Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 07:16:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignAre mouse controls non-negotiable for First Person Games on PC?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Are mouse controls non-negotiable for First Person Games on PC?  (Read 796 times)
TwoSaint
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2023, 01:45:49 PM »

I've been working on a combate FPS that has more of a fighting game feel. In order to that I put in combos thus taking away the ability to use the mouse. So now the arrow keys are used for looking around and different types of swinging when locked on to target. There will also be controller support.

Are arrowkeys to look around too much of a removal from the FPS norm?

salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 01:56:19 AM »

You can do anything you want. If you think your game would be better with arrow keys, go ahead. Would like to see what happens.

I would recommend looking at it instead as thinking about how you are going to let the player control their axis of motion. In an fps game, you need to control roughly 4 separate degrees of motion - 2 lateral motions in terms of the player position relative to their cooridates on the floor, and 2 rotational components regarding where they are facing. So on both PC and console you usually have 2 2d inputs - wasd and mouse or two joysticks.

But you don't have to have that. In metroid prime you control forward and backward motion with the control stick, and use a lock on feature to snap to face things. This also switches your movment to strafing, and there is an over ride button to start aiming that keeps you stationary. You never use the second controlt stick for motion. At least that's how it is in the gamecube verion I played as a teenager. For the wii port in the trilogy collection you use the wiimote to aim, and then idk what they do in the switch version.

Consider this - for controllers, you use the joystick to control the velocity of the orientation you are facing and aiming, while on pc you use the mouse (or wiimote on wii) to control the position directly - relative to the tracking camera's position to a tracking medium (IR light station for wiimote, mousepad for mouse). So there is no one way to do this.

Also, it would be interesting how you consider the implementation of combos. I usually understand combos to be when you can cancel animations and make your animations execute within the time frame that an opponent's animation can start or finish. So idk why you couldn't implement it no matter what movement control scheme you end up with, but idk what you are going for so it might have to be that way. You could consider something where you buffer wasd inputs if you just want command moves though.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 02:04:46 AM by salade » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 07:27:10 PM »

Are you making this game because you expect it to be played by millions of people? Cuz that ain't happening. So just make whatever you have fun making.

TwoSaint
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 01:57:32 PM »

But you don't have to have that. In metroid prime you control forward and backward motion with the control stick, and use a lock on feature to snap to face things. This also switches your movment to strafing, and there is an over ride button to start aiming that keeps you stationary. You never use the second controlt stick for motion. At least that's how it is in the gamecube verion I played as a teenager. For the wii port in the trilogy collection you use the wiimote to aim, and then idk what they do in the switch version.

Thats really interesting I will have to look into Metroid. Thank You!

Are you making this game because you expect it to be played by millions of people? Cuz that ain't happening. So just make whatever you have fun making.

I would like to make a game that feels as comfortable to play as possible, and I'm qurious if there are other control scemes that I'm missing that I could explore and learn from.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 02:12:25 PM by TwoSaint » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 05:55:55 AM »

Typically, WASD/Mouse combo is well hashed to be quite comfortable. It's difficult to reinvent something as basic as the wheel and make major improvements. In the Nike movie, Matt Damon's character was saying he wanted a fundamental change to sneakers, and the shoe designer said that hasn't happened since they decided to make left and right shoes shaped differently. I can't say you won't make such a big leap forward, but I doubt it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic