Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411661 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 04:05:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGames you REALLY dislike / hate
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Games you REALLY dislike / hate  (Read 32132 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2008, 02:16:46 PM »

Now that I think about it... I think I hate Morrowind.  I really wanted to like it.  I tried very hard to like it.  I spent three weeks playing it, leveling up, running fetch quests, and... then I stopped.  At the time I thought I stopped merely because it was boring.  But the more I think about the game, the more I think I might actually hate it, if only for getting my hopes up that it might eventually get fun, and for making me spend three weeks of my life on a boring game.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Renton
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2008, 02:41:53 PM »

Now that I think about it... I think I hate Morrowind.  I really wanted to like it.  I tried very hard to like it.  I spent three weeks playing it, leveling up, running fetch quests, and... then I stopped.  At the time I thought I stopped merely because it was boring.  But the more I think about the game, the more I think I might actually hate it, if only for getting my hopes up that it might eventually get fun, and for making me spend three weeks of my life on a boring game.
A friend spent about 2 months in the wilderness. Not one quest. He was level 40 before signing up for the Imperial Legion. He had killed the main boss of the game without knowing.
Gorgoo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2008, 03:01:53 PM »

It's strange, but I don't think I've ever been able to like a turn-based JRPG, despite really wanting to like them. And for some reason, I loved Kingdom Hearts.

Maybe it's because I don't mind the stories so much. I mean, they're clichéd and some are just bad, but occasionally I find it fun to play through and watch them happen, like a cheesy action movie. Plus, while not all have them, some of the most original enemy designs I've seen have been in JRPGs.

The menu-based gameplay kills it for me, though. My experience with nearly any JRPG is along the lines of either playing for a few hours, realizing I haven't actually gotten involved with any real story yet, and quitting, or playing a long way through the game, getting interested in the story, and coming up against a boss that can only be beaten by going back to a previous area and level-grinding for a few hours, and quitting at that.

I think I liked Kingdom Hearts because, while it's got all those flaws, it's really good at distracting you from that with a battle system that doesn't have the constant downtime of navigating menus. Also, it's the only JRPG I can think of where the impressive enemy designs got to move around and fight instead of waiting for their turn and executing a single animation while a number is subtracted from your health.

But this is a 'games you hate' thread, so... I do hate menu-based RPGs, for being cheesy action movies with the worst fight scenes ever.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »

A JRPG is just a story (which you might like or dislike; I'm pretty firmly on the 'dislike' side of most of them) where you have to do work to get to the next page.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2008, 03:09:58 PM »

A JRPG is just a story (which you might like or dislike; I'm pretty firmly on the 'dislike' side of most of them) where you have to do work to get to the next page.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2008, 03:35:58 PM »

Also, it's the only JRPG I can think of where the impressive enemy designs got to move around and fight instead of waiting for their turn and executing a single animation while a number is subtracted from your health.
...ever tried one of the "Tales" games?  Cool
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »

Uh, or Secret of Mana.  Tongue

Also, everybody talks about how the gummi ship sections are shitty shit and they should die in a fire, but I love every second of them. It's obvious why the people who like KH hate Gummi Ships, and stuffing a shmup into a JRPG is an admittedly terrible idea, but I loved making ships and playing through all the levels. It's the kind of hectic craziness I love in video games.
Gorgoo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2008, 03:43:17 PM »

Also, it's the only JRPG I can think of where the impressive enemy designs got to move around and fight instead of waiting for their turn and executing a single animation while a number is subtracted from your health.
...ever tried one of the "Tales" games?  Cool

I've tried two, but never got very far. All I really remember, though, were bats, some sort of wild dog, and pretty generic rock and plant monsters. I didn't get far enough to really see much, though, so for all I know it could've gotten much better later on.
PaleFox
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »

The Tales games (at least some) are generally good, some are great, Tales of Phantasia being the best of them (of JPGS? maybe) but sadly they screwed it up when they brought it to the US on GBA. Very sad. However, I will say that games in that series are some of the few JPRGS I can actually bring myself to finish.

FF XII, on the other hand... I hate it with a fiery passion. It's weird because some of the earlier FF games i.e. 6 were good, if not perfect, and Tactics is incredibly brilliant, but at time passes they just get worse and worse. I fully expect FF13 to include a boss who takes an entire week to defeat.

Then claim it as having over 160 hours of gameplay. In fact, make that 200 just by adding cutscenes! If they're unskippable, they count as game time!
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »

:D

This is brilliant.
The-Imp
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2008, 04:12:53 PM »

Chrono Trigger was terrible, because it

1: had artwork by the dude who made Dragon Ball Z, which makes me want to vomit.
Angry

Akira Toriyama, his art style is UNIQUE! It really shows in the Dragon Warrior series.
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2008, 05:27:06 PM »

I hate *drumroll* Cave Story!

I was supposed to work today, only Curly died, so I spent the better part of the day on my second run through in an attempt to make her -less- dead. So yeah, I hate Cave Story for making me care and thus spend my time playing games when I should be making them.

On a serious note, I think if you cut up and put back together the entire Final Fantasy franchise you could probably have the makings of two really good games. I can think of bits of every game that I loved and other bits that did nothing but piss me off. Aside from FF8, I just hated everything about that.

I really hate World War 2 shooters. I've yet to play one that doesn't glorify war; or worse feign 'grit' when there is a health kit and instant revive around the next corner. Its like "Doodz WW2 WAS SO COOOL, if I was there I'd PWN some fag Nazi's". Just about swallowed Modern Warfare though, since it had the accurate everyone dies storyline.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2008, 06:00:44 PM »

Final Fantasy Tactics was amazing, though Tongue

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2008, 06:59:19 PM »

Tactics was a genuinely fun strategy game: the story was kind of political and interesting by JRPG standards, and the gameplay didn't feel like work.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2008, 07:14:07 PM »

Just about swallowed Modern Warfare though, since it had the accurate everyone dies storyline.
Nice spoiler. I don't mind, because I beat it, but if I was still in the middle of playing it, I would be pissed at you.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »

Tactics was a genuinely fun strategy game: the story was kind of political and interesting by JRPG standards, and the gameplay didn't feel like work.

By far my favorite FF game ever. FF1 and FFIV were good but tactics jsut blew them out of the water. I really liked the slight French Revolution parallels in the story as well.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2008, 07:49:32 PM »

Tactics Advance, on the other hand... Roll Eyes
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2008, 07:52:21 PM »

Lesseee
Tactics Advance was a genuinely fun strategy game: the story was kind of political and interesting by JRPG standards, and the gameplay didn't feel like work.

On another note, is A2 any better?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2008, 07:52:49 PM »

Tactics Advance, on the other hand... Roll Eyes

...disappointed me immensely Cry

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2008, 07:54:24 PM »

I'm sort of embarrassed to say that I beat all 300 missions in that game. I'm addicted by things way too easily! Cry

This is why I won't ever do drugs.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic