Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411669 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 11:43:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Humble Indie Bundle #3
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: The Humble Indie Bundle #3  (Read 41048 times)
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »

Cogs is pretty awesome. Good purchase. VVVVVV was the only game here I already had.

In Crayon Physics Deluxe, the first level works find, then subsequent levels my objects don't appear on screen. I draw a thing and it vanishes, but the ball moves like the thing is there but invisible. Closing and re-opening the game fixes this, but only for one level.

Not finding any help on the spam filled Kloonigames forums. Is there an FAQ that addresses this?
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »

I'm still a little sore over the first HIB since World of Goo made like $1 million from that alone, which is about 0.001% of the money I made when I contracted for them on that gig Concerned

I'm not mad at 2D Boy, I'm just pissed that contractors get paid next to nothing and can't collect royalties.

obviously I have no idea about your personal arrangements, but in my experience most contractors do not WANT royalties and tend to be offended at being offered profit-share instead of up-front payment.

Things would be different if the contractors could tell ahead of time what was going to be a hit, but then, if the developers knew what would be a hit their businesses would work differently too!

I know at least a few devs put sales-target bonuses in the contracts too, so if the game does at least X well you get some extra money.
Bandages
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 10:19:41 PM »

I swear to fucking christ whoever made the "prize for the reckless" shiny object puzzle for VVVVVV will get a face full of SEARING HOT ACID if I ever meet them in person

Hand Any Key Crazy

e: AFTER AN HOUR I HAVE DONE IT

still have yet to try the other four games

e2: OOPS THE HARD WAY ONE IS... FUUUUU
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:59:01 PM by Castle » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 10:29:10 PM »

I'm still a little sore over the first HIB since World of Goo made like $1 million from that alone, which is about 0.001% of the money I made when I contracted for them on that gig Concerned

I'm not mad at 2D Boy, I'm just pissed that contractors get paid next to nothing and can't collect royalties.

that's why i prefer to give all people who work on my games a royalty percent, even if it's just a small one for a small task. i wish this were more common practice than it seems to be. i know a lot of people who worked on a successful game and didn't get very much money from it (an example is this forum's own teegee with a hidden object game he made for a company; after the game was complete and started making millions he was fired).

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 10:33:58 PM »

Played the first level of VVVVVV.(until you got to the ship)
Was like, "oh, this is pretty easy! I'll be done with this game in a few hours."

Then I started exploring the rest of the world...
 Shocked... WTF...  Apoplectic... Outraged... Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Awesome game though.

Started playing Hammerfight, and I gotta say the text is small enough to be annoying to read, and the character portraits don't feel like they fit in with the rest of the game's aesthetic at all. Oh yeah, and the story feels pretty dry so I've been skipping 1/2 the dialogue.(something I rarely do) The gameplay is awesome though, once I got used to the controls I really saw the fun in the game.

I do not regret buying this bundle.  Kiss
I'm only two games in and I'm dazzled.

It's funny how Windows has the lowest pay average. I can think of some reasons why that'd make sense though.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 10:48:30 PM »

Ninja does anyone know if the vvvvvv v2.0 is live on steam yet? if i want to play the latest version should i use the one from the humble site or the one from steam, or either?

Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2011, 12:26:31 AM »

that's why i prefer to give all people who work on my games a royalty percent, even if it's just a small one for a small task. i wish this were more common practice than it seems to be. i know a lot of people who worked on a successful game and didn't get very much money from it (an example is this forum's own teegee with a hidden object game he made for a company; after the game was complete and started making millions he was fired).

Whoa. That sucks. Like, seriously sucks.

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2011, 12:48:23 AM »

Game selection looks pretty solid. Will have to check my paypal.

st33d
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2011, 01:08:46 AM »

I was going to be productive last night.

Angry Hand Shake Right
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 01:18:24 AM »

@Tumetsu: I don't have that issue, it sounds like your monitor doesn't know how to deal. If it's a not-too-old flatscreen it should have an "auto-calibrate" button that shoudl fix it.
I'm playing with laptop so I don't have said buttons. It also works perfectly with every other games I have played but with this the screen is plain weird. Well, I think I can play on window.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2011, 02:10:55 AM »

Oh great. Now I put HF to fullscreen and tried to restart it and it just flashes fullscreen until screen minimizes to taskbar. Can't even set it back to windowed. Looks like I have to do some config file magic.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2011, 03:23:01 AM »

I'm still a little sore over the first HIB since World of Goo made like $1 million from that alone, which is about 0.001% of the money I made when I contracted for them on that gig
According to the HiB stats for the first bundle the World of Goo team got $176,132.04 total. 0.001% of that is $176.13. How much work did you do to get paid $176?

Ashkin
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2011, 03:33:30 AM »

Man, I would get this if I didn't already own 40% of it. Might get it anyway though.
But I own VVVVVV, I own Cogs, and I don't really want AYiM. But it's still a great deal for Hammerfight and Crayon Physics.
capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2011, 03:52:59 AM »

I'm still a little sore over the first HIB since World of Goo made like $1 million from that alone, which is about 0.001% of the money I made when I contracted for them on that gig
According to the HiB stats for the first bundle the World of Goo team got $176,132.04 total. 0.001% of that is $176.13. How much work did you do to get paid $176?
I can certainly sympathise with how he feels, that he helped create an awesome game that was very profitable and yet only gets his one-off payment as compensation.
That said, if world of goo had flopped, i don't imagine he'd have given back the money they gave him for his work.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2011, 03:58:30 AM »

Ninja does anyone know if the vvvvvv v2.0 is live on steam yet? if i want to play the latest version should i use the one from the humble site or the one from steam, or either?

I've sent it to them, just waiting for them to post the update! I dunno what the hold up is, but I'm sure they'll get to it soon. Smiley

Zaphos
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2011, 04:29:46 AM »

If you read phubans post carefully he says [the amount wog made] = .001% * [what phubans made].  So phubans was actually paid $176,132.04 / (.001%) = 17,613,204,000, or roughly 17.6 billion dollars for his contract job.
st33d
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2011, 04:40:50 AM »

Man, I would get this if I didn't already own 40% of it. Might get it anyway though.
But I own VVVVVV, I own Cogs, and I don't really want AYiM. But it's still a great deal for Hammerfight and Crayon Physics.

AYiM was way better than I thought it would be.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2011, 05:00:37 AM »

i know a lot of people who worked on a successful game and didn't get very much money from it (an example is this forum's own teegee with a hidden object game he made for a company; after the game was complete and started making millions he was fired).
This is a bit off-topic, but consider that I was an employee, and I was paid a good salary to do my job. I would get paid even if the game flopped or would never get finished. It's a risk on both sides. And it's just how working for someone works.

Giving royalties is often too unpredictable and unpractical, especially for regular companies who have to register all the payments they make. If you pay X thousands of dollars to - say - the composer, and it's a price he finds to be fair, it's a clear deal and everyone's happy. But if you give him 10%, there's a certain risk. If the game flops, he'll get nothing for his hard work. And if the game suddenly becomes a smashing hit and earns 10 million dollars, did he really deserved his million for a small commission?

Also, how to compute royalties? Direct sales are easy. But portals? Retail? Promotions? iOS port? Should royalties depend on the price or the profit the company makes? What if you sell the game and/or your company to someone? And what to do in 10 years, when the game still sells an odd copy every now and then?

It's really not that simple.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2011, 06:43:48 AM »

If you read phubans post carefully he says [the amount wog made] = .001% * [what phubans made].  So phubans was actually paid $176,132.04 / (.001%) = 17,613,204,000, or roughly 17.6 billion dollars for his contract job.
I did see that and assumed he'd wrote it that way in error. Having said that my maths was still wrong as 0.001% of $176,132.04 is $1.76 and not $176. I agree with PHubans, if I'd worked on World of Goo and only got paid $1.76 I'd be pissed too.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2011, 07:10:17 AM »

Hahaha, no... What I meant was that I made 1/1000th of how much the game probably earned, assuming it was over 2 million.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic