Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 04:24:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Action Game Maker?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Action Game Maker?  (Read 4353 times)
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:44:38 AM »

I just got a newsletter from some German RPG Maker site I didn't know I was subscribed to, which mentioned news about the so called "Action Game Maker" by Enterbrain, the minds behind the RPG Maker (or at least the guys who bought it, from what I recall).

I can sadly only really link to the German post the newsletter linked to but it has some nice screenshots:
http://rpga.info/forum/showthread.php?t=47445

It has also more extensive information you can't decipher than the original product page, so yeh.

In essence, it's like a more customizable version of RPGMaker VX built around the concept of Action Games (Jump n Runs, Shooters).

What personally peaked most of interest though was the export option. Apparently the maker is able to export your game to a Standard exe with DirectX, Microsoft XNA or Adobe Flex SDK, meaning, if the information is not wrong and I understood it right, that you can export your game to Windows, Xbox360 and Flash.

I ran a forum search before posting this, which didn't turn up anything, so sorry if this is already widely available information.

If I judge the Japanese homepage right it's due for a (japanese) release on 5th March.

Edit:
Almost forgot, in the same Newsletter they also mentioned that Enterbrain released Demo games demonstrating the makers capabilities.

http://www.rpga.info/Ankuendigungen.html/p2_articleid/442
(The Download link may be a bit hard to spot, it's right below the block of text).+

Size is about 57MB (for three games, which seems a bit hefty to me, how is that supposed to be distributed by Flash?)

Controls are:
Fullscreen: F4
Movement: Cursor keys
Start: Space
Actions: X, W, A, D
Quit: ESC

Although I think that wouldn't have been so hard to figure out either, but eh.

And another Edit:
The download link on that page is broken Click here for the proper one.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:52:13 AM by Andreas Kämper » Logged
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:20:58 AM »

Size is about 57MB (for three games, which seems a bit hefty to me, how is that supposed to be distributed by Flash?)

Whilst most Flash games are played in the browser over the internet that doesn't need to be the case. 57MB is no problem for a Flash game provided it's installed to your hard drive.

choiniere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:35:32 AM »

http://www.actiongamemaker.com/

Here's a better link in english. This is not an official site, these are just people who snagged the url just in time.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 04:00:00 AM »

Meh, after RPG Maker 2k this all kinda lost its charm.  Shrug
I mean, With the RPG Maker XP already using Ruby there's not much that keeps you from programming your own game from scratch which will probably be easier in the long run anyway.

After all the great thing about the RPG Maker was that anyone can do it. Even scripting was really really simple.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 07:46:08 AM »

Using scripting in an engine designed to make RPGs sounds harder than making an action game in an engine designed for action games. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should -- if you wanted to make an action game it'd be far easier right now in GM than in RPG Maker XP. Also, I don't believe RPG Maker XP can export your game for XNA or for Flash. So I think this still might be interesting to people and have some advantages over the current market leaders in 2D game engines if it does what it claims.

DragonSix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:39:18 AM »

The demos are quite impressive. I will definitely check it out once it's released.
RayRayTea
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:24:31 PM »

Wow this looks fantastic! RPG Maker XP is a superbly designed tool and Enterbrain are very smart guys - so I hope this is as good as it looks.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »

This is very cool. Action games are the best. I'll probably check this out.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic