Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411671 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 04:24:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRussian Super Mall [Management Sim, Humor]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Russian Super Mall [Management Sim, Humor]  (Read 831 times)
MichaelTodd
Level 0

MT

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2016, 06:43:34 AM »

RUSSIAN SUPER MALL
- After the cold war, Russia was in massive debt. This is a top-secret project, to try out capitalism by opening a Mall. But bigger, better, more Russian. It will be a giant, conveyor-belt-supplied, atomic powered, top-secret, ultra-famous Russian Super Mall, built into the side of a volcano.

Style: I want to have a character on the UI bar, who walks around, plays animations and makes jokes (voice acted).
Lots of sex & bad puns. Like Factorio, but instead of iron & coal, it will have vodka & sex.
Note: I intend to voice act this game myself. Personal goal. My voice is terrible.

Example of humor level (3/10): "Knock knock", "who's there?", "Penis!" Facepalm

Art: Pixel art. Higher res than Queen Under The Mountain, to stretch my art skills a bit, but low enough res that art isn't the main thing I'll be stumbling over.

Music: Several layers, unlocked as you go. Mostly bad. Still looking for a Russian Elvis impersonator on music sites. The Tetris theme, if I can find a version I can use. Russian marching music. Shitty knock-offs of classic american music.

Sounds: Realistic sounds. Engines, creaking, voices. All from various sound royalty free sites, and I do all the audio mixing. (Personal goal: I've never done all of the audio for a large game before).

Gameplay: Basically, a game from playing several hundred hours of factorio, with some stuff inspired by production line/big pharama/space chem/infinifactory/etc. Also a bunch of lessons I've learned from the past 2 years on Queen Under The Mountain. The Russian style comes from Red Alert / the GTA 2 hotdog mission/Electronic Super Joy.

Factorio can be boiled down (rather too much, I'm sure) into objects, conveyor belts that move objects, robot arms that pick up & transfer objects, buildings that produce objects (mines), buildings that take in objects (labs), buildings that do both. So for now, I'm working on adding each of these things.

Once I've added all the basics, I want to add the Accounting screen (where you can see Mother Russia's debt, and pay it down), which will complete the gameplay loop. Then lengthen.

Only 1 level, randomly generated. Not playing around with missions/levels/worlds/etc. Main menu > Play button > In-Game > Victory screen > Main Menu.

Gifs:

As a note, I'm working on this as a side-side-side project from my day-job of QUTM (Queen Under The Mountain, buy it now on steam! etc etc), so I assume this dev log will have 3 posts, then gather dust for the rest of forever. I'm posting here to keep me motivated working in my spare time & to keep me making regular updates.

- Michael
@thegamedesigner
MichaelTodd
Level 0

MT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 07:10:56 AM »

Just an update. I'm working on the Vodka Still (a multi-tile obj that accepts objects "potatoes" and produces objects "vodka"), and the Vodka Shop, which is a room you have to fill with props (1 "Cashier" & 3 "Vodka Display Shelf", enclosed by walls, floored with "Mall Floor Tile").

Then this prototype should be close to having enough gameplay to put online somewhere.

MichaelTodd
Level 0

MT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 10:06:34 AM »

Working on Shops. This Vodka Shop is defined by the white dotted outline, and requires several things to be Active (2 Vodka Shelves, 1 Cashier, 1 Stock Worker).
Next up: Customers...
MichaelTodd
Level 0

MT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 08:19:26 AM »

Adding customers. No pathfinding or AI, the player needs to direct them around by placing signs that they obey (RoboRally style).

Take my money:
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic