Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411678 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 09:32:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNon-standard roguelike settings
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Non-standard roguelike settings  (Read 30963 times)
PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2008, 12:43:12 AM »

What about some sort of auto-roguelike?

When I read the first line there I immediately thought, 'Car Wars'.
That's also cool.
Movius
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2008, 06:32:32 AM »

soon
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2008, 06:34:35 AM »

holyshitthatsawesome!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Mr.Flibble
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2008, 08:10:47 AM »

Some great idea's here guys.  A quick mock up of the Zombie Roguelike that I hope to make in the near future.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2008, 11:04:30 AM »

Awesome.

I should do PongRL to freshen up my pascal skills.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2008, 01:39:35 AM »

Robotacon, have you tried Shiren the Wanderer?

it was also on the SNES (only in jap), and there's a translation project too Smiley

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
JimmyBignuts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2008, 07:08:46 AM »

I'd love to see a RL based on the world of Kingdom of Loathing.
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2008, 11:25:46 AM »

I'd love to see a RL based on the world of Kingdom of Loathing.
I'd love that, too. I'll be a Sauceror. Maybe a Pastamancer.

DYRE
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2008, 06:37:34 PM »

I'd like to see a RL for DS with pixel graphics and non-standard in every way that makes it a mainstream sell-able product.
If you have a way of playing homebrew on your DS, try POWDER.  It's similar to other roguelikes, but it's very much simplified.

Also, to contribute to the topic, maybe a roguelike based on pirates would be cool.  Preferably, it would have detailed sailing and naval combat, though also there would be gameplay on land (digging up treasure and pillaging towns, of course).
JimmyBignuts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2008, 01:43:23 AM »

There is a problem with having vehicles in a roguelike due to an inability to move and rotate in any more than 8 directions. Submarines and boats should be fine with this though navigation would be more simplified than one might like. Simulating car handling seems near impossible in the framework, as awesome as they might be.
PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2008, 04:31:11 AM »

There is a problem with having vehicles in a roguelike due to an inability to move and rotate in any more than 8 directions. Submarines and boats should be fine with this though navigation would be more simplified than one might like. Simulating car handling seems near impossible in the framework, as awesome as they might be.
This leads me onto another one.

Real time RL without tiles. Like Diablo but with less character leveling and more something else. Anything else.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2008, 04:35:43 AM »

This leads me onto another one.

Real time RL without tiles. Like Diablo but with less character leveling and more something else. Anything else.

Notrium?
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2008, 06:17:33 AM »

Far from true. See Ascii Sector for example. Roguelikes are no more bound to 8 directions than any other tile based game.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2008, 06:23:21 AM »

Zracer for another car handling demo.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2008, 07:36:23 AM »

People come up with crapton of different definitions for what's a roguelike, and while I don't care much about them, one of the usual consensus is that the game must be completely grid-based, and nothing can extrapolate it (besides maybe menus). Obviously, you can call this a bunch of bollocks if you want. Tongue

Other bollocks:

- Must be limited to the 16 console color pallete (which I altered for my game because the original is shit).
- Must be turn-based.
- Must have some kind of dungeon-crawling-esque gameplay.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2008, 01:27:50 PM »

Heh, I was actually working on notes for a Kingdom of Loathing RL last week. Smiley At least, how to do it properly.

EDIT: Which is to say, not properly according to a RL developer and "properly" as how I would write it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 01:39:05 PM by dmoonfire » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2008, 07:42:10 AM »

How about a poaching roguelike. Explore uncharted lands, find strange creatures, and hang their heads on your mantlepiece. Yes, you actually have to return home and decorate your house, Sims-style, with all kinds of furniture made from dead animals.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2008, 10:30:51 AM »

A roguelike where you're a patient in an insane asylum, and have to escape. You can spend time leveling your insanity by fighting the demons that haunt and torment you, and gain spells and abilities to fight them off, or spend time leveling your reality by fighting off the workers that are trying to capture you, but you cannot fight reality by imaginary means, nor can you fight the demons with conventional means. What is to you a +1 cursed sword is in actuality a spork with sticky honey on it so you can't drop it. You have to identify items for what they really are before you can fight with them in reality, but then they become ineffective against the imagination.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »

That's fantastic :D Please make it!

Seth
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2008, 10:55:07 AM »

Yeah that sounds awesome, though I think it would be cool if the line between reality and insanity was blurred, so that it was never too clear which was which.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic