Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 07:23:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The Retro-Look of most Indie-Games
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The Retro-Look of most Indie-Games  (Read 6790 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »

Odin Sphere actually looks nicer to me than this game does, but it's too early to tell.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 02:27:24 PM »

Flash is really geared toward vector art rather than raster art -- you couldn't even do raster art in it in earlier versions if I remember.
Oh, yeah, surely. When I made that particular comment I was thinking more in terms of Flash making it difficult to do 3D, not Flash making it difficult to do non-pixel 2D. (Now that I think about it I can't think of anyone doing pixel art games in Flash except the Homestar Runner guys.) Of course, I may just be talking about something I don't know about there-- how difficult is it to do 3D in Flash? As far as I've ever been able to tell it requires the use of weird plugins.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 02:29:48 PM »

I imagine you could emulate 3D the way the SNES did with Starfox and Mode 7 and such; that wouldn't be too complex to code in Flash.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2009, 03:03:22 PM »

3d in Flash is increasingly plausible. There are several engines (not plugins), most notably Papervision, that are fairly mature. And the most recent API introduces extra functions for drawing polygons which will result in more solid performance once adopted by the engines (not sure on the progress status of that).

But 3d will never be awesome fast, just like Flash's 2d vector graphics are also known to be fairly slow, if expansive.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic