear some critical input on how it could be improved, or new features that could be added to make it more interesting. There are some crazy talented people on these forums, so I'm hoping that you guys will chime in and tell me your thoughts.. even if they are negative  Tongue

http://prettymuchbryce.com/ld23
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 08:44:46 PM »

Camera/movement feels really stiff. It'd be nice to be able to move it around a bit, get a better idea of my surroundings.

Aside from that, it's pretty dull and I don't feel any sense of progression. I only played for two minutes mind you, but that's the thing- you've got about ten seconds to hook the player, or they'll move on to something else (esp with flash games, of which there are thousands upon thousands).

Hopefully you'll add something that can grip a player, something other than clicking on fish.

Obv. you've still got a long way to go with this game, so I wish you the best of luck!
prettymuchbryce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:51:08 PM »

Hopefully you'll add something that can grip a player, something other than clicking on fish.
Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left
I definitely agree with you. I hope improved visuals can lend a hand to this. Otherwise I think some narrative or opening action could help too.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:41:40 PM »

I like how I won but then immediately lost. That was a nice touch, and is good social commentary on the nature of a fisherman's life.

The jerky camera could be fixed by adding a bit of inertia, if not at the ship-level, then certainly at the camera-level.

Controls could be nicer. Maybe WASD to move, mouse + space to fire?

Does the sell price go down per-fish? Because I did a thing where I tried to buy a bunch of fish, then go to another port and sell 'em where the price was higher. But I ended up only getting a fifth of what I expected.

It might be nice to include some chillax music, if possible. In the end I had to

Some of my old friends were in town and texted me to see if I wanted to go to Battleship. But my social anxiety overcame me and I didn't go. I made it as far as my car, but then the thought of seeing my friends made me feel physically ill. Physically ill. To the point of dry-heaving. Is this what it's like to grow up? My puberty book didn't mention this at all...

The gameplay feels conflicted. On one hand you have action battles, and on the other hand you have farming fish, and you have economic trading simulator in there too. Yeah, I get what you're going for, with the tension between staying to get the fish and being forced to move due to the cannonballs. But it's more annoying than anything. Figure out what you want your game to say, then focus the mechanics to say that as best as you can.

I like the juiciness of collecting items.

The collision detection is whack. So is the cannon aiming. Check your hitboxes. Check your trajectory algorithm—it shouldn't be any more complicated than an atan2, should it?

Don't put upgrade elements in a ten-minute game. Upgrades are great for instilling a sense of power, but when you get that power two minutes after starting the game?

You've got some relaxing and therapeutic mechanics going on. They're grindy, yeah, but grinding can be nice in its own sort of way. However, this isn't enough to sell a game. You've got to make it worth staying in the game. I'd recommend taking some atmosphere lessons from Knytt and Fez. A little bit of cohesive world feeling goes a long way.

Keeping with the ocean theme, I'd suggest completely remaking the sound effects. Crackling noise and square waves don't really fit. Try some sine waves, and smooth noise (pink or even some brown, with nice smooth attack/delay).

I love the ocean. I love staring off into that vast expanse and wondering what all is out there. The secrets that are hidden. The beauty unexplored. I have a feeling I am not alone in this regard. Tap into that.

In relation to that, maybe have the player reveal the map, bit by bit. I know you can go further, but that's a start.

It's a start. It's a good start. It's a bit unsure of itself, but I think it'll pull through in the end.
prettymuchbryce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:06:12 PM »

It's a start. It's a good start. It's a bit unsure of itself, but I think it'll pull through in the end.

Hey wow -- that was a really insightful and useful take on the game. I really appreciate you taking the time to write that up. I promise every single word you just wrote has absorbed into my brain and neurons are being fired right now in order to eventually make corrections on the points that you've just mentioned. You're totally spot-on about the collision. The music and sound critique is absolutely warranted too. I will certainly check out Knytt and Fez. I agree that the game lacks a "vibe" per say. It feels pretty dry. I also like your points about game-design focus. I will think about that too.

As far as the unexplored beauty of open waters.. I was thinking it might be neat to have random events that can happen. For example -- you may be wandering about looking for fish and suddenly you come across a friendly boat that asks if you will do something for it. Quests in a sense. Or maybe you come across a nasty sea monster or something like that. I'm not sure yet.

Thanks again Noah !
RunawayDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:01:41 AM »

It's a pretty relaxing game. I played for about ten minutes and the major issues that stuck out to me where:
1) The aiming is difficult to control. Some kind of wasd with mouse aiming would be ideal, or maybe you just hit the spacebar and it auto aims towards the closest ship. Also I would increase the rate of fire for the first level of ship. It pretty much seemed impossible to kill anything with that ship, I just ran away from everybody until I could upgrade.

2) It would be really nice to see the location of ports on the minimap. Sometimes I would have a ton of fish and I had to sail around for a while trying to find a port.

I like the upgrade system, it gave me a goal to work towards. My main motivation was to see what the highest tier ship was like. Keep on working out those kinks, you could have something pretty fun on your hands. Smiley

---Edit
Oh, yeah, if you want to do events and stuff, you should look at Cursed Loot [Xbox Live Indie Arcade] the way they do events would really suit your game. http://xboxindiereviews.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/epic-dungeon/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:01:44 PM by RunawayDev » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic