Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 08:39:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsTIGJam 2009: Canada
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: TIGJam 2009: Canada  (Read 29519 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2009, 09:56:27 PM »

Definitely come if you can, though. The more the merrier, for sure. Hopefully this picks up even more. Anybody have any other suggestions of folks maybe I could send a message or email to, that might be interested in coming?
Random thought: I don't know how common it is for employees of mainstream game companies to have indie spare time projects, but if it's even kind of common, then there's got to be some people at Bioware who would be interested in something like this.  They started off as a pretty indie company back in the day (two doctors who felt like making games instead of being doctors), and probably wouldn't mind sending the info throughout their office if you emailed them.  I just checked their website, and the contact email for something like this is [email protected]  I'm not totally sure whether you should contact them, but they're the main game company in Edmonton, so naturally they came to mind, even though this is an indie event.

Haha, well, I haven't done anything of note either, but I'll be there, hopefully working towards something of note!
Yes. Smiley I'm interested in what the post-heavy architecture student is capable of Wink
Well, I've been attempting to brush up on my GM (using it less these last couple years had really killed my former speed with it), and do one prototype a week.  Hasn't happened, of course, but I have started two (dropped the first after I realized that the idea was in fact not fun; I had to try to see), and I probably could finish the second with 1-4 hours of work, which I may have this weekend, depending on how my metal fabrication project is coming.

Anyway, I'm super pumped for it too now!  Kiss

I'm going to bring my snazzy portfolio (that I haven't made yet) to the Jam, so you guys can see what I've been doing instead of making games these past few months.  Thankfully, a fair amount of the skills I've picked up are transferable!  Grin

EDIT: Holy Shit, I just looked at my post count (which I've generally ignored after it passed 1000).  Shocked  I've got to spend less time on TIGS!  WTF
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 06:15:20 AM by GregWS » Logged
erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2009, 08:06:13 AM »

Anybody have any other suggestions of folks maybe I could send a message or email to, that might be interested in coming?

The Ludum Dare regulars from Edmonton that I know of are signed up on Doodle.  I sent a message to the Xgen guys using their contact form, but I didn't hear anything back from them.  If I get a chance, I'll mention it to the Edmonton Flash User Group and see if there is any game development interest there.

Does anyone here know anything about the companies on this list of Calgary Game Developers?

Other groups of programmers I can think of are the Undergrad Association Of Computing Science and BarCamp Edmonton but those might be a long shot for game developers.

Just a few more people need to be good for the first weekend of May and we can really get started setting this up.

It looks like the first weekend of May overlaps with the end of PyWeek, but that's not such a big deal. I might spend my time at the jam finishing a PyWeek entry.

Life Goes On - Use your dead bodies to solve puzzles and make progress.

Feedback Thread
ChevyRay
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »

Also, I just noticed that my name is only checked for the first half of the calendar on the Doodle page.

If you can edit those, Matt, please make it available for the whole month. Either way, we can just take that into consideration when we tally things up.
chrisL
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2009, 03:29:43 PM »

Just added my availability to the doodle page -- may 2nd will be tough for me (I have some family stuff to take care of), but I'll come by after that's all done.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2009, 05:10:44 PM »

OK, good to hear that you'd probably be able to be there for some of it then!  Smiley
chrisL
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2009, 08:54:45 PM »

You got it. The sooner we decide on a date the easier it'll be to figure out a venue... I can start poking around at the university for possible spaces.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2009, 09:44:35 PM »

Well, we're getting incredibly close to having the 12 Matt had set as a goal, so hopefully we'll be able to set that first weekend of May in stone.  I think Matt had already figured out about space at the U of A, actually, but I may very well be wrong.  Smiley
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2009, 08:50:44 AM »

I haven't decided on a space yet, and am definitely open to advice/suggestions!

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »

A couple notes about the Jam:

1. It will have to be BYOPC.

2. There will have to be some sort of cover charge.  This depends on the amount of people who are confirmed to be coming and the price of setting stuff up.  This will cover room rental + misc supplies + lunch for both days (probably just pizza).

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »

Sounds good!

I'd assumed it was BYOPC from the beginning, and all of us chipping in for lunches seems like a really good idea (and then presumably we'd do whatever for dinner).  Smiley
ChevyRay
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2009, 10:52:15 AM »

Yeah, it's not much at all when split up, especially with junk food like pizza. If money is an issue with anybody, whether it be for supplies or the ride, just let one of us know. I'd hate finances to prevent someone from being able to come.

This goes especially for those who gotta travel a ways. If we can help out at all, just toss a word. I know I wouldn't be shy about tossing a buck or two your way to fill up the gas tank.

If we can get a nice college space (which I'm really hoping we can), we'll still have to see about supplies. Depending on what they'll be able to provide, we might have to get a few nice powerbars brought in as well.

Weather is really starting to warm up here :D which is making me even more positive about this Jam.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »

Is that laughing because of the nasty snowstorm a couple days ago?  My family was complaining about it on the phone, and now it's made it's way to Winnipeg.  Lips Sealed

Anyway, I'd also be willing to chip in if finances are an issue, because that would be an awful reason to skip a Jam.  Smiley
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2009, 11:18:33 AM »

Aside from that snowstorm (which wasn't actually all that bad), the weather has been awesome here lately.  And by awesome I mean sunny and hovering around 0 celsius.

Also, just re-posting the sign-up link in case anyone is in this topic searching for it: http://doodle.com/cggpde5p7qyyy3h5

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2009, 05:16:58 PM »

Well it's good to hear it got nice.  It was nice here over the weekend, and it was nice enough on Monday night that I went for a 2 hour walk (ahh, relaxing!  Smiley), but then I woke up to the snow this morning...and the basic guarantee that the predicted flooding was going to be crazy.  WTF
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2009, 12:45:56 AM »

So, any news about the Jam?  Getting a room etc.?
ChevyRay
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2009, 08:21:03 AM »

ATM Matt is still finishing up school, and I'm not even in Edmonton right now. We'll be sure to keep you guys updated on the situation, though.
freedomdown
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »

I live in Calgary and would be down for going to Edmonton for a weekend. May is good for me, minus around my birthday and May 22, 2009 - May 24, 2009 for Lanageddon.

This should give me a deadline to get events working in my RPG, deadlines are always good motivators.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic