Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 08:20:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioGot any DMG-01 artists here?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Got any DMG-01 artists here?  (Read 1007 times)
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »

Just wondering if anyone here makes music on the original Gameboy. Just killed one of mine trying to mod it... yay.
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »

Grin So far I've only been playing around with several emulating vstis. I'm really curious about getting my hands on some lsdj or nanoloop cartridge but I didn't have some spare money left yet. Anyway, I've been playing around with my old Gameboy camera and it's really fun.
How do you make music with your Gameboy? I assume you're not taking the cartridge way, talking about modding.
GavinHarrisonSounds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 12:19:10 AM »

It's on my radar to get into next, coming from the tracker days myself in the early 90's!

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 06:51:06 AM »

oh hello!

I'm James from bright primate, one of the more successful chiptune bands. I've used gameboys for touring, recording and in my "day job" as a game music composer for around 4 years now. Plus I am friends with Johan and Oliver, who are the creators of LSDJ and nanoloop (the main tools used for writing music on gameboy hardware) and most of the professional mod community (nonfinite, asm, kitsch, etc). So let me know if you have questions? If there is anything I don't know, I can find out pretty easily Smiley

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »

@Lauchsuppe Actually no I am looking towards carts; the mods I'm doing are adding a backlight (if i ever want to write or play not under direct light) and a better quality sound output (i figure the typical sound people look for comes from the processing, not the quality output).

@Jamesprimate Hey! I really like your guys stuff. Oh cool I got my stuff off nonfinite. I'm going to spend some time next weekend working out why my DMG-01 doesn't turn on anymore. If I can't get my head around it I'll get in touch :D

Also for anyone reading this who is new to the concept, check out Bright Primate's stuff, but also check out my favourite artist, Bit Shifter (kind of a prodigy of the scene).
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »

oh! I might as well comment on the OP. Unless you are playing live, I I wouldn't worry about pro-sound modding or even backlighting really. The backlight is great for being on a dark stage, but adds a slight hum to the mix, and the only reason for the pro-sound is to drop the output to line-level for when you are running it to a PA. If you plan on recording with it, standard unmodded output is just fine, and the little bit of extra bass you get from the prosound can be duplicated by... simply EQing the bass up a bit. In fact, you would be surprised at how many famous chiptune tracks were recorded with just stock gameboys. The mod culture thing is fun, but I feel like there is a bit of gear fetish to it. So if you enjoy working with solder and all that then go for it! but it is in no way required to make good sounding hardware chiptune.

Beer!

oh! I should add that im being a bit hypocritical here, haha. I always record with prosounded backlit boys! I just don't want people to feel like they need expensive kit to get in the door. chiptune is cheap!  Hand Metal Right
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:51:34 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »

Fair points. But I mean I don't have a tracker cart yet, and I do have the equipment to mod it around the place. Also like doing that kind of thing. But I have to agree lots of people do it before trying out the vanilla sound.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic