Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 11:38:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAge of Asteroids - A Space RTS Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Age of Asteroids - A Space RTS Game  (Read 1807 times)
reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2014, 04:25:34 AM »

Age of Asteroids
A Sci-Fi Space RTS Game

Age of Asteroids is the time after humans headed out for space, first settled the moon and later settled the mars with their first colonies and growing outposts.
Gathering and Transfering Resources over to this remote places was expensive and hard to manage, so the Big Mining Cooperations aimed for the Inner Asteroid Belt to mine Asteroids without having to fight against gravity making this journey much more worthy.

And so I started my journey out to the belt - and while I felt alone and small, I felt to be part of something bigger - Jay T. Kintaku, Space Manager

Because of the vast void of this space it needed not much time before the first conflicts started making the asteroid belt a dangerous place.

You are sent out to claim new sectors and manage the ressource generation for your Mining Company. Settle Asteroids, build up infrastructure and defend it with the help of Space Fighters, Tactical Missiles and Defense Towers. Get control of your sector to widen the area of your Mining Companys influence.

Current State of the game

The game is currently in a pre-alpha state, all screenshots and videos I provide are actual ingame footage. I aim to get a playable prototype ready for people to try it out and to get feedback about the game because I really want to make it enjoyable for a wide audience.

This is my first game I develop primary for PC and my first game in that project scale so I appreciate any feedback and also what you would expect from a game like this.

Thanks for reading and hopefully, you like it :-)

Find more information at

Official Website: http://www.ageofasteroids.com
IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/age-of-asteroids
or find it at facebook and twitter

Available at Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242560180

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdTEzq11OycnsKZ_vnPYDh7NutSBZRVLz
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:24:49 AM by reiti.net » Logged

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 08:16:50 AM »

Current work is mainly focused on UI stuff - all the selection giving orders to ships/fleets and such things.

This is a little video preview of how ships will - for example - dock into an surface hangar

There is still a lot to do and I may have to change some UI elements in the future - also the ships currently does not use any maneuvering jets so they look a bit unsmooth. I just not wanted to waste too much time for that at this early stage - but for me it is important that all those stuff looks good in the end :-)

Still a long way to go

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:09:47 AM »

I do like having lots of detail in a game - for me this is part of the athmosphere of a game :-)

The cool thing about being indie is, that you have as much time as you like to invest in whatever you personally prefer. For me I wanted the ships to behave like a player would do. So they are not using any sort of predefined animation, but instead using more or less player-like steering behaviour. At least, I try to do so.

A big problem with that approach was, that asteroids are naturally rotating, so every building on the asteroid is in permanent motion - which can be quite tricky for a ship to land in such a hangar.

I thought about how I would land a ship in such an hangar and implemented that logic, so the ship first finds an appropriate landing vector, goes there and slowly decreases altitude to finally land in the hangar.

The ship will always try to find the lowest safe orbit (depends on how height buildings are) and decrease altitude from there. So as an asteroid colony planer you will aim for heaving your hangars as near as possible at the lowest orbit, so the ships will land faster.

Watch the video to see a ship landing in action - would love to hear any opinions!

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:06:28 AM »

The last days I coded around the AI for the Space Cargo Liners. Those are Transport Vessels, working pretty siilar like a train nowadays works.

They are pulling large amounts of cargo boxes to bring them to other asteroids or back to earth!

I actually thought about how Space Transportation could work in the space future and ended up with those Liners. Mostly because nowadays large amount of cargo is transported very equally and it solved a lot of problems like getting the cargo onto the ship in zero-gravity conditions.

Have a more detailled read here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/age-of-asteroids/news/future-transportation

Or watch my demo video about it (you need to listen to my bad english pronouncing :-) ):

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »

Anyone interested to risk a look on my first trailer of the game?

Watch it here:

Hope you like it - this is just the first iteration to get the hang of the software involved and needs improvement :-)

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »

For everyone interested in the game, you now have the chance to support it with your vote at steam greenlight. I did a shorter trailer and corrected some things, the community has told me, so it may is worth a look :-)

I would highly appreciate even more if you join (or initiate) some discussions about your ideas of the future or what you want to see in the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242560180

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »

I have added a fresh gameplay video, where I show different aspects of the game and also you will be able to see the current progress.

This is just an insight and I cannot show every working feature of the game, but hopefully you'll get some idea of the game.

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »

There is just a fresh alpha gameplay video showing the following newly added game features:

Asteroid Probing

In order to find if an asteroid is worth to build a colony on, you may first send a small ship there to take a probe, so you can investigate which resources are available at this asteroid.

Tactical Missiles

Tactical Missiles or socalled Asteroid/Asteroid Missiles are mainly used to engage enemy asteroids from the distance. You're able to built several types of missiles and use them to hit far away enemy target - a first look in how this work can be found in the video linked above.

Other Features

The UI was updated, now more information is displayed and a lot of quirks were fixed. Next step may be the implementation of enemy AI, so there is actually something to conquer - heading for a public alpha!

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 02:15:07 AM »

A new Pre-Alpha Video was added. Showing optical improvements, newly implemented game elements and a new ship

Have Fun watching!

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 03:05:13 AM »

A Little Tech Demo is now available! Because it is public, it is pretty limited on some features, but you should get a good feeling about the game and see it first hand - it's a little goodie, before thre real alpha version is ready.

You can download the demo here:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/age-of-asteroids/downloads/pre-alpha-tech-demo

In the archive is an installer, which should care for everything else. Once in game you can play around with the controls. You cannot build any ships/missiles and you cannot settle any asteroids. But you have 4 ships in orbit you can control and also some missiles to your deposal.

Hope you like the tech demo! Any feedback highly appreciated!

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 11:47:29 AM »

The latest video added (Gameplay Video 04) is acutally about the trading system - like "How to generate money in the game" and also shows a lot of new elements, even when they are not mentioned directly in the game.

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 02:15:37 AM »

Some people may not be confident enough by just watching a video. They just want to get their hands on something before they recommend to their friends :-)

http://www.indiedb.com/games/age-of-asteroids/downloads/age-of-asteroids-alpha-demo-010

So here is the deal: I will give you a FREE DEMO Version of the current Alpha Game. This DEMO version is pretty limited in what you can do, so you can not build any ships, you can not build any missiles and you can not settle any other asteroids. But you can freely place structures on your current asteroid and I've given you 4 ships and a bunch of missiles to play around.

reiti.net
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 05:45:52 AM »

Age of Asteroids is now trying to collect some funds to get the graphics/assets polished up. I would highly appreciate if you tell your friends about it or even pledge by yourself!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/age-of-asteroids/x/7080204

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic