Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 11:55:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignIdea for my next 2D game! Please give me some feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Idea for my next 2D game! Please give me some feedback  (Read 1150 times)
IndieQuantum
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2023, 07:00:37 PM »

Hi there,

I have been stuck in coming up with fresh ideas for my next game and have just potentially found an "ok" concept. A few days ago when I was brainstorming ideas for my next game, a friend of mine told me to focus on a central theme that my game can follow. A theme that I always wanted to do was light and dark.

I like this theme a lot as not only can the gameplay surrounding this theme can be unique but also can allow me to connect personally with this theme. I have been playing tons of indie game lately and I noticed that most indie games portray emotion. Strong emotion that it actually allowed me to connect with the characters and story at a more personal level.

With the theme light and dark, I was thinking in creating a game where you play as like a light warrior or a chosen person of the light. As a chosen person of light, you are tasked by returning light to a kingdom that has fallen into darkness. I am currently writing the story of this.

Please do give me some feedback!
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 02:51:55 AM »

There's... not really a lot to comment on right now, as the concept is fairly nascent as presented.

That said, I can certainly see it working, and I daresay that there are a number of directions--narrative, emotional, and game-mechanical all--in which one could take such a concept.

IndieQuantum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 08:43:03 AM »

I know it's not a lot right now but I just wanted to project my idea. Like the other day I was thinking to myself that the game should follow kind of like animal themed or something. Like Hollow Knight, Hollow Knight is a bug themed metroidvania which executes its environments perfectly.

So I am starting to design the protagonist and I quickly searched "light warrior" or "warrior of light". The images I got was a figure with wings, which would make sense as like light is directed to divine or hope which was what I was going for. When the wings came up I was like maybe I could do the game bird themed. Maybe bird themed is a little cheesy at the moment but I feel that it could have a lot of potential gameplay wise.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 02:17:43 AM »

I could see something bird-themed working.

As to it being cheesy... that might depend on how you design it! I could see both cheesy and non-cheesy designs coming from such an inspiration, I believe.

IndieQuantum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 07:40:46 PM »

Thank you so much! I will try my best not to make it cheesy. Perhaps I will share some concept designs for the protagonist sometime.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 05:45:03 AM »

Just some general feedback, but I would take it seriously. It is not ideas and themes that will make your game special and potentially interesting to play. What matters is the concrete implementation/integration of everything. A unique game is like a unique weapon. It can be based on anything. The hands of a master can even turn a simple piece of paper into a deadly weapon.

So the light and dark theme is not what will make your game special, just like a piece of paper isn't anything special. It's all about what you make out of it. And you can make something special from anything.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic