Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 10:31:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOff And On Again: Publishing every second spent making a one-month game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Off And On Again: Publishing every second spent making a one-month game  (Read 722 times)
ironfroggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 23, 2016, 10:31:56 AM »

Hi, fellow game makers!

I wanted to try something different thing month. I've been doing that "One Game A Month" thing for a while, but this month I wanted to pay close attention to the time I spend on my games. I decided the best way to do that was to set a budget and work in discreet one hour chunks.

Then I realized I could record and post the entire game development process to YouTube as a 25 episode series! Over the course of 25 1-hour episodes I'll be sharing every step as I learn and practice game development. Think of it as a video devlog. Maybe someone will find it interesting? Maybe it'll just be interesting for me? Maybe I'll try it again some time. We'll see.

There are ELEVEN episodes live. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg8XhO9Ilwl9Bw9h5wimuRgx5VrK3D-Kb

The game I'm making this month is "Off And On Again". This is a simple light toggling puzzle game. The challenge is to turn all the lights on by toggling groups of them. When you toggle any light, it will toggle the lights near it as well, in a cross pattern by default. Some lights are Special Types, which might toggle an entire row, column, or a square shape. Some lights can't be clicked directly at all. You only have a certain number of moves to solve each puzzle.

So far, play tests have gone well! People pick it up and enjoy it. I'm about 65% of the way done, with plenty of time to work on more levels, polish, and just a little bit of promotion.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:45:41 PM by ironfroggy » Logged
ironfroggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 06:45:10 PM »

Off And On Again is a series of light puzzles. You must turn all the lights on, but you must do so by flipping them in patterns. If you turn one light on or off, you'll be flipping lights around it, too. If you can find the right combination, you'll brighten up the board and move on to the next challenge.

This was more than just a game. This was a public project in putting light on the hobbyist game development experience. Created over 25 hours, every single minute of the development of Off And On Again is available as part of a YouTube series Let's Make A Game. If you're interested in learning from this process and seeing what came out of it, you can watch the entire creation of Off And On Again and then play the game for yourself.

The Series:

The Game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stonebirdgames.OffAndOnAgain
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic